The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2008, 11:02 AM   #1
p5200

Tools needed for reloading question

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...homepage103008 would this be a good kit for someone new to reloading the 30-06 round? or any better suggestions in the same price range or cheaper. I don't mind doing as much as possible manually, if I can save a lot of cost since I live on a fixed income don't care if it's a slower process. Thanks!
Old October 31, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Smaug

I started with that kit. It was good quality, but a lot of money for what you get.

Building the same kit with Lee equipment, starting with the Classic Cast Press is the better idea. That's what I use now.

The Rock Chucker sends the removed primers all over the place. The Classic Cast routes them out through the ram column and will end up costing a lot less in the end. You can buy a bunch of dies with the change.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old October 31, 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
wncchester

p5200, get the Lee Classic Cast press and save a small bundle. And Lee's dies load ammo as good as any other brand. All their sets except the RGB include shell holders, that alone can save you $6 per cartridge you load for.

If you don't like the Classic Cast, I'll swap you my RCBS Rock Chucker II for it, even trade! I've offered two local guys the same deal but I still have MY RC II; seems they really like their Classic Casts. And I still get lots of spent primers all over my floor.

Lee is all USA. Press castings for RCBS are now being made in China but the price doesn't reflect it.
Old October 31, 2008, 05:06 PM   #4
pps_dad

Lee Anniversary kit

Might wanna look into the LEE anniversary kit, it's cheaper and works just as good. You will still need more things than these kits include so you can use the money you save when buying Lee to buy everything else.
Old October 31, 2008, 05:22 PM   #5
sonofafish

P5200,that is the best you cant go wrong with the rock chucker or rcbs products. But pick up some imperial sizing die wax its better then that pad.
Old October 31, 2008, 07:19 PM   #6
CrustyFN

I'll second the Lee classic cast single stage press. Every bit as solid as the Rock Chunker and with some better features. I load every caliber with Lee dies and have been very happy with the ammo produced. I would piece together a kit with mixed parts. Don't get the Lee scale. RCBS and Dillon both make a very good beam scale for a good price.
Rusty
Old October 31, 2008, 08:53 PM   #7
rwilson452

I'll also suggest the Lee Classic Cast. it's a tough press. In fact you can get a 50BMG setup for it. I have loaded lots of 30-06 on the classic cast. I haven't used the safety prime system on it because I use the Lee Hand primer to prime my rifle brass. I consistently turn out sub MOA ammo on it.