The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 1, 2013, 09:30 PM   #1
steveNChunter

The future of the Ruger American

I have heard so much praise about these new Ruger Americans and how they are so accurate for an entry-level rifle and so on, and its got me wanting one like crazy. At about $350 it seems like a heck of a deal. The only problem is, I either have or have something really close to each chambering its offered in. If I were to buy one today, it might be the .22-250 but the 22" barrel is a little short and the 1:10 twist a little faster than ideal for shooting the lighter bullets I'd like to load for it.

Anyway my question is, has anyone "heard through the grapevine" any plans of if/when they will release any new chamberings for the RAR and what they might be?

I would assume a couple more will be released at the beginning of next year but I've heard nothing specific about it. I'd love to see .204 ruger, or 6.5 creedmoor added to the lineup but I don't expect it to happen.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Metal god

I'm not so much looking for new calibers as I am new stock and maybe SS Versions of what they already have .

To your OP , where do your here of the new set ups coming out . I bought my American just after they first came out . I had no idea they were coming out with the new chambering's and the compact model when they did .

I'm with you though . They most likely will come out with more stuff at the end of the year or early next year .
Old May 2, 2013, 04:43 AM   #3
steveNChunter

Quote:
where do your here of the new set ups coming out
Thats just it, I havent heard anything. I'm just assuming if any changes/additions are made, it will be at the beginning of the year. I would like to see a stainless version as well, but that will drive up the price, which is part of what makes this rifle so appealing. As for a stock, what they have is decent for a cheap rifle. I don't foresee a nicer stock option being offered from Ruger, but I bet somebody starts making an aftermarket one for it eventually when there is enough demand for it. I'd be pleased if Ruger would just make their stock look a little nicer and not look so edgy like the Savage Axis or Rem 783.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4
taylorce1

Be careful of what you ask for, you just might get it along with a higher price tag. 6.5 Creedmoor or SS might be a viable option, but to go with a .204 or any kind of new stock would require investments by Ruger in new tooling to produce. Who knows for sure if Ruger has sold enoug American rifles yet to turn a profit on these rifles yet, and any new chamberings or stocks that don't fit the current tooling will more than likely drive up the costs.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
RCP Fab

I don't see Ruger doing much with the American until at least 2014. There are a few of us that know the RAR is a sweet rifle, but there are a lot of people who think it's just a $350 entry-level rifle and they expect it to shoot like one. As the sell more they will expand on the options for them.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:58 AM   #6
garryc

Well, they list the American as a new release in 7mm-08. If Hogue comes out with an Overmold stock for that I'll be on it like fly's on road kill.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:29 AM   #7
TATER

garryc, I am with ya,
I hear nothing but good praise about them.. I just cant get past the butt ugly stock.
I would probably have one by now.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:06 PM   #8
McShooty

Ugly is as ugly does. The latest American Rifleman shows they have given the Ruger American their Golden Bullseye Award as the "Rifle of the Year." Ruger's ad in the latest Rifle Magazine (p. 7) shows a "Compact" model now available. It is a kid-sized version with 18" barrel and 12.5" pull. The ad lists 7-08 in the available chamberings.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:21 PM   #9
03Shadowbob

I believe the aftermarket will get better as more people come to realize what a great value this rifle is. I love my 30-06 American. Personally I didn't like the look of the stock either but once I held it to my shoulder and then fired it, I could care less what it looks like, which IMO isn't as bad as a Savage 110 or 111 stock.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

I'll put my name on the list for an RAR in the near future... I keep hearing how well they shoot ( which I almost find hard to believe, with the way the fore end of the stock easily flexes side to side, putting pressure on the barrel )... if a more rigid aftermarket stock were available, I do have a place in my rifle rack for one...

they do offer them in 270 Winchester... right ???
Old May 3, 2013, 03:49 PM   #11
steveNChunter

yessir they do offer it in .270. As well as .22-250, .243, 7mm-08, .308, and .30-06
Old May 3, 2013, 08:25 PM   #12
tobnpr

I mentioned a while back on another thread that it'll be interesting to see what their plans are...

They've got to be sure the RAR doesn't end up taking market share from their "upper tier" bolt guns...there has to be a distinction; a reason for a higher price on the M77's.

Otherwise, why would one pay nearly three times as much?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 4, 2013, 08:46 AM   #13
steveNChunter

Quote:
Otherwise, why would one pay nearly three times as much?
I wouldn't. Accuracy is 90% of what I care about in a rifle. I'd rather have a butt-ugly rifle that shoots cloverleafs than a beautiful high gloss walnut stock stainless rifle that shoots 2" groups. (not saying all M77's shoot that bad) And if I can pay 1/3 the price for the cloverleaf shooter then its that much better.

Ruger will probably realize eventually that there are alot of people that think like this and they will either raise the price of the RAR and/or revamp the M77. I hope they choose the latter only.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:19 AM   #14
TATER

steveNChunter,
The HawkEye is the revamp Up grade is it not? I know Ruger changed The Lug up.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:00 PM   #15
steveNChunter

TATER-thats true but RAR's are outshooting Hawkeye's on a pretty regular basis from what I've seen. Most of the M77's do better when glass bedded so I guess you cant blame it all on the action. Maybe the M77 line needs "power bedding." Seems to work well enough in the RAR
Old May 6, 2013, 01:08 PM   #16
BigTex308

Re: The future of the Ruger American

I'm very sceptical of the RAR. not impressed at all with what I saw when I handled them at the store.

I'll be buying one to examine and test myself.

I plan on doing the same with the Savage Axis and a high point 9mm pistol.

Not impressed with what I've seen but I want to try them out for myself before I write them off.

Ike
Old May 6, 2013, 06:55 PM   #17
NHSHOOTER

Now that I have read all the posts about RAR and just checked rugers website and found that the RAR does come in 7-08 and comes with a adjustable trigger, power bedded and free floating barrel, I will be on the hunt for one. 1 can never have too many guns..