The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 9, 2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Mr.XD9mm

.380 ACP Hornandy TAP or Critical Defense?

Hello all what do you think would be better to carry in the .380 Hornadys new Critical Defense line or Hornadys TAP bullet. Both seem to be similar on ballistics but which one would you prefer having to choose between either of these?

Carrying 9mm 124gr TAP's in my CCW but carry my Ruger LCP as well.
Seems like if the TAP's are good enough for law enforcement to carry then I feel it would do the trick for us. Maybe a little overkill for what we might encounter but better a little extra penetration than the average round.

What are your views and thoughts have seen how the Critical Defense handles on Guns And Ammo TV, but it appears to be the same XTP bullet that the TAP uses with the exception of the rubber material that fills the cavity of the bullet.
Tap's are supposed to expand nicely shooting through clothing and body cavities as well. All feedback welcomed even law enforcement on which one you would prefer for the caliber and bullets above.
Old January 9, 2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

bullets

They are a bit different. In the XTP bullet, the jacket is rolled over a little bit into the hollow point. I've never been a big fan of the XTP, I think it under-expands and over penetrates. My "stopping power" needs are normally filled by something that expands big and maybe fragments. The CD bullet looks different, the copper is not rolled over the edge of the hollow point and the hole is actually deeper (if you can't resist pulling out the rubber plug like we did) I would prefer the CD ammo myself.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:23 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

can't tell from here

Test both in your gun and let it decide.......(the LCP may launch varying loads to distinctly different point of impact).