The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1
rebs

loading bench and chair height ?

I have a loading bench I converted from a heavy duty work bench which is 36 inches high. I have a chair that is 19 inches high and a stool that is 29 inches high. The problem is the chair is too low and the stool is too high.
What would you recommend changing to make it more comfortable ?
I have been thinking about cutting the stool down to 24 inches since that would be easier than cutting down the bench.
What are the heights of your loading bench and chair ?
Old October 14, 2012, 12:36 PM   #2
g.willikers

One bench is 36" tall with a 29" tall chair, like yours, and is about right.
The other is 28" tall with a 22" tall chair, and is just fine, also.
So, 6" or so difference in height between bench and chair seems to be the number for me.
Maybe I lean and stoop more than you.
Old October 14, 2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Gster