The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1
MB21

STI 1911?

So my brother is currently in Special Forces Q course, and upon graduation my dad and his best friend want to get him a 1911. My dad's friend has suggested getting the cheapest STI 1911 and having a gunsmith put good sights and a good trigger on.

Both my dad and I are skeptical of STI, as this pistol is meant to be one he will love and shoot for the rest of his life and we haven't even heard of the company. I lurk Semi-auto forum and rarely see suggestions of getting STI pistols.

I personally haven't heard of STI 1911s. I suggested a Kimber, Smith&Wesson, SIG, or Springfield personally. My dad also wants to get him a SIG 1911.

What would you guys suggest? We want a brand new pistol, hopefully under $800 that can be gunsmithed to a custom quality. Our friend suggests STI, we are thinking more along the lines of a SIG.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Venom1956

It would be cheaper to just get a custom gun built from scratch then taking a production one and trying to make it better. Your price would be over 2k easy.

I'd skip MIMber, Springer is good but some of both SIG and S&W 1911s have external extractors which aren't true copies of a 1911. I agree with Dan Spartan V is great compared to the alternatives you listed.

Best and Cheapest rarely coincide. Go cheap your getting a cast frame and MIM parts. Which may not be what you want...

Here's my advice. Give him the cash let him pick out a gun he likes. Much better then a cheap pistol with a bunch a bits tacked on. It'll still always be that cheaper pistol.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; February 22, 2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to talk about the Spartan.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
MB21

It is meant to be a sentimental thing though. Look at it this way. You just spent 2 years of your life getting your ass kicked by everything the military has to throw at you. On your graduation day, when you see your father, what would you rather get? A check for $1500 or a beautiful, deadly piece of steel.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I'd suggest taking a look at bac1023's Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...
Old February 22, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Venom1956

Quote:
A check for $1500 or a beautiful, 600 dollar deadly piece of steel
Then just go get the best 1500 dollar 1911. Personally I'd go for the check.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; February 22, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:58 PM   #6
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
I personally haven't heard of STI 1911s. I suggested a Kimber, Smith&Wesson, SIG, or Springfield personally. My dad also wants to get him a SIG 1911.
i put STI above all the others you listed. even the spartan V is amazing. you won't need to upgrade the sights, because the ones that come on it are top notch. sig is still ironing out the bugs in its 1911 line. the gsr line was terrible. the new ones are better, but they just haven't been doing it long enough. then you have people like kimber who have been doing it for ages, and get it worse every time they do a redesign.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 22, 2013, 04:01 PM   #7
e-mishka

STI pistols are one of THE names in the competition shooting. You can get eagle http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...94F-1223671498 for under 2k, its very nice out of the box.
Old February 22, 2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Andrewh

STI spartan starts at 650 give or take.
while it is their "cheapest" pistol, it is not the lowest end you are going to find.

it is a match grade barrel, with beavertail, adjustible rear sights and fiber optic front sight.

It is cheap because it is mostly sourced from overseas.

same price gets you the GI version of the springfield, which has none of the extra features.

can't buy a kimber or colt for that price.

That being said, at 1500, I would look at Dan Wesson pistols, or colt as a gift gun honestly.
but nothing wrong with the STI at all.
they have higher priced versions and all are good.
Old February 22, 2013, 04:29 PM   #9
gunluver

I own 2 STI's. a Spartan V which I use in IDPA competition....runs like a sewing machine. Also own a STI Guardian which I carry occasionally, also very reliable and accurate.
I highly recommend STI
Old February 22, 2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_holster_dan
i put STI above all the others you listed. even the spartan V is amazing. you won't need to upgrade the sights, because the ones that come on it are top notch. sig is still ironing out the bugs in its 1911 line. the gsr line was terrible. the new ones are better, but they just haven't been doing it long enough. then you have people like kimber who have been doing it for ages, and get it worse every time they do a redesign.
Dan sums it up very nicely. STI is one of the very best producers of 1911s, and (IMH) far better than SIG or Kimber. Personally, for a returning warrior my choice would be a Colt simply because Colt did it first and the name Colt is historically associated with the M1911 but, if the Colt name isn't important to you, it would be difficult to find a better choice than an STI unless you go for a fully custom-built pistol.
Old February 22, 2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Caz83

STI is great but I'm partial to Dan Wesson's as far as a gift item. Their low end is gorgeous and don't have the huge ad on the side as most of the Manufacturers you've listed. Simple, suttle and finished beautifully. Checkout their Heritage or Pointman 7. Just did a search for the Pointman 7 and it can be had right at $11-1200.
Old February 22, 2013, 05:33 PM   #12
TxFlyFish

Sti is one of the better known names in 1911. Quality products, absolutely abysmal roll marks and naming
Old February 22, 2013, 06:08 PM   #13
g.willikers

Check out the equipment used by the Open and Limited class shooters at any major USPSA or IPSC match.
Lots of STIs and SVIs, a similar company.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:24 PM   #14
Noreaster

Great idea. Don't worry about upgrading anything on a new gun, just get the STI and let him change sights and trigger if he wants to, (probably wont as the trigger will be much better then anything he's been issued and shooting.) Real nice graduation present, you guys put allot of thought into it and I'm sure he'll cherish it.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:39 PM   #15
g.willikers

And if he doesn't want it, you can have a raffle for it, right here.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:43 PM   #16
CurlyQ.Howard

http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns.htm
Brazos will customize your STI. Plus they sell at a discount. Now I have not purchased an STI from Brazos, but I've been aware of them for four years now and have yet to read anything bad about them.

