The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 26, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Tom Coburn Supporting Registration?

According to this article, Sen. Tom Coburn of OK, a GOA A+ rated candidate and the man ABC News called the single biggest obstacle to gun control said:

"“I think there’s lots of good things that can happen in terms of mental health screening and checks,” Coburn told KRMG-TV Friday.* “If you transfer your car, you have to have a license to transfer, it has to go through that. That’s a responsibility of freedom. I have no problems with us making sure that we don’t allow guns to get in the hands of either felons, or people who are a danger to themselves or other people. … I’m willing to work with Manchin and Schumer on that, and going to.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s=rss_politics

Please contact the Senator and politely explain why this is a bad idea:

Senator Tom Coburn

Washington D.C.:
172 Russell Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
Main: 202-224-5754
Fax: 202-224-6008

Tulsa:
1800 South Baltimore
Suite 800
Tulsa, OK 74119
Main: 918-581-7651
Fax: 918-581-7195

Oklahoma City:
100 North Broadway
Suite 1820
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Main: 405-231-4941
Fax: 405-231-5051

Website form: http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/?p=ContactForm

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; January 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

I missed the word "registration" in the article.

Quote:
If you transfer your car, you have to have a license to transfer
That of course is completely untrue. A title is required to complete a sale but that is something completely different.

I love these little WAPO gems:

Quote:
Kirk, who is much more moderate than Coburn and hails from a state suffering from urban gun violence, also plans to unveil legislation next week with Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) to make illegal gun trafficking a federal crime.
You know what that means..... illegal gun trafficking will be double illegal!
Old January 26, 2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Shooter
You know what that means..... illegal gun trafficking will be double illegal!
It's kinda like "double secret probation."

Bart, do you want non-Oklahoma TFLers to contact Coburn? I'm happy to drop him a line, but I'm not a constituent of his.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:02 PM   #4
thallub

Coburn sometimes goes off on tangents. BTW: The fact that Coburn is a medical doctor may explain his take on gun control.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

I think anyone who can make a good, polite, reasoned argument should contact him. I plan to contact him myself, just trying to draft a reply without expletives.

As for requiring a license to transfer, I equate that as being registration. If it isn't at first, it will be soon enough. And you don't need a license to transfer a car, you need one to drive it on public roads - and the registration of cars is ostensibly about paying taxes to support those roads.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:55 PM   #6
terzmo

when you sell your car..a license to transfer......but a person still has their choice on what car they care to buy..be it from 125hp to over 500hp....children killed EVERY day by "speed" and where's the rush to "control" that ?
Old January 26, 2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
If you transfer your car, you have to have a license to transfer, it has to go through that. That’s a responsibility of freedom.
The man has taken leave of his senses. I'm 69 years old and I've been a car nut all my life. I've bought and sold a LOT of cars in those 69 years, and I have never had to show a driver's license to either buy or sell a car. To buy, I needed cash or a certified check. To sell, I had to have my title to the car I was selling.

That's it.

This man has had staff doing his menial taks of living for too long, and he no longer even knows how the real world works.

Besides, the Second Amendment doesn't say anything about a right to transfer motor vehicles.