The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 22, 2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Ben Swenson

Connection reset errors

I've been getting connection reset errors from TFL on a fairly regular basis (maybe 5% of page loads).

Anyone else getting these?

FWIW, refreshing usually brings up the page.
Old May 22, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2
tyme
Staff

After a significant delay or within 20 seconds or so?

I haven't noticed anything, but it would explain some other things...
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old May 22, 2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Ben Swenson

Quote:
After a significant delay or within 20 seconds or so?
Oddly enough, no.

On Firefox, if I'm paying attention I can see the page start to load and then immediately flash to the Connection Reset error page.

Total time from click to error is less than five seconds.

I am not getting this error with other sites. It may well just be my machine or connection, but I thought I'd see if others were noticing a problem. I've seen a bunch of multiple posts that might be caused by a similar error (post is submitted, connection is reset, poster doesn't think post was submitted, page refreshed, post is resubmitted).
Old May 22, 2006, 11:59 AM   #4
tyme
Staff

I have a sneaking suspicion the firewall isn't natting connections reliably. Will look into it.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old May 22, 2006, 12:38 PM   #5
Ben Swenson

Thanks Tyme.

And thanks for all the work you've put into geting TFL back online.
Old May 23, 2006, 12:23 AM   #6
tyme
Staff

The new colo has some agressive network filters. It's possible you're inadvertently tripping one. When it happens again, get an accurate timestamp (plus timezone), and pm me that and your ip (if different from the one you used to post these last few messages) and I'll ask the colo people to check.
Old May 23, 2006, 10:29 AM   #7
Ben Swenson

Will do.
Old May 23, 2006, 01:16 PM   #8
Ben Swenson

Just had a handful of these errors. Sent you a PM or two. Hopefully two.

Got another one when trying to load the Reply screen here.
Old May 23, 2006, 10:26 PM   #9
tyme
Staff

Has anyone else noticed occasional connection resets?

I sent the info to the colo for them to check. There's nothing relevant in the apache error log.

Assuming they claim it's not a firewall issue, can you run a packet sniffer and log traffic to/from tfl until it happens again?

I'm running tcpdump on the server for your ip. If you can get a packet log from your side and a rough timestamp (just note the url and rough time and I can get an accurate timestamp), comparing the two logs should conclusively resolve whether the firewall's at fault.

Even without the log, given another timestamp we can at least find out if the tfl server is the culprit. There just won't be any evidence that the colo's firewall is sabotaging the connection.

There are other strange network lags/disconnects with the server, but I haven't noticed anything of that sort on the website.
Old May 24, 2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Ben Swenson

Quote:
Assuming they claim it's not a firewall issue, can you run a packet sniffer and log traffic to/from tfl until it happens again?
Sure thing. Running EtherDetect filtered for TFL's IP right now.
Quote:
I'm running tcpdump on the server for your ip.
Argh! Big brother! Big brother!
Quote:
If you can get a packet log from your side and a rough timestamp (just note the url and rough time and I can get an accurate timestamp), comparing the two logs should conclusively resolve whether the firewall's at fault.
You got it. I'll PM you if I get another one of those disconnects.
Old May 24, 2006, 08:55 AM   #11
Ben Swenson

Got one when going to http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=211533 at about 0951 eastern.

Packet log forthcoming.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:01 PM   #12
tyme
Staff

Your firewall seems to be broken.

You got two TCP resets 6 seconds after the http request, and they weren't sent by the TFL server. 15 seconds after the http request, the TFL server got a RST out of the blue, with reset cause given as "ehnc", documented here:
http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=2

The response to any given page request has a half dozen or more tcp fragments. In this case, one of them got lost (seq num 5841 is missing, the next one you got was seq 7301 in packet 1968 in your log).

SonicWall must have decided, inappropriately, that a missing tcp fragment constituted a Breach of the Peace, and proceeded to wreck the connection by sending a RST to your machine. After it closed its connection, the firewall dropped the connection from its connection table, and when TFL retransmitted the lost fragments, it got a RST with the "ehnc" message.

If there's a newer sonicwall firmware than you're using, try upgrading.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:36 PM   #13
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I coulda figured that out....
-
NOT!
Old May 24, 2006, 09:12 PM   #14
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Heck Rich, at least you understood what he said! I'm still trying to figure out what language he's speaking!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 24, 2006, 09:28 PM   #15
Rich Lucibella
Staff

He's speaking a decipherable language?
Yeah, I knew that.
Rich
Old May 24, 2006, 10:34 PM   #16
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

LOL!!

Ben, ya just gotta thank your lucky stars that tyme is a good guy!

Charlie? Ya really don't want to know!
Old May 24, 2006, 10:52 PM   #17
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Charlie? Ya really don't want to know!
Know what? That's he's got transistors instead of neurons and thinks in binary?

Just kidding Tyme! You're one sharp cookie and I'm envious .

Back when DOS was Boss, and Veronica and Archie were more than comic book characters, I was halfways sharp at this stuff (I still use DOS for a lot of things), but I just couldn't keep up with it. Today, I'm so far behind I could never catch up. Besides, the mind just ain't as sharp when you're pushing 60 .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 25, 2006, 07:18 AM   #18
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Charlie
That's he's got transistors instead of neurons and thinks in binary?
Reminds me of the old sigline: There's 10 kinds of people. Those who know binary and those who don't.
Old May 25, 2006, 10:13 AM   #19
Ben Swenson

Thanks, Tyme! Sorry to burn so much of your ... er ... time.

We're moving offices in a few weeks and after we get settled in I'll rebuild the firmware on our firewall.
Old May 30, 2006, 06:59 PM   #20
Edward429451

It cleared up for a few days but I'm getting garbled E-Mail notifications again. Not all of them but maybe 1/2 or so.
Old May 31, 2006, 08:30 AM   #21
tyme
Staff

Are you sure they're not old notifications? I got a few notifications yesterday from posts on May 23rd-ish. They may or may not have been "garbled" (the garbling only happens on old/utf8-incompatible email clients, and I didn't check for that in the email before deleting it)

If you're getting notifications dated this week that are garbled, please repost.
Old May 31, 2006, 08:43 AM   #22
Edward429451

I got 4 garbled ones total. The last good one was at 139 pm on 05-30 followed by three garbled ones at 2:09 and one more garbled one at 2:10 pm and havent got any more garbled ones since.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:00 AM   #23
tyme
Staff

I think the colo people didn't notice that I ditched qmail for postfix and were messing around with stuff they didn't understand.