The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Endshake corrected!

This Hy Hunter single action had an excessive amount of cylinder endshake.

So I ordered a new cylinder bushing from Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. last week. It arrived in today's mail, so I hied out to the shop and replaced it. It required a little fitting, but I had it in place in about five minutes. Now all endshake is gone.

Bob Wright
Old February 19, 2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Isk

Can you provide more explanation? I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag (old model with the conversion, I know, but I bought it on the cheap) that has a minor amount of endshake. It isn't anything I consider problematic, but I load it up with the most powerful ammo I can find (Double Tap and Buffalo Bore) for use in the woods. I wouldn't mind correcting what endshake there is if the solution is easy and cheap and might pevent any further degradation.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:38 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Rugers don't have cylinder bushings. Bob's problem appears to be solved, but this is a case where correcting one problem, endshake, might create others, like excess headspace or excess barrel/cylinder gap.

A perceptible amount of endshake is common and no cause for concern unless it becomes excessive. What is excessive? I can't tell without handling the gun. But if I had a Ruger that I felt had excessive endshake, I would return it to Ruger, not use a local gunsmith or try a DIY fix.

Of course it doesn't help to fire "the most powerful ammo I can find" on anything like a steady basis. Sometimes I wish guns had a "red line" like the tach on cars so people would know that their hot loads WILL destroy the gun and sooner, not later.

Jim
Old February 19, 2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Isk

I don't fire that ammo on a regular basis. But I fire it often enough to get used to the recoil and to make sure it hits close to point of aim. It's the most powerful handgun I have and around here, I don't want to skimp on the power when I step off my porch.

It really isn't that much endshake (the width of a sheet or two of printer paper I guess). Just curious if it was something that needed looking into.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Bob Wright

Rugers, as has been pointed out, have no cylinder bushing. However, Powers Customs, I believe, make shims to reduce endshake.

If your gun is firing O.K. now, shims would correct it without any problem. But I would address the issue. Continued battering will accelerate the problem.

Bob Wright