The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 31, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1
farmall

Wards Western Field / Mossberg

I recently picked up a Wards Western Field .22 rifle for $35. After thorough cleaning and re-welding striker to correct the effects of some clods "trigger job" I now have a damn fine shooting little rifle. It is marked model 93m-496A. I know it is a Mossberg, similar to a 146, but I cant cross-reference its exact Mossberg model. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Andy
Old June 1, 2005, 08:00 AM   #2
HunterTRW

My cross-reference list does not include the Model 93M-496A, but does include the Model 93M-495A which corresponds to a Mossberg Model 45B.

Since this is not definitive, you might contact the National Mossberg Collectors Association. They should be able to assist in correctly identifying your gun. The following information was taken from the Mossberg Website:

"INFORMATION ON DISCONTINUED AND VERY OLD MOSSBERG SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

If you need information on any older/discontinued Mossberg rifles, shotguns or parts, please contact the National Mossberg Collectors Association. The NMCA has the historical data to answer all of your questions.

Write:
NMCA
PO Box 487
Festus, MO 63028,

Tel: 636-937-6401

or

Visit the National Mossberg Collectors Association web site: www.MossbergCollectors.org"

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old June 3, 2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Steven Mace

farmall, if you visit http://home.epix.net/~damguy/Moss-cross.htm you'll see the Wards Model 93M-496A is the same as a Mossberg Model 46. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old June 3, 2005, 06:17 PM   #4
farmall

Thank you both, this is exactly what i have been looking for.