The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 29, 2009, 04:24 PM   #26
Tennessee Gentleman

Glenn,

Not to oversimply your point but it seems in situations like the Tacoma Mall and the Burger King incident one who wishes to use their CCW to stop a BG needs to follow a saying I have heard none other than the famous Michael Bane repeat; "If you are gonna shoot; shoot!" and the implicit "Don't talk about shooting instead".
Old April 29, 2009, 05:30 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Yep, that's a reasonable summary. However, at the Polite Society - I reviewed (blah, blah - I'm a psychologist) - some of the factors that lead us to freeze or not act. Modern FOF training is designed to get us out of such action freezes by giving us experience and schemas for action. So you don't have to figure it out on the spot and then having some rehersal of the action.

That's why Michael's suggestion is one that is good and expedited by practicing such. We actually talked about that.

I wish to repeat the separation of the RKBA aspect and the practical aspect. Folks take offense sometimes at the suggestion that they would not act appropriately. Well, I don't know if I would but when I got into this paradigm, I want at least to give myself the advantage of working it out. We do see freezes and fumbles in training and the real world, some of the time.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:34 AM   #28
TEDDY

tacktics

one big plus is if you have the willingness to go into danger.no amount of training will help if you dont have the mind set.I have had the mind set as I did several confrontations,with out having to shoot,or fight.some as shore patrol over seas.and some as civilian.I do know Massa by rep in New Hampshire and respect him.I have gone to Rileys.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:49 PM   #29
Brit

Quote:
Although check in on Friday looked like the Meeting of the American Vest Manufacturers
First wearers to my knowledge of the photographers vest (other than camera buffs) was the coach drivers in Europe, back in the 80s.

I asked to look at one, it had a hidden pocket, ideal for Passport. I bought one in Italy, I wore it to a IALEFI ATC, a Lawyer on the board said "Going fishing?"

Not too many years later, he was wearing one, they sold them from their Shop!
I think Mr. Ayoob remembers those?

Then the "Operators" picked up on them, on and on, there are detractors, like the detractors of 511 pants who say they scream "GUN!" sure.

My personal feelings on fighting, guns or fists, it helps if you have done some.

How to be as ready as you can be? Dress armed, wear the same weapons in the same place always, carry as much gun as you can. An extra magazine (You know when you will get a malfunction do you?) just in case.

It can not do any harm to shoot an action sport where you use the same gun and holster either. Is IDPA training to fight? Not really, but shooting a few thousand rounds a year, from concealed carry, can't hurt can it?

In Florida we can dress armed easy, all the time, you can tell I am armed quite easily though, I wear 511 pants!

Do you wear a Pistol so you can save the world? No more than than you carry an Insurance card, so that you can get into an accident.
And remember the first rule of a gun fight... Have one!
Old May 6, 2009, 01:36 AM   #30
Kyo

you mean avoid one?...
Old May 6, 2009, 08:16 AM   #31
Brit

KYO

That too.

Having a gun, while avoiding one (a gun fight) could be a win-win situation!
Old May 7, 2009, 12:02 AM   #32
FM12

First Rulefor an active shooterevent:have agun (sound familar)

Rule2,be practiced and as trained as you can be

Rule 3 Be a winner!

BTW,ThanksMas for visiting with us!
Old May 9, 2009, 04:56 AM   #33
Mas Ayoob

Ron Borsch of the SEALE Academy (Southeast Area Law Enforcement Academy) in Bedford, Ohio has done some outstanding research on single responders cutting short mass murder incidents, as noted early in this thread.

An interview with him on the topic has now been posted at ProArms Podcasts. These can be downloaded to your computer or iPod at http://proarms.podbean.com, or at iTunes or Zune. The Borsch interview is on Episode 27.

Best wishes to all,
Mas
Old May 9, 2009, 09:27 AM   #34
pax

Mas, awesome podcast -- and thanks for posting his handout too.

I've just finished reading the most recent (May 2009) Force Science newsletter. It's got a great summary of Borsch's current research into this area, a fascinating read. Worth a look...

http://www.forcescience.org

(The May newsletter doesn't appear to have made it onto the site yet. Give it a day or two maybe -- as I said, definitely worth the read.)

pax