The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 10, 2012, 03:09 PM   #1
minevan

Set 18 for pistol permit at 18 nationwide

I dont know if any of you have heard about the site We the People. It is run by Whitehouse.gov which is the official website of the whitehouse. This site allows an easy way for people to petition the government. All petitions that reach 25,000 signatures withing 30 days of posting will be reviewed by whatever department in the government it applies to and they will post a response. Its a legit site that ive checked out and researched. Yesterday November 9th, 2012 i created a petition to set a National age for obtaining a pistol permit at 18. I know in some states it is 21 like here in NY. I feel that our society views people as adults at age 18 and it is also the age you can own long guns. The first step is to get 150 people to support it then it will be displayed on the website for all to see. Please if you feel this is a good idea support it. I am 17 and will be 18 in December. I hate the fact that i have to wait another 3 years before i can obtain a pistol permit. here is the link. All you have to do is make an account(takes 30 seconds or less) then follow the directions too add your name to the petition. It will not display your last name for privacy reasons for the general public to see. Please if you enjoy being able to own a pistol then add your name. even if your over 21 wouldnt you have wanted to be able to get it at 18? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

http://wh.gov/9N11
Old November 10, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
wayneinFL

Are you talking about a permit to purchase or a permit to carry? Since a permit to purchase isn't required in most states, you might have more luck finding support to change the law on a state level.
Old November 10, 2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Don H

No permit needed to buy a handgun here and an 18-year old can legally buy a handgun in a private party sale. In any case, "pistol permits" are a state issue, not a federal issue.
Old November 10, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Technosavant

Federal law does require their licensees to not sell handguns to people under 21 years of age. However, there's no permit involved, and depending on state law it may be legal for an 18 year old to purchase a handgun in a private party sale.