The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2013, 02:34 AM   #26
Jammer Six

Let her choose.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:51 AM   #27
haliwa04

Re: This ones for the ladies...

I'm not budget minded at all. I do look for deals. She cringes at spending over $25 on anything for herself. I bought her diamond jewelry for vday, and she damn near had a stroke when I told her they were in fact real. Now if its for me or the kids, she has no budget. I want to try my hand at idpa, and she supports that idea. Says its cheaper and safer than drag racing, so I'll take that. When a shop owner started showing me race guns built for uspsa, she said "drag racing doesn't sound so bad"(she loves watching it, just doesn't like the idea of me going 200+mph).

Now, I am going to let her choose her gun. It's just getting her to pull the trigger...pun intended...and leave the store with something other than a spinning head and boxes of bullets and targets.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:24 AM   #28
pax

haliwa,

Tell her it's not exactly spending money on her. It's an investment in the family -- which it most definitely is. Accepting this good gift to her is itself a powerful gift she can give you, because you do not want to raise your children without her, and your children deserve a mom who can protect them when danger threatens.

Let that percolate a little, then take her shopping again. It should be easier.

pax
Old February 20, 2013, 08:39 AM   #29
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
haliwa,

Tell her it's not exactly spending money on her. It's an investment in the family -- which it most definitely is. Accepting this good gift to her is itself a powerful gift she can give you, because you do not want to raise your children without her, and your children deserve a mom who can protect them when danger threatens.

Let that percolate a little, then take her shopping again. It should be easier.

pax
Lol. Ok
Old February 20, 2013, 09:03 AM   #30
Yung.gunr

To be honest.... Haven't read everything, but my wife is pretty small and has small hands. She liked the feel of the LC9 so we got it for her. Well she HATED shooting it. On a whim I went into the shop portion of the range and got her a box of 380 for my Sig P238. Needless to say, she liberated me of my P238. She loves it. She can rack the slide no problem and actually likes shooting it. She can even do some pretty accurate double taps with it. I know it's a more expensive gun and round, but you would spend more buying/selling/trading a bunch of others till she finds one she likes...

Just my $0.02....
Old February 20, 2013, 09:27 AM   #31
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung.gunr View Post
To be honest.... Haven't read everything, but my wife is pretty small and has small hands. She liked the feel of the LC9 so we got it for her. Well she HATED shooting it. On a whim I went into the shop portion of the range and got her a box of 380 for my Sig P238. Needless to say, she liberated me of my P238. She loves it. She can rack the slide no problem and actually likes shooting it. She can even do some pretty accurate double taps with it. I know it's a more expensive gun and round, but you would spend more buying/selling/trading a bunch of others till she finds one she likes...

Just my $0.02....
I like the .380, the Sig name even more. She said she wants a 9mm or bigger. But ill try to get her to shoot a .380. A friend handed me his lcp and let me goto town. I tried getting the woman to have a go, but she refused. Maybe ill sign her up for this forum and let her read through all the suggestions so far. Or at least log in my account on her computer and hand it to her. Thanks everybody
Old February 20, 2013, 12:37 PM   #32
Yung.gunr

The LCP has a way different than the P238. I have a Taurus TCP and a lot of the polymer pocket autos are copies of each other (for the most part). I won't let her shoot the TCP at this point. She is relatively new to shooting so I don't want to scare her off.
Old February 20, 2013, 01:10 PM   #33
jersurf101

9mm makarov is a great ladies doin or just a plain old 9mm luger. Th key is to find a pistol that fits your hand and is large enough to take some of the recoil.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:51 PM   #34
Kalamity Kate

I don't measure up to five foot four.

My first hand gun was mostly chosen by the huge macho instructor and the gun shop clerk as being the perfect fit for a short gun-dumb woman with small hands (and a smaller brain for letting myself be led like that). It is a S&W 642- hammerless .38 with airlight frame and a Crimson Trace grip. It is a very good gun that I finally like because it is not my one and only. It has only five shots and sounds like a cannon next to the quiet pops of the 22s at the ladies shoots. I lose the matches to the 22s and that burns me because I want to win and usually come close. It is also expensive to practice with.

The second handgun is a Glock 27 which I resisted because of difficulty with the slide. The instructor, with hands like two hams, would pull back the slide with his forefinger and thumb. After a search of more than six months and more advice than I can remember, I chose a Glock 27 for the firepower. The grip poses no problems and the slide is easy now that a female instructor showed me how to use a little mechanical advantage of any nearby solid surface. I love the Glock and wished I had gotten it in the first place. I don't try to target practice with it because of the expense and just try to keep familiar with its use.

Right now I am searching for a good 22 target pistol that I can use both for target practice and for those ladies shoots.

I think you said your wife liked the 642 she shot. It is fun to shoot if you are not competing with the 22 target pistols in competition.
Kate
Old February 20, 2013, 02:59 PM   #35
gundog5

My advise (my wife&2girls all carry) is to stay out of it. Let her make her own decision without you putting in your two sense. Buy her the gun she wants.....SR40/9mm/45 whatever, done, paid for and on her hip. If she really does not like the gun you pick out for her it will be left behind. I learned to just keep my mouth shut and wallet handy. Now all of my ladies carry "their" guns. Just my .02.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:09 PM   #36
MarkGlazer

Greetings,

Last month my wife and I visited an indoor range in the immediate area. My intent was simple, find a handgun (semi-auto) that she felt comfortable with. The process was made very easy for one reason, the range is owned and operated by two women. Behind the counter, women.. who know what they are talking about.

My wife spent 45 minutes being handed gun after gun to see which one she was comfortable with and when she made her selection, "Karen" gave her a second weapon to handle out on the range. She wanted something to compare against and be sure my wife was making the right choice. We spent the next hour testing both guns. When we came off the range my wife was certain, the CZ 75, P-01 fit her best and that is exactly what I purchased for her. The other weapon was a Bursa .380, nice, but she didn't care for it.

Rules of thumb; work with whom you feel comfortable with, in this case, a fellow woman, handle as many guns as possible to determine what fits you, then, get out there on the range and be sure.

Good luck.
Old February 20, 2013, 05:05 PM   #37
haliwa04

Any women in the nc area want to go gun shopping this weekend? Lol. I just want to go to the range maybe pick up another shotgun I've been eyeballing. She on the other hand, needs someone to shop with other than me. While I tend to keep quiet unless she asks me a question, it kind of tears my nerves up to see her say "no thank you, I like it, but no". Especially when I'm offering to pay for it.

Tags
compact , females , women