The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 23, 2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Hans

Remington 870 LW stock change

I am in need of some help from someone with more gunsmithing experience than I have (which is probably anyone viewing this forum).

I have an 870 LW Wingmaster 20 ga. that my father-in-law gave me. It is NOT the magnum version. I have 2 boys just getting old enough to bird hunt, and the stock is far too long for them. I need to switch it out for a stock with a youth LOP for a few years until they are big enough to handle the full length version.

So my questions are:

Does the recoil pad come off without cutting? It is the original pad, and it seems to be glued on. If not, I guess I will have to cut it off and replace it with a slip on version later, which isn't a big deal. It is a fairly heavily used gun, and won't be getting sold.

Also, will a regular 870 20 ga. youth replacement stock work or will I have to find one specifically for the 870 LW? I think the receiver is smaller on the LW.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old November 23, 2015, 10:03 AM   #2
hoghunting

The recoil pad should have two screws holding it onto the stock. If you squeeze the sides of the pad together you should see the two small slits where the screws are located. Put a few drops of oil on a Phillips screw driver and you should be able to unscrew the pad without damaging it.
Old November 23, 2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Hans

Thanks, I will check it out after work.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old November 24, 2015, 02:26 AM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

To get the length of pull right, have your sons to hold their forearm out at a 90 deg. angle to their shoulder, and curl their index finger as if placing it on a trigger. Measure from their curled finger, to the bend of the elbow, on top. That is the length of pull, and it should measure the same from the trigger on the gun, to the rear of the pad at its middle. When complete, they should be able to lay the stocks pad in the bend of their elbow, and their finger lay on the trigger.

Take that measured pull dimension, and subtract it from the length of pull on the gun, now, and that will tell you how much to shorten it.
Old November 25, 2015, 01:40 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Gunparts lists a black, checkered, synthetic youth stock at $27.30. They do not list the actual LOP though. Product #1194330.
Do what Dixie Gunsmithing says using a yard stick, first. Mind you, it'll matter if your two eating machines do not have the same LOP.
"...on a Phillips screw driver..." Assuming it is a Phillips screw.
You'll need a 12" screw driver to get the current stock off too.