The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 6, 1999, 05:06 PM   #1
Mendocino

My wife and I just received word that we have two landowner preference antelope tags for Colorado this year! But wait, it gets better...the ptarmigan, sage grouse, and ruffed grouse seasons run concurrently with the antelope season, but wait, still more...I also have a PLM ranch tag that will allow me to hunt elk on the same 25,000 acre ranch from early september to the end of November (again concurrent with the birds and antelope)! So come September, we load up the truck, the English pointer, and head to Colorado. If I don't shoot a rutting bull, we will come back in November for Thanksgiving and shoot one then (I hope).

So a question after all that exuberence:

Having never hunted antelope, I have been told that they aren't very good eating. Is this true, does anyone have any good recipes? And of course, does anyone have any antelope hunting tips or stories?

TIA,

A very happy Mendocino

[This message has been edited by Mendocino (edited May 10, 1999).]
Old May 7, 1999, 10:39 PM   #2
Ankeny

Lots of folks just don't like Pronghorn meat, period. I kind of like it though. I have been hunting antelope since I was a kid (Wyoming) and I have harvested dozens of them with rifle, handgun, and bow. No secrets to antelope hunting, just spot and stalk. Of course they are nervous as hell, can see like an eagle, and run 60 mph.
Old May 8, 1999, 12:34 PM   #3
MAD DOG

Antelope back straps are to die for, and the rest aint so bad either. I like to marinade it, and then grill up on the BBQ.
When all else fails, make chili or sausage.
Must go now, I am drowning in my own drool...
Old May 8, 1999, 10:48 PM   #4
Bob Thompson

A number of years ago I was able to kill,mind you not harvest as the politically correct call it, a nice buck antelope in the west desert of Utah where the range is tough and dry. The shot was not very long and the game was standing still with other bucks so I picked the biggest horns and killed him instantly with a 25-06. The meat was even better than most deer I have eaten. I don't think it was anything else other than the fact that it was standing and hadn't built up an adrenilan rush from running far that tends to ruin the taste somewhat. I think if a hunter wants to eat the meat from his kill, and I was taught to always make use of it he should try and always take a still standing shot for this reason and the ability to place a clean killing sure shot. We owe it to the magnificient animals we hunt.
Old May 11, 1999, 10:13 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've cooked some inner tenders and some backstrap over charcoal. Far more tender than deer. I was surprised at a total absence of any gaminess at all. Rather bland, really, which opens the door for all manner of inventiveness with spices and marinades...

The antelope was from open grasslands near Marfa, TX. He was cleanly field-dressed, and butchered out within a few hours of shooting.
Old May 27, 1999, 09:49 AM   #6
Jbar4Ranch

Better eatin' than mule deer, but not nearly as good as moose. Take a head shot if possible (if it's not a wall hanger) cuz there ain't much there! Even with a head shot, you'll be hard pressed to get 40 lbs from a mature animal.
Old May 27, 1999, 09:07 PM   #7
swifter...

generally speaking, any lamb receipe works well with antelope. Its also good with a touck of garlic and onion, right out of the pan.

------------------
Shoot carefully... swifter...