The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2008, 06:53 PM   #1
sylathnie

45 ACP Handload FTF problems

I've been loading 45 ACP with various rounds of various sizes and types and I've not yet found a round that feeds consistently in all of my guns.The round continuously ends up with its nose chambered and the back hanging out at about a 30 degree angle. With a little push on the slide it will usually slide right in.
Any thoughts?
Old October 26, 2008, 08:14 PM   #2
LHB1

Quote: "I've been loading 45 ACP with various rounds of various sizes and types and I've not yet found a round that feeds consistently in all of my guns.The round continuously ends up with its nose chambered and the back hanging out at about a 30 degree angle."

That is a broad statement with no specifics on either the guns or ammo for us to comment on. Problems such as you describe can be either the gun or the ammo or the mag/s. Do your guns feed factory rounds OK?

1. If not, problem is likely in your gun/s. What guns, bbl lengths, magazines, etc. do you use? Jamming on first round in mag, last round, or in between? Jamming how often? How often do you clean your guns? New guns, used guns, modified guns? If problem persists with factory rounds, perhaps a little tuning by good 1911 gunsmith would be helpful.

2. If so, problem is likely in your reloads. What specific bullet, OAL, and crimp diameter do you use? A common favorite (fully reliable in all my 1911 pistols) is 5.1 W231, WW case, 200 gr #68 LSWC bullet, 1.245 OAL, .471" crimp diameter. Try this combo and see what happens. The seating depth for LSWC bullets should have the bullet shoulder protruding from front of case by about 1/32" which will give an OAL of about 1.240"-1.250". Taper crimp on .45 ACP is just to remove flare/bell from case mouth; most of us use .469"-.472" with no problems.

3. Is problem occurring with all mags or just specific mag/s? May need to tune/replace those mags.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:14 PM   #3
sylathnie

Factory rounds feed fine.
The two guns that I'm using for testing at the moment are a Springfield 1911 Target and a Springfield XD45C.
All magazines (in all guns) exhibit the same problems.
I get a FTF about every 3-4 rounds if not more often.
If cleaned the gun will cycle easier (but not perfectly) for the first 10-20 rounds and then will begin failing again.
I have tried about 5 or 6 different bullets. None have performed any better or worse. These have included SWC, HP and JRN.
I've been working with relatively light loads. The slide cycles fine every time and doesn't seem to be short cycling at all.
I started with a CAOL of about 1.25" and have worked my way down to 1.210" (I initially thought this was my problem)
It's taper crimped to exactly .470"

I'm getting a bit frustrated. I've never had this much trouble getting a load to cycle.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Walther22lr

"I've been working with relatively light loads. The slide cycles fine every time and doesn't seem to be short cycling at all."

Maybe that is the issue there. You mention that when the gun is clean it is fine, then later the FTF start. Perhaps the powder fouling residue is retarding the action just enough so the cartridges are not able to feed properly. I'm not suggesting "hot rodding" your loads, but perhaps increasing them to more middle of the road specs is the answer. I noticed too, that you mention that factory ammo works fine, so I am assuming your reloads are at least below factory specs.

Also, making the cartridge OAL shorter, if I'm not mistaken, will make your problem worse as far as feeding is concerned.
Old October 26, 2008, 10:26 PM   #5
sylathnie

I'm using 4.7 gr of Hodgens Tightgroup. I will throw a few more tenths in there and see what happens.
I started out with 1.25" and worked my way down to 1.21" Should I try longer?
Old October 27, 2008, 09:32 AM   #6
Sturmgewehre

I load my 230gr LRN .45's to 1.25" and have no problems with them feeding in the 7 or so 1911's I regularly shoot the loads in.

Here's where I would check.

1) Check the taper crimp. The crimp should be no more than .470. Make sure none of the bell you've put on the case remains. Don't over crimp.
2) Make sure your sizing die is completely down, it should touch the base plate then be backed off 1/4 - 1/2 turn. You want to make sure you're fully resizing the case.
3) When the round fails to feed, remove the round and inspect the bullet. Are there any marks on the bullet?
4) You might try seating the bullet longer, not shorter. The max OAL is 1.275" so I would give 1.27" a shot and see what happens.
5) Is it one type of brass that causes this failure with your loads or are you using assorted brass?

Good luck.
Old October 27, 2008, 10:17 AM   #7
MADISON

45 ACP feeding problems

It sounds like you need to take the guns and a sample of ammo's to a gunsmith and have him/her polish their feed ramps.
Old October 27, 2008, 07:52 PM   #8
JDG

I run my 230gr fmj at 1.260, Rainier 230gr rn at 1.250. I use Lee dies w/factory crimp. May want to increase your oal a bit, these loads ran in every 45 I put them in.

SWC are very tricky to get right, gotta play with the oal to find what works. I only crimp enough to remove the belling, which I barley use enough of to start with.
Old October 27, 2008, 08:31 PM   #9
Brad01

I think you will find the SWC bullet design to be very difficult in anything other than 1911 pistols. At least that's been my experience. Buy a max cartridge gauge from Midway for about $15 to speed up the trial and error. The only load/specs I can consistantly fire in all my 45s with no problems is the 230gr FMJ RN. I use the Rainier bullet which is slightly more pointed than true round nose ball. Midway pays the freight if you order 2,000. Setting up the taper crimp on 45s is challenging. Don't give up and adjust in tiny increments. When you think you are adjusting in tiny increments, cut the adjustment amount in half and you got the idea. It is a sensitive adjustment.
Old October 27, 2008, 11:00 PM   #10
Scorch

Several issues come to mind for this feeding problem:
* OAL is too long.
* Your taper crimp is not tight enough.
* Powder charge is too light.
* The extractor may need to be properly fitted.
Old October 27, 2008, 11:04 PM   #11
pingpingping

COL of 1.21 or under gave me problems too...1.24 or 1.25 no problems.
Old October 30, 2008, 07:50 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

perhaps; just a thought

Might I suggest instead of what you've been (unsuccessfully) doing, try this:

-Sized case
-CCI300 / WLP
-230g RN bullet (please describe your actual on-hand bullet options)
-5.2g W231 (go get some)
-OAL 1.257" +.004"/-.002"
-Crimp .468--.470"
-Finish with a LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die

MIght work.