Uncle Ted's endorsement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmfLZ4TnW7E

http://www.stiguns.com

Last edited by CurlyQ.Howard; February 22, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:09 PM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

Ok since this is a gift gun to a service member as a graduation gift. Why not get any 1911(Pick one that is nice, and can be shot if desired). Then have a nice personalized presentation case made for it? A nice well finished shadow box, with a graduation picture, and a brass plate engraved to state the occasion of why it was gifted, and whom it was gifted from.

Note Extra points if the case dispalys things like a Ranger tab patch, the silver ice cream cone, ect.

He would treasure it as a prized posession. Especialy the case.

My grampa made something similar for a cousin of mine that went into Para Rescue in the USAF. That case hangs on his home office wall today. He considers it one of his mosed prized worldly possesions. I am sure your bother would be the same way about a similar gift.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:40 PM   #18
qwiksdraw

The more you learn about STI the more you will want one. The Spartan is their lowest priced gun, but it is by far not a cheap gun. I've had a Spartan V 9MM for about 7 months and have shot about 500 rounds and this gun hasn't had one problem, It is easy to shoot and consistent, so my accuracy is pretty good.

With a life time warranty on all their guns (not just the original owner), it really can be a gun for your lifetime.

Last edited by qwiksdraw; February 23, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:03 PM   #19
KyJim

I have some high end 1911s and an STI Spartan, their bottom tier gun. Mine came with an excellent adjustable rear sight and a good fiber optic front sight. Sights are often personal preference but these are very good sights. STI has a patented trigger system which is top notch. Yeah, the trigger itself is a polymer but the system creates a very clean break. There are some who pull out the triggers on Ed Browns and put in STI's. Likely, you won't need a trigger job. Fitting is tight. The bushing is Baer-tight.

Oh, did I mention accuracy? It is a very accurate pistol in my hands, as good as my high end guns. Now, in a machine rest, some of them may be more accurate but not in my hands.

The finish on the Spartan is utilitarian but for about a thousand dollars or so, you can get an STI Trojan which is finished more nicely. STI has other models as well.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:30 PM   #20
stephen426

I own a STI Edge in .40 S&W and it is a phenomenal gun. It is hghly accurate and reliable. The Edge is built on their 2011 platform and not really suited for carry or self defense. I cannot speak for their other guns, but I am very happy with mine.

As for the other brands, Springfield Armory has a great reputation. I am not sure what you were planning on spending on gun smithing, but I recommend you just spend it up front and get a better model.

I'm guess you are looking to spend about $1,000 total. Try looking on gunbroker.com to find a deal. If you move quick, this looks like a GREAT DEAL!!!

It is a Springfield Armory Range Officer. There is no reserve and the starting bid is only $780. Better move quick if you want it. Only 3 hours left!!!

You can also get a stainless Mil-Spec 1911 for around $800

There is also a Stainless Target model starting bid of $900

Happy Shopping!!!

Last edited by stephen426; February 22, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:43 PM   #21
fast18

You cant go wrong with the STI's. I have the Spartan and love and trust it enough that i carry it. Is it a $1,500 gun,no, but i would put it up against any of the choices you have listed and know that its going to do its job and is extremely accurate! I'f i were you I'd do some more research on this company. Until i got mine i had never heard of them either. I was always the one that "i'f its not a colt i don't want it" but researched the gun and have been in love every since then. If my research memory serves me well the spartan comes with the comp bushings from the factory. Like i said mines a tackdriver and is way more accurate than i am. Like what was said by other posters they come from the factory with "extras" you dont get with others in its class. Better, adjustable sights, skeletonized trigger and hammer, the comp barrel bushing.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:07 PM   #22
droptrd

STI 1911?

I just bought a spartan v. Still getting to know it but I haveno regrets. For the price, I see it as the best option
Old February 23, 2013, 07:06 PM   #23
P1090

I may have overpaid a bit for my Trojan (1180ish) but I have not had any regrets. Great shooter, and a whole bunch of fun.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:12 PM   #24
mnhntr

Great pistols. I had a Lawman and it was as nice a 1911 you will find for under 1500 dollars.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:28 PM   #25
chris in va

One of our top club shooters uses an STI double stack to good effect.