The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2002, 09:28 PM   #1
H&H,hunter

Recoil affects accuracy!

This is from my .458 Lott with stoked up 500 gr woodliegh solids (2400fps) off a rest at 50 yards.

Using Ashley Ghost ring sights.

The rifle weighs just under 9lbs and has no porting , breaks or other silly little gadgets attached to it.

Now tell me how that evil .30-30 recoil is affecting your shooting again?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lott target.jpg (110.6 KB, 168 views)
Old October 25, 2002, 10:23 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Wow....darn thing kicked em all out of the ten ring.

Sam
Old October 25, 2002, 10:35 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, Sam, musta been wind-drift...

Art
Old October 25, 2002, 11:13 PM   #4
H&H,hunter

Them big bullets do tend to luff in the wind.
Old October 26, 2002, 05:42 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

H&H, thought you'd made some post about them "marginal calibers" & using enough gun.

Wut happened to you?

Old October 26, 2002, 06:31 PM   #6
H&H,hunter

I know I know,
It is a sub-caliber round.

But durn it, a guy wants to be carefull and not develope a flinch!!

I've got my reputation to think about....

Is this an ego centric post or what?? Makes me want to
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: just to read it..

Cool ehhh.
Old October 26, 2002, 06:41 PM   #7
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Way cool! H&H & nifty enough groups from my way o' thinkin'

Best full-bore I've ever shot was two outa a .458 mag (2X touching at 100 yds) & and an honest-to-goodness .475 JDJ outa a Contender (& that damned thing shot to POA at 100 too!)

Me? I'm a woose - pure & simple & hate recoil.

Figure if you put the right bullet in the right spot it'll do the job, ...

BUT.

There's surely game that needs a better bullet in the right spot - & quickly.

I ain't there yet & doubtful ever will be.

Glad to have you in our court, Sir.
Old October 26, 2002, 08:22 PM   #8
P-990

WOW!!! That's a pretty good group there! Berwy impressive. Guess it just goes to show you that some people are as recoil shy as a pile of bricks!

Me, I can handle recoil, but I shoot a .260 so I don't have to. Shooting is supposed to be fun, and I can have more fun with less horsepower. Simple physics. But many people can't handle kick. These are the same people that jump when frightened and spaz-out when confronted with an obstacle. Just so you know my opinion!
Old October 26, 2002, 09:37 PM   #9
Marshall

Location: I live in a small bush community in southeast Alaska called Gustavus
Recoil

Hi fellows,
In my humbly opinion handling recoil is simply a matter of having a proper fitting stock and lots of practice. I shoot well over a hundred rounds a year with an 81/2 pound .458WM and a Sako .375 H&H, using maximun listed handloads. I don't give recoil a thought anymore. However, when I got my first .458, a 10 pound Ruger, recoil was very much a concern. I used shoulder pads and elbow pads and dreaded pulling the trigger. Then slowly, it began to bother me less and less. The pads disappeared as did the dread. Now, as I said, I don't give it a thought.
Of course, if I lived and hunted where large caliber rifles weren't needed, I would not have gone to the trouble. However, when I hear people talk about being bothered by recoil of smaller calibers, I know they don't spend much time at the range with it and/or have a poorly designed stock (which means most factory stocks).
Physical size and strength has nothing to do with recoil tolerance. I know a lady that uses a .416 Rem Mag for all her hunting and loves it. She goes to the range regularly in order to maintain her skill level with it. Recoil tolarance isn't a measure of ones manhood. It simply requires a proper fitting rifle and practice.
Anyway, that's the experience of this skinny old man.

Marshall
Old October 26, 2002, 10:52 PM   #10
BigG

Nice group! My 458 Win shoots similar groups off the rest.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old October 26, 2002, 11:05 PM   #11
H&H,hunter

Marshall,
Here, here.
You've cracked the code ole boy!! I couldn't agree more. I am much the same, recoil is not even a prefreial consideration to me any more. I just don't even think about it, therefore it doesn't affect me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again recoil is a mental thing. There are very few if any production shoulder fired rifles in the world that will cause actual physical damage to the shooter. So much of what we think we feel in recoil is a preconception and a false one at that.

If a boxer can learn to take a jab to the face ,which does cause physical damage, with out flinching then surely a person can learn to take recoil which does not.

The one and only weapon I've ever fired that actually caused lasting agony was a custom 4" redhawk in .500 Linebaugh loaded up hot (420gr bullet at 1400 fps.) I did not enjoy shooting this pistol and have to admitt to a wee little flinch after the first 5 went down the pipe. Not to mention a goose egg in the frog of my hand. The owner of the pistol however shoots it all day long with no apparent ill effect. So once again it can be dealt with.

When I hear reports of that vicious kicking .270 or .30-06 or some such. I immediatly think one of two things 1, poor stock fit or improper scope mounting (To high will do it every time) 2, inexperience on the part of the shooter. And then there is the very large percentage of shooters who've been told as a young impresionable hunter by there dads, uncles, big brothers you name it that a 30-06 kicks like a mule and therefore from their limited range of shooting experience it does. As a matter of pride many young men want it to be known that the gun they shoot to really kicks.
Old October 27, 2002, 09:25 AM   #12
C.R.Sam

Poor stock fit is a biggie.
Hard and narrow buttplates right up there too.

Sam