The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
RoscoeC

Want a Beretta 390 (Wal Mart Gun)???

Ok, I have seen a lot of posts lately regarding the Beretta AL390, widely known as the "Wal Mart Gun". I came home from work today to find the Cabela's Sale flyer in my mailbox. The Beretta 390 is featured for $549.00.

Also, they list a Remington 870 with an HD barrel (it doesn't say, but I assume it is 18 1/2"), and a 26" field barrel. Price $399.00. Nice.

And to top it all off they list a Stoeger M2000 with a short HD barrel, and a 26" Field barrel. The Photo shows it with a vent rib. $459.00

I have no affiliation with Cabelas and no interest whatever other than I have seen numerous posts from people looking for the Beretta 390.

I have seen several posts stating that Remington did not have the 870 combo with 2 smooth bore barrels. Evidently they do.

And finally, I am just a fan of the Stoeger M2000 and think this is an incredibly good deal.

Here's the flier online: http://cabelasflyers.dirxion.com/q0v...Code=q0v09flx#
NRA Life Member

Last edited by RoscoeC; September 15, 2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:33 PM   #2
LanceOregon

Note: The Beretta 390 and AL390 were both Italian made shotguns, which are no longer in production. The 390 used a steel receiver, while the slightly lighter AL390 had an aluminum receiver.

The shotgun that you see on sale in that ad is a Beretta Model 3901 American, which is made in the USA at the same factory that makes the M9 handgun for US Army.

It is basically a clone of the old AL390, but with a cheaper matte blue finish and with no chrome bolt.

--
Old September 17, 2009, 12:31 AM   #3
RoscoeC

Quote:
Note: The Beretta 390 and AL390 were both Italian made shotguns, which are no longer in production. The 390 used a steel receiver, while the slightly lighter AL390 had an aluminum receiver.
I have an old A390. Made in Italy. Aluminum receiver. I also have an AL390 bought nearly 2 years ago. Marked on both sides of the receiver "Made in USA". The barrel is marked "Made in Italy".

Quote:
The shotgun that you see on sale in that ad is a Beretta Model 3901 American, which is made in the USA at the same factory that makes the M9 handgun for US Army.
The shotgun you see in that add is an AL390, just like the one I bought. It technically is not a 3901, although about the only difference that I can see is the markings and the 3901 is a rounded receiver while the AL390 is semi-humpback. The receiver is made in Accokeek, Maryland, the Beretta factory and as stated before, the barrel is made in Italy. The 3901 while virtually the same gun (no doubt finished a bit better) will cost you about $200.00 more.

Quote:
It is basically a clone of the old AL390, but with a cheaper matte blue finish and with no chrome bolt.
Now that is almost correct. It is a clone of the old A390, but with a cheaper matte blue finish and no chrome bolt. And a semi humpback receiver rather than the rounded one.
NRA Life Member
Old September 18, 2009, 01:27 AM   #4
zippy13

RoscoeC,

The $200 difference you mentioned doesn't seem that high when you consider that a basic Remington 870 Wingmaster has a MSRP $400 more than the basic 870 Express.
Old September 18, 2009, 11:23 AM   #5
RoscoeC

Good point, Zippy13. In the world of quality Semi Auto shotguns, especially ones with the sterling reputation that these enjoy, $200.00 isn't much. On the other hand it can make the difference between someone being able to afford a 390 or having to settle for something less.
NRA Life Member