The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2001, 10:45 PM   #1
nnciderr

CLP for case lube? Can I?

I was wondering if i can use CLP for case lube. I have some in an aresol can. I'm gonna be reloading 223 with the good ole x-die.

thanks
Old November 26, 2001, 11:44 PM   #2
Freedom in theSkies

I would stick with RCBS case slick... But if the CLP works, please let me know... I've got about a quart of the stuff...
Old November 27, 2001, 12:34 AM   #3
Bud Helms

Stick with case lube. Any CLP on the inside of the case can contribute to contamination of the powder or primer. Also it won't dry out like case lube and you'll have a heck of a wiping job to clean the outside of the cases prior to shooting because you DON'T want to shoot lubed cartridges.
Old November 27, 2001, 01:21 AM   #4
blades67

clp used as case lube is a bad idea.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old November 27, 2001, 01:39 AM   #5
nnciderr

thanks for the replies, i'll stick with the good ole case lube.
Old November 21, 2009, 05:29 PM   #6
ftlewismp

CLP Case Lube

Greetings all,

I can attest CLP works great for case lube. Make sure after you are done sizing your cases you run your cases through your tumbler to remove any trace CLP because yes it does degrade primers and powder. Great Shooting!!!!
Old November 21, 2009, 05:37 PM   #7
kwells6

ftlewismp- i agree

I've done it and still do.
Old November 21, 2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sure it will work great.

But, as someone noted, it's a lot more likely to contaminate your powder or primer if you don't get it all off, and out of, the case.

Essentially, you can use just about anything that has some body to it for case lube.

KY Jelly would very likely make a decent case lube, very similar to some of the other water-based case lubricants that are available.

Our own Tamara has recounted how, when he first started loading, she didn't know she needed a case lube and nearly got a case stuck. Her solution? Wesson vegetable oil.

A few years ago I tried an experiment using Dawn dish detergent cut with a little water. Worked like a champ.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 21, 2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Inspector3711

Kiwi brand mink oil for shoes works great and it's cheap. It's very similiar to Imperial but you get alot more lube for alot less money.
Old November 21, 2009, 11:18 PM   #10
Crashbox

Quote:
Kiwi brand mink oil for shoes works great and it's cheap.[SNIP][/SNIP]
I wonder how Red Wing Boot Oil would work as a case lube? I have almost three quarts of it...! Maybe I'll try it someday.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:09 PM   #11
Pathfinder45

Use the genuine stuff.......

.......STP oil treatment. One bottle lasts for years. There is none better. Anhydrous Lanolin is also reputed to be very good, but I've always used STP.
Old November 22, 2009, 05:08 PM   #12
CraigC

You can use a thin oil for any of the small WCF's. The case walls are thin and don't require much lubrication. Just wipe on a very thin film (do not spray!) before sizing and wipe it off at any point afterwards. No chance of it contaminating the powder or primer and it saves a hell of a lot of time.
Old November 22, 2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

I would avoid CLP because of the Teflon in it. That can transfer from the brass during firing and build up in the chamber and contribute extra bolt head thrust. It isn't necessarily going to come off easily once it's been burnished into the brass by the sizing die. It probably won't matter in a pistol, but at high power rifle pressures it could contribute to dangerous wear and tear on the lugs.

STP, at $1.50 a pint at Wally World is the cheapest high film strength lube you're likely to find. A bargain. In another thread we recently had a new reloader getting case damage from trying to use light oil. I put him onto STP and his troubles went away. Also, once you've stuck a case badly enough that a stuck case extraction tool just tears the head off, you don't forget it. I wouldn't use any low film strength lube for any sizing operation, just to avoid that thrill.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle