The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2008, 06:45 AM   #1
DaveInPA

.45 ACP - lead fouling at the chamber end?

I'm getting considerable lead fouling near the chamber end of my barrel of my 1911. What normally causes this? Too high of a velocity?
Old April 29, 2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Sevens

Could be that the bullets are too soft, and if driven to fast, they will lead.
Could be that the bullets are undersized, or too hard, or a combination of both, and if not pushed fast enough, will not obturate and seal the bore.

Sure it's lead, yes? Like little strips of lead pieces coming out when you scrub the bore?
Old April 29, 2008, 08:32 AM   #3
DaveInPA

It sure looks like lead. It's streaks of lead colored material in the bore. Can't think of what else it would be. The bullets in question were only BNH 12. I ordered some with a BNH of 18, we'll see if that helps at all.
Old April 29, 2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Sevens

You'll know better if it's lead when it comes OUT of the bore in little slivers of lead!

BHN of 12 is not very hard, but .45 is not at all a high pressure round, nor is it particular fast. Shouldn't need ridiculously hard lead bullets for it.
Old April 29, 2008, 10:01 AM   #5
TexasSeaRay

Hard bullets can lead almost as easily as softer bullets.

It's the size and roundness of the bullet, along with the lube that will affect leading more than BHN.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.