The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1
bottom rung

Buying an 870

In about a week, I will be picking up a 12 gauge Remington 870 Express with the 26" VR barrel. I have read that I need to carefully clean off all the rust preventer and that I need to check the chamber and make sure that it is properly polished. Is there anything else I should be aware of? The only accessory I plan on buying is a 20" smoothbore barrel with rifle sights for deer hunting and home defense. I plan to shoot it alot, dividing range time between skeet and wrecking stuff with buckshot and slugs. I understand that there are quite a few of you who have dealt extensively with the 870 and know a great deal about any of the quirks associated with the gun. At the same time, I understand that there are very few quirks with this design and that is why it is so successful, but I never knew about the extensive rust protection and rough chambers. Again, any advice or information would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve
Old January 5, 2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You've pretty much covered it. 870s are great shotguns that will give you generations of service with some care. Follow the directions for removing the preservatives, polish the chamber if needed, and enjoy.

They do need regular exercise.

And while they do not breed, they can multiply.

Have fun and be safe....
Old January 5, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Musketeer

Get the weapon's stock cut to fit properly and add Shoulder or Stock padding!

I have an 870 and they are great, durable guns. Unfortunately though they are not "easy" on the shooter. Held properly and firmly they still have a tendency to kick like a mule and after 100 rounds at the range you are going to feel it. When I switched to an O/U which I had fitted to me I could go through 100 with no problems.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 5, 2009, 01:16 PM   #4
loadmaster8991

Just a warning

I've got the 870 Express, and while it is a great gun, there is one problem I have with it. I use it for Turkey hunting, and eventually I'll take it duck and goose hunting, I also use it for home defense. Whenever I go to unload it to transport it, normally at least 1 shell has a problem working it's way out. That's never happened to me after I fired it, though. Spent shells have always came right out (Maybe something to do with weight). This might just be my gun, however, I don't know. It's not that big of a deal for me, but some people have the "If there's one thing wrong with it, it's not worth my dollar.", mentality. Hope that helps
Old January 5, 2009, 09:15 PM   #5
bottom rung

Thanks for the additional information and confirmation. I was hoping to hear from someone such as Dave McC. I am pretty familiar with guns and I would not have thought to read the manual for a pump shotgun, so I would have run into problems with the preservatives and so on. I know I will be happy with the purchase, but I just wanted to double check before some little thing took me by surprise. Again, thank you for the answers guys. Steve
Old January 5, 2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Katrina Guy

I"ve heard two sides on the Remington Preservative

Some say Remington's come with it, other's say they don't, or no longer are packed with that.
I have an 870 bought a year ago, never fired still, since I might not fire it anytime soon I thought I'd leave it alone, if it has preventive coatings that might be better for a gun sitting there?
Ask Scattergun Bob or that Dave fella, they know their stuff alright as do many others, me not included *LOL*
Old January 15, 2009, 09:50 AM   #7
bottom rung

I picked up my new 870 last Saturday. When I got home with it, I read the manual and dissasembled it according to the instructions provided. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. I looked at the hated polymer trigger group and can see no reason to go searching for an aluminum one. Everything was spotless on the inside of the gun. There were no metal shavings, no heavy packing grease, or packing material such as cardboard or styrofoam. Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase. All parts seemed to be of excellent quality. Fit and finish is excellent in my opinion also. My gun does not feature the J lock safety. The laminate stock is about as dark as a black walnut stock. The stock is well finished and fits flush to the reciever. The matte finish is consistent and seems like it will hold up well. The chamber on my 26" VR barrel was bright shiny after cleaning and does need any polishing. The feared metal preservative came off with the application of Gun Scrubber and a rag. I have cycled the gun and everything feels smooth with no resistance. I probably won't be able to get to the range for another two weeks, so a range report will be a while in coming. In the meantime I intend on ordering the 20" riflle sight eqipped smoothbore barrel for a combination of deer hunting and defence practice and duty. There seems to be quite few reports of lesser quality guns hitting dealers these days, this gun does not appear to be of such a lot. Best part about this gun, Made In USA.