The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 8, 2016, 10:11 PM   #1
Gunslick

Bcm 14.5 Update

Shot around 450 rounds today. Was shooting Win. Q3131 Lot Number
LF42 3099. This ammo must be pretty hot stuff. It was pretty darn accurate but just about every shell case I looked at had a pretty good burr in the case head from the ejector swipe and or extractor. Anyone else experience this with Q3131? I like the ammo though and at $7.22 per box I was happy with the results. Kinda stocking up a bit just in case H. Clinton gets the chair...because we will be F****D.
Old October 8, 2016, 10:56 PM   #2
marine6680

BCM uses an H buffer in their rifles, try an H2 and the swipes should go away or at least not be as bad.
Old October 9, 2016, 12:34 AM   #3
turtlehead

You could have a thread where you just post your round counts. It would be awesome.
Old October 9, 2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Dragline45

I run an H Buffer in my BCM 14.5" midlength and have never had a problem with my cases getting burred, talk to BCM about it if it bothers you that much. I will say that mine will eat anything as well as low powered .223, which as some know can be an issue with 14.5" midlengths.
Old October 9, 2016, 08:33 PM   #5
Gunslick

Naa no need to get at BCM about it. I know those guys very well. I'm doing their BFH review for them. I am familiar with buffer weights. My 14.5 Midi will run anything with an H3 but I run an H2 because I get the rifle super hot during courses especially and don't stop so when the action dries up and slows down I don't want no chance of malfunction which has happened. I do run an H3 in my BCM 14.5 Socom though. That is a fun rifle. I just the brass is probably soft for one and two loaded a little hot from what ol' google be tellin' me.

Ya my round counts are high. For this rifle I don't know EXACT round count but will after I run through the 40 full ammo cans (.30 cal cans). That is in neighborhood of 30,000 rounds which will get me close to Filthy 14 because as of now I am like somewheres between 10,000-14,000. I just have to count the empty ammo cans. Each can full of 5.56 will hold 790 rounds exactly where when you shut the lid you can just barely hear a round or 2 rattle around. AND I have been videoing every range session and what we do but I am putting a lot of time into the editing so it will be front page worthy of BCM's website.

Think about it, how many google searches come up with "What is better, BFH or Standard?" And yes there is a standardized answer there and that would be in my opinion how hard are you going to run the weapon in my book but my review is to show that the thicker chrome lining from the FN made Hammer Forged barrels helps the throat erode less even at higher temps so once I hit 40,000 rounds I will get the video up and it will be awesome, pics of a bore scope showing throat erosion and I am pretty sure I can get one of the guys or Paul or Pat to get me a bore scope pic of Filthy 14 and we will compare and it will answer THE BIG question on hammer forged.

Yes the standard barrel I will run the piss out of all day long but I notice a substancial difference once a Mil 11595 E barrel heats up-the groups open up at leaste 1.5-2 moa compared to the BFH barrel.

With over 10k rounds through my upper just looking down the barrel I can see about 1/4 in throat erosion but that happened around 5000 rounds and hasn't changed since.

My maintaince scheduale goes as such, I replace cam pins every 2000 rounds just because they are cheap and the less slop between the cam pin and bolt the better, I replace gas rings usually every 3000 rounds or if I kinda melt one. I have ran a set 6000 rounds on my other BCM rifle until there were large gaps between 2 of the rings running an H2 buffer on a 14.5 midi and it still cycled but the cyclic rate was slowing down. I never replace firing pins unless I hit 15,000 rounds but that's when the bolt carrier gets Gunslick foaming bore cleaner-4 cycles of that then I scrape it perfectly clean. Don't waste your time for the guys who don't know about scraping EVERY bit of carbon out the bottom of your carrier, the carbon is self limiting. Haha, right now; you know the vent hole behind the 2 holes where you can oil the gas rings through the carrier where gas vents out-most or some of you will know what I am talking about, that hole is pretty much completely plugged so after next range trip or if I feel like tinkering tonight I'm gonna get all that carbon out.

It is also good-if you shoot a lot like me is to remove your gas tube every few thousand rounds and just clean out the gas block with a Q-tip and also the channel in the upper receiver, I like to just because I like a clean weapon but on the receiver end of it, it ensures some free play with your gas tube because you can carbon it up enough where your gas tube won't have as much free play. I don't know if some of what I do REALLY actually matters but I like to do it because I take great pride in my weapons, I love the heck out of them and enjoy cleaning them.

Clean after ever range trip.
Old October 10, 2016, 02:55 AM   #6
marine6680

From your past threads... I would not have taken you for a high round count shooter. A lot of topics that seemed "new shooter"-ish rather than "experienced". Several posts with technical questions about ARs and other firearms... I kind of subconsciously grouped you into the "new firearm owner" category.

Nor would I have thought you someone with connections in the business, to be getting pics and support from a manufacturer.

40,000 rounds on hand requires a sponsor or a ton of money. (thats $10,000 at the cheapest bulk pricing for brass ammo at about $250 per case)

Some of your other posts have been a bit cryptic as well, never sure where you were going or coming from half the time. (maybe because I do not diligently read every post/thread on the site)

Heck, at best I only knew you had a BCM rifle, not what kind. The "BCM 14.5 Update" thread title was a bit of a surprise/confusing one. I assumed you was giving a range update on the BCM upper you mentioned a while back, due to experiencing problems.

I don't recall seeing anything before, to suggest you had reached several thousand rounds.

But other than that...

So the BCM hammer forged barrels are made by FN? They make no mention of a double thick chrome lining on the BCM site, if so, it would have been a give away of where they source them. I've never dug too deep, but BCM has always seemed to hold the identities of their suppliers close to the chest. So I found little info in my casual searches, and what info I did find seemed more educated guess work that hard fact.

I am interested in the results of the testing... As I have two BCMs with the CHF (or as they call it... BFH... why they felt they needed to change the nomenclature is beyond me) barrel, and a PSA Premium with the FN CHF barrel as well.

They are all very accurate and excellent barrels so far, but I do not have a ton of rounds through any particular one of them. The PSA has the most, simply being my oldest AR.

Last edited by marine6680; October 10, 2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old October 10, 2016, 09:03 PM   #7
Gunslick

Money is not an issue. I purchased most of it. And yes some of my questions have been convoluted. Some of the things I have asked have been me wanting to kind of make sure the research I have done has been correct. When I post the video finally you can classify me as whatever you think is fit. I will never claim "oh I am the best shooter around bla bla bla." I will say I practice carbine course style I guess you would call it style of shooting every Saturday and precision shoot out to 350 yards every Sunday. I do it as a hobby and sometimes compete in high power matches and have done a few 3-gun matches. I think I am heading in the direction of 3-gun because I am fast, efficient at weapons manipulation and can master all styles of firearms. I love it. Every aspect of it. From shooting to cleaning and taking care of my firearms I love the hobby and I love to shoot. Heck 3 local cops, 1 was a Sargent came with us this last weekend and I out shot all of them at all distances from CQB ranges out to 200 yards with rifle pistol and shot gun with many different drills and scenerios. I am pursuing a training business and my FFL here soon. I want firearms to be a part of my future because to me it isnt work, I really enjoy teaching especially newbs...I just hope our rights stay where they are at or get better. We'll see after election.
Old January 13, 2017, 05:02 PM   #8
odugrad

Sorry to resurrect this old-ish thread. Somehow I stumbled upon it and was curious, Gunslick, where did you get the information that BCM's hammer forged barrels have chrome lining thicker than the standard barrels?
Old January 13, 2017, 11:09 PM   #9
turtlehead

Last online 11/29/16.

If you see a very large pile of brass please check to see there isn't a body under it.