The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 14, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Who has all the 9x19??????

Every place I searched on the internet is sold out of 9mm ball. My LGS is hording with a 4 box limit and he gets $14 for 115gr ball. I usually buy 124gr ball for $10 online. I cant find Federal 30-06 165 Sierra game king BT either. Im afraid to go to the range and end up with none.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2
TommyP

Cheaper than dirt has some 9mm, but prices are a wee bit on the high side.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
hardworker

I watched a guy at walmart today buy about 20 boxes of federal 9mm. Cleaned them out. Far be it from me to tell another man what he needs, but I think people like him are the reason we're having this problem.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:37 PM   #4
TommyP

^ Agreed. I went to Academy today and all they had in-stock for pistol ammo was .45LC and 10mm Hornady Zombie Max....
Old January 14, 2013, 07:39 PM   #5
BoogieMan

I have found a few JHP and PD ammo places. But im shooting a fair amount paper and steel. Need cheep ball ammo.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6
5.56RifleGuy

$14 sounds pretty fair considering the demand and being the only person around that has it in stock. 4 box limit is pretty reasonable too, if you dont want a few people buying all of it. He has to make some money, and he probably paid $10 for the ammo he is selling.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

It's not me. I only have about 6,000 rounds.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:55 PM   #8
BoogieMan

Quote:
$14 sounds pretty fair considering the demand and being the only person around that has it in stock. 4 box limit is pretty reasonable too, if you dont want a few people buying all of it. He has to make some money, and he probably paid $10 for the ammo he is selling.
Im not calling the LGS out. He has always been fair with me. Thats also what he normaly sells the stuff for. To break even I have to buy 5 boxes from the internet. 6th box and up is my savings. Thats why I usually go in with a buddy and get at least 20 boxes. That puts me at $120 for 500 rnds or $0.24. I guess its really not that big a deal. His price is $0.28.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 08:01 PM   #9
MDB

This has been coming for 4 years. I am really shocked that people are without ammunition. Fifty years ago my dad taught me to buy when you can, as often as you can and whatever is available. Good luck and stock up it's only going to get worse.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:03 PM   #10
bigkrackers

It's also those people that make a private living shooting. These people are buying pallets of ammo when they can. Bulk ammo suppliers are selling in 24hrs what they would in a month. It's probably going to take a while for this to calm down and then another long stretch of time for the supply to come back.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:06 PM   #11
5.56RifleGuy

I should have ordered a pallet of 5.45x39, but I couldnt get anyone to commit to spliting it with me. It will have to calm down sometime.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:34 PM   #12
BoogieMan

My LGS was selling pallets of 12ga skeet loads. Thats over 5g's a pallet. I guess if its your pasion then go with it.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 08:48 PM   #13
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan
I cant find Federal 30-06 165 Sierra game king BT either.
I'm not one for the tin foil hat crowd, it's hot and my fashion major lady friend has strong opinions on head wear, but I have noticed the same thing.

My local LGS, Bass Pro Shops, and the gun store in my college town all have assorted reloaded components, or had have had at various times since the election, just in spurts, but that being said, the Sierra Game King Boat Tails, or any Sierra .30-06/.308 loading is impossible to find.

I wouldn't say anything about this other than the fact that after the book "Point of Impact" was released with the film "Shooter" I read several op-eds and lterary reviews decrying the loading information put forth by Stephen Hunter in the book. Sierra Boat Tail Hollow Points being the primary bullet used by the protagonist in his rifle.

I swear, we, as the gun culture, are our own worst enemies sometimes.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:04 PM   #14
geetarman

Ammoman seems to have quite a bit in stock.

I managed to get 2000 rounds locally for $500 a month ago. It is all gone today and you will pay more if you can find it.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 14, 2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Jeff H

Quote:
That puts me at $120 for 500 rnds or $0.24. I guess its really not that big a deal. His price is $0.28.
I guess I'll be the first one in this thread to point out that you can reload cheap lead target loads for $0.14 if you save the brass you shoot.

$0.14 is a conservative number for lead. Bulk buyers and bullet casters can get the price ridiculously low. I've seen $.06 tossed around before but that depends on how much time you are willing to put into it. .
Old January 14, 2013, 10:29 PM   #16
SauerGrapes

These are the times I'm happy to be a reloader. I see no shortage in reloading componenets as of now.
You guys might want to consider it.
I don't understand the spike in ammo. Do people think the government is going to ban ammo?
We really are our own worst enemy. We create a problem where one didn't exist.
I had been thinking about buying an AR before all this went down. Now I'll never buy one due to the price spike.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 14, 2013, 10:37 PM   #17
armoredman

"Buy" ammo...what is this "buy" you speak of?

Actually, I got caught flat footed with 22lr ammo, and its gone too. It is now more economical to shoot 9mm than 22lr.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:23 AM   #18
chris in va

Ditto, I haven't 'bought' 9mm in years. Reloaders are less susceptible to ammo shortages.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:42 AM   #19
spacecoast

Quote:
I see no shortage in reloading componenets as of now.
That may be because you are not looking. Have you looked for primers lately?
Old January 15, 2013, 09:30 AM   #20
EdInk

Reloaders are going to be the suppliers one day.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:37 AM   #21
orionengnr

Quote:
My LGS is hording (sic) with a 4 box limit and he gets $14 for 115gr ball.
No, he's just keeping anyone from being this guy:

Quote:
I watched a guy at walmart today buy about 20 boxes of federal 9mm. Cleaned them out.
Four years ago was not a long time. How is it possible that none of you remembers it? Exact same deal.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:22 AM   #22
BoogieMan

Quote:
I guess I'll be the first one in this thread to point out that you can reload cheap lead target loads for $0.14 if you save the brass you shoot.

$0.14 is a conservative number for lead. Bulk buyers and bullet casters can get the price ridiculously low. I've seen $.06 tossed around before but that depends on how much time you are willing to put into it.
I dont think that uncoated lead will cycle in my 1911/9mm. Its a little finicky even with the polished ramp.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 15, 2013, 10:25 AM   #23
EdInk

I like to shoot about 200-300 rounds of 9mm per range trip. When I finally found about 600 rounds of practice ammo last week I bought it. I can now go to the range and shoot some of it. That's its purpose, right? I ask because some guys are seemingly planning to use it instead of bricks to build an addition on their homes. (Guys still with untouched 5000+ rounds from the 2008 shortage )

I have been caught without any practice ammo before and will not let it happen to me again. (It sucks not being able to go shooting for 2-3 months.) I buy ammo with the plan of actually shooting it and having enough for a few range trips, in case I can't find any the week or two before I plan to go to the range.

I don't hoard (stockpile a bunch and not ever actually shoot it) ammo. I don't see the point. (You maybe able to sell some of it early on for a little profit during a shortage like this one BUT that's about it.)

If ammo is ever so regulated or banned that it becomes a truly valuable trade commodity, reloaders and black market dealers will be the owns to become wealthy because they have a RENEWABLE source for the ammo. (Just like moonshiners and mobsters during alcohol prohibition.) I don't think ammo, for recreational use, will ever get "that bad" in the US though in our lifetime... unless its due to heavy taxation on it. (In which case "Reloaded Ammo=Moonshine" No tax.)

I recommend people buy enough to continue their hobby as normal for a couple months and pick-up a few boxes as they see them on routine trips to the stores.

That's my .02 about ammo hoarding and stuff.

However, I firmly believe in everyone's right to have as much ammo as they want to own! Make no mistake about it!
Old January 15, 2013, 12:04 PM   #24
UtopiaTexasG19

"Do people think the government is going to ban ammo?"

No, some are afraid of cival disorder with no way to protect their loved ones.
Your neighbor is only a neighbor until he runs out of food.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:25 PM   #25
SauerGrapes

Quote:
That may be because you are not looking. Have you looked for primers lately?
I don't need to look any farther than my local dealer. If you need to buy online, that may well be a different story.

R.I.P.____Murphy