The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 26, 2009, 09:33 AM   #76
Alert

Quote:
You gotta get a btter "license".......
it's the only one Alabama issues to non law enforcement personnel, so it'll have to suffice
Old January 26, 2009, 10:21 AM   #77
Croz

Quote:
"My wife and I took my mom out to eat last night.
Here's what I had with me:"

Ear plugs??? Hm, I suppose if I were a mugger and my victim calmly inserted ear plugs, I might decide to rob someone else
If I took my wife and mom out to dinner, I'd have earplugs too. But they'd be for the dinner, not necessarily the walk in the dark back to the car...
Old January 26, 2009, 11:09 AM   #78
kiov

try carrying two and see how it feels. my guess is that after carrying two for awhile, you will go back to one. i also think that, in general, an extra mag is a better choice than an extra gun.

as many have said, it all depends on your situation. for me, one very trusted gun makes me feel well protected. i already get enough grief for carrying one; if i started carrying two most non-TFL folks would consider me (more) paranoid, and for my low risk environment, they would likely be right.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:22 AM   #79
Alert

Quote:
You gotta get a btter "license".......
you have license in quotes like you may have thought I misspelled the word (the irony is your spelling of better), in which case you may want to look it up
Old January 26, 2009, 11:25 AM   #80
overkill556x45

I'm looking at a J-Frame to stick in my weak side pocket. My current plan for CCW (STILL waiting for sheriff to hold the class-4 months waiting now.... ) is my M&P9C IWB at 4 o'clock, extra mag in left rear pants pocket, J-frame in left jacket pocket (either interior or exterior left pocket). If I run through 24 rounds of 9mm, and 5 rounds of .38spl+p, either I won't need any more or more won't do me any good.

I like the idea of having two guns in two different locations. Plus I really want a J-frame and need to convince my wife that I really need it.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:36 AM   #81
Shadi Khalil

I guess I think its overkill but I am not in your situation. I carry an extra mag and I think thats over kill and sometimes quite uncomfortable.
Old January 26, 2009, 12:30 PM   #82
Japle

OK, for those who wonder why I carry the earplugs, it's not for the shootout.
I lost a lot of hearing in the service. When I get into noisy environments, like the damn loud trailers they show in the movies, I remove my hearing aids and use the plugs. Same goes for concerts.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:28 PM   #83
Glenn E. Meyer

It's not overkill. It's for when things really go bad, that small percentage of the time. Since it is a small percentage of the time, it usually isn't needed but when it is - then it's good to have.

Personally, when someone carries on that it is nutty to have this level of extra equipment, I really don't pay attention to that.

I've seen stuff break or get lost. If circumstance occur that it gets lost or break in a bad incident, then you got extra.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:47 PM   #84
Creature

Quote:
It's not overkill. It's for when things really go bad, that small percentage of the time. Since it is a small percentage of the time, it usually isn't needed but when it is - then it's good to have.

Personally, when someone carries on that it is nutty to have this level of extra equipment, I really don't pay attention to that.

I've seen stuff break or get lost. If circumstance occur that it gets lost or break in a bad incident, then you got extra.
+1...but stand by for the "its just stupid to carry an extra magazine"-crowd to come barging in to further pontificate that the statistical likelihood of needing one, let alone two weapons, is so infinitely small as to make carrying even one weapon completely irrational!
Old January 26, 2009, 03:09 PM   #85
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...stand by for the "its just stupid to carry an extra magazine"-crowd...
Wow, I'm glad I'm not in that crowd. All I ever said was that needing an extra mag was too unlikely for me to carry one and that anyone who wants to should go right ahead and do it. A BUG is in the same category. Carry one if you want, I don't want.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:15 PM   #86
Playboypenguin

Quote:
...stand by for the "its just stupid to carry an extra magazine"-crowd...
If it is so stupid, why do shoulder holsters always have a place for an extra magazine? Huh...answer me that.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:25 PM   #87
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
pontificate that the statistical likelihood of needing one, let alone two weapons, is so infinitely small as to make carrying even one weapon completely irrational!
I think those who choose that path, Grasshopper - will see the Wrath of Pax.

We beat that to a bloodly pulp.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:28 PM   #88
garryc

I'd say the only reasons to carry two would be in case you loose control of the primary or it fails when you need it. That isn't likely to happen so I carry an extra mag on my off side. If you want a second gun, there isn't anything wrong with that. But where would you carry it? On the ankle is crappy in my view.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:41 PM   #89
alistaire

If it is legal to carry more than one gun, why settle for only two?
Old January 26, 2009, 03:43 PM   #90
Creature

Quote:
If it is so stupid, why do shoulder holsters always have a place for an extra magazine? Huh...answer me that.
Goooood question.....balance?

Last edited by Creature; January 26, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old January 26, 2009, 04:37 PM   #91
LanceOregon

I generally carry either my Kahr or my Walther in a holster, together with my Taser in a pants pocket.

Some pants like JC Penny's Stafford Pleated Dress pants have a nice change pocket inside the right pocket. The pocket itself is very generous in size. And the front of my Taser C2 fits very snugly inside the inner change pocket, keeping it upright and centered inside the pocket. I then put my wallet over it, which totally hides the taser's outline.

I've actually got pretty good about being able to draw my Taser quickly.

I have IWB holsters for both pistols. This combo of pistol and taser is typically my carry setup for most of the year.

Old January 26, 2009, 05:04 PM   #92
Hunter Rose

Location: 30 miles from Everywhere, right in the middle of Nowhere...
Heh... some ask why multiples. Maybe because you need to carry with extra layers?

Seem to recall one lady on here carrying:

1911 @ 4 o'clock IWB
S&W J frame in left front pocket
2nd S&W in right jacket handwarmer pocket
S&W snub .44 in purse

Nobody argued that she was going for "overkill".

as for the "statistically, you only need..." crowd: if I need to use a weapon to defend my life, I've already dropped into a statistical anomoly. And now you want me to play the odds?
Old January 26, 2009, 06:10 PM   #93
Magyar

Quote:
Weight distribution....All my nicer rigs have two mag pouchs on the opposite end...Wearing them w/o, I can see the point of why. It's kind of a "Ying & Yang" thing....
PBP, my rigs, Safariland & Bianchi are not attached..Yes, if to a belt; no problem with balance...

Last edited by Magyar; January 26, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old January 26, 2009, 06:12 PM   #94
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Weight distribution....All my nicer rigs have two mag pouchs on the opposite end...Wearing them w/o, I can see the point of why. It's kind of a "Ying & Yang" thing....
Actually, the mag side is attached to you belt...so the added weight of the mag does little to effect anything.
Old January 26, 2009, 07:50 PM   #95
Creature

Balance!...as in symmetry!
Old January 26, 2009, 07:52 PM   #96
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Balance!...as in symmetry!
Oh yes, that part is important.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:28 PM   #97
Crankylove

I only carry one pistol, and sometimes a spare mag. Carryin more than one isnt for me, but to each his own, who am I to pass judgement. Besides, the CCW for Utah is only valid for one concealed firearm, so even it I wanted to, I couldn't legally.
Old January 27, 2009, 12:57 AM   #98
skeeter

Wouldn't a pair of Glocks balance you out nicely? That wouldn't be "overkill" it would be balanced.
Old January 27, 2009, 01:12 AM   #99
bds32

Negative on the overkill. Carrying two guns is just plain smart. Do not convince yourself that you are paranoid. You may live your whole life and never need either one or......
Old January 27, 2009, 01:32 AM   #100
Big Bill

I watched Bruce Willis in "Last Man Standing" and didn't think his two gun carry was overkill!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Closed Thread