The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 11, 2014, 07:53 PM   #1
BerdanSS

Cheap Side lock into a scatter gun?

Anyone ever do this? I came into an old .54 caliber deer hunter R (for free ) with no sights, and the rear screw holes are stripped. Was thinking it might make a fun squirrel blaster. Seemed to remember someone doing this before.
Old March 11, 2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Hawg

You can but it will be one heavy, unwieldy shotgun.
Old March 12, 2014, 04:48 PM   #3
PetahW

I used to use 28ga shotcups for bird shooting, with my T/C Renegade .56SB (smooth bore).

With no choke, I thought it only good for very close shooting.

Old March 12, 2014, 05:53 PM   #4
BerdanSS

this one of course is rifled. Not sure how I'd go about getting it turned into a smooth bore
Old March 12, 2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Hawg

Have the rifling drilled out. I doubt it would cost much more to bore it on out as far as you can which would lighten it up considerably.
Old March 12, 2014, 07:18 PM   #6
Pahoo

You certianly can. ...

Quote:
Seemed to remember someone doing this before.
Yes, this has been done many times by folks. I'm going to assume that the rifling is bad. If so, rifling damage is not always even down the bore. We not only turned them into shotguns but pistols and small cannons. Hate to see good barrels go bad and thrown away. you can always squeeze a little more life out of them. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 13, 2014, 01:08 PM   #7
BerdanSS

Actually the rifling, while shallow...is worn quite evenly

Last edited by BerdanSS; March 13, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old March 13, 2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Pahoo

All the better !!!

Quote:
Actually the rifleing, while shallow...is worn quite evenly
Check the rifling at the crown and if you still have that last bight there, clean it, shoot it and see how it performs. I thought you referring to a badly pitted bore. I have a .36 that also has shallow rifling and it still shoots quite well. Have to admit that I don't shoot it that often ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 13, 2014, 03:16 PM   #9
BerdanSS

The rifling is still quite visible at the muzzle.

The culprit itself

I cold Blued the barrel and then "aged it" with some oil & 0000 steel wool.

Last edited by BerdanSS; March 13, 2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old March 13, 2014, 03:23 PM   #10
BerdanSS

If I had to guess, this rifle was a VERY poorly put together kit.

(1) The barrel and ram rod thimble were both still "in the white"....under the gloss black spray paint I removed that is also poorly done, runs and splatters everywhere. There was a pretty good amount of overspray on the stock too. Like they set it close and down wind of the barrel when they painted it.

(2) The lock and trigger guard are both poorly fitted into the stock.

(3) Ramrod looks to of been cut with a dremmel....and not cut short enough.

(4) no sights, just the wallowed out screw holes.

(5) the stock just has some kind of stain (like minwax) wiped on the stock, no protective coat of any kind.

Other than that, it doesn't look like its been fired much. There was some VERY light pitting around the drum and on the barrel behind the nipple. I just cant think of any possible use I'd have for a badly put together No.11 capped .54.
Old March 13, 2014, 03:41 PM   #11
BerdanSS

Although.....Pahoo, You have me thinking this would make a dandy horse pistol. I have a large chunk of walnut to make a stock from
Old March 13, 2014, 06:47 PM   #12
Pahoo

It is what it is !!!

If an M/L had a heart, it would be the bore. With as picky and handy as you are, just sit back, look at it and it will tell you what it needs. There is nothing there that I see to be, all that bad. Believe me when I say that I have seen a lot worse.....

From time to time, I have to rework some kit guns. The worse part of working with kits, is that folks got too impatient with the project and themselves. ...

Be Safe !!!