The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Country

Missed my chance this morning

I have been practicing with my .44 mag at 25 yards, got two on opening morning and been intending to go shoot at 50 yards, but have not got around to it.

So...this morning while in my tree stand, I see these antlers coming trough the trees. There he is 10 points at 40 yards...pistol cocked and ready...I think I can make the shot...but I don't KNOW I can make the shot. So...I decide that he will come across the creek and to my feeder...he comes across the creek...I get into position when he is behind the trees....I see legs coming out....

WOW...no antlers, just a nubs...the 10 point went the other direction, DANG!!

OK!...hopefully he will come back again....I don't know...about 10 minuets later I hear BOOM from the direction the buck went...3 min's truck starts, they drive a short distance....truck idleing....then they leave headed to town.....5 min's later their feeder goes off, DANG!!! I think my 10 pointer is history!!

If, if, if I would have practiced with my pistol at max distance that I would be shooting from this stand...I would be posting pictures of me and my 10 point buck with my .44 mag.
Old November 11, 2006, 11:07 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Well, if you like the challenge of the pistol, then keep at it. If you want to post a picture of you and your deer, take a rifle! Either way, keep us updated.

That feeder sound won't scare them - they're used to it - it may attract them.
Old November 12, 2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Fremmer

Another buck will claim that territory and you'll be ready. At least you saw one.
Old November 12, 2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Trapp

Missed my chance today...
The doe was only 15 yds away. Last day of bow season, last day to get doe meat in the freezer. Arrow went right over her back......

15 YARDS!!!!!
Old November 14, 2006, 12:53 PM   #5
slow944

Opening day in Texas and I'm hunting on a friend of mine's land with my son. So Clark takes my son to the stand by the feeder and then walks me down to the ladder stand on the fence row. As I'm climbing up the ladder ,Clark starts off to his stand and stops and tells me there's a "BIG BUCK" coming thru the Mesquite brush just across the fence, Maybe 60 yds at most. So I jump down and put my sights on the buck and he's a good 10 pointer. Well I'm on one side of the ladder stand and Clark's on the other, and I'm watching this buck mosey across the pasture into the woods and I'm saying "Shoot Em Clark, Shoot Em." Well the Buck gets to the woods safely and I ask Clark why he didn't shoot and Clark says he never had a clear shot for the mesquite brush. And all the time I'm waiting for Clark to Shoot I had a clear view of the deer. Just my luck. Told Clark that if that happens again the "5 Second Rule" goes into effect.
Old November 14, 2006, 03:20 PM   #6
rlong5

You have to miss a few opportunities in order to appreciate success. If it was easy, it wouldn't be as much fun.

Edit to add: I missed a 4-point bull on the opening day of elk season this year.

Last edited by rlong5; November 14, 2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old November 14, 2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Country

Thanks guys for the posts. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with such luck.

So, good hunting to each for the remainder of the season.
Old November 14, 2006, 09:11 PM   #8
skynyrd1911

I missed too

I missed a fairly large doe this past Saturday. Just plain missed her from about 30 yards +-5 yards. I'm pretty new to this. I choked.....got too excited, whatever you want to call it. I never seem to get real close to deer, so when I do, my heart races and such. I know what I did wrong, but the moment has passed. I harvested my first deer 2 years ago and I did everything right. Still haven't gotten a buck, but I'll keep trying. My season is so short in the zone I live in. 2 days is not enough...
Old November 14, 2006, 09:57 PM   #9
Csspecs

At least you saw one. I saw NOTHING, two weeks of bow season and NOTHING.

My brother shot over and under two from like ten yards. Lucky little brat.
Old November 15, 2006, 11:17 AM   #10
Capp35

Quote:
2 days is not enough...
Dang!

In Texas, if you include bow season, ours last for 3 months. Oct 1st to Jan 7th.