The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2002, 06:23 PM   #1
CaptSkip

Got lucky (I think) on 1st Shotgun (870)

[First, WOW this is a great site! I only lurked for a few hours before registering. Don't know how I missed TFL for five years!]

My 1st SG is a Rem. 870 that started out as a "Model 870 SP Deer Gun, 12 gauge Magnum, 20" Barrel with Cantilevered Scope Mt." Based on Ser.#, the good folks at Remington said it was made in '91. It has been customized as follows:

Barrel is 20", rifle sights (white dot front/white triangle rear) parkerized finish that matches receiver and magazine, improved cylinder and rifled choke tubes;

Mag extension added with mag ext./barrel clamp that includes swivel sling mount on bottom;

A 2nd rear sling eyelet added to heal of grip area on stock;

One inch black nylon sling with "Uncle Mike's" QR on rear.

The SG has BEAUTIFUL walnut furniture with deep checkering at grip and forend, Remington recoil pad, "Flexitab", metal trigger guard and stnd. safety.

It's "cherry" and was purchased from a local LARGE dealer, NIB, not a mark/wear on wood, metal, bore, crown, etc. This 870 had been customized for a State LE Agency, and this one was unfired.

Paid around $425.00. Did I do OK?
Old December 12, 2002, 06:50 PM   #2
notos&w

id be happy.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicide; for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Cesare Beccaria, On Crimes and Punishments (1764).
Old December 12, 2002, 08:08 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi CaptSkip. welcome to TFL!

Looking at the accessories listed, I think you got a good deal.

Now all you have to do is buy inexpensive ammo and practice! Practice they say, makes perfect..
Old December 13, 2002, 05:00 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Price is on the high side for an agency turnin, but that's a lot of gun there. Including the upgrades, well worth it.

Now buy ammo, use up, repeat.....
Old December 13, 2002, 09:43 AM   #5
ruger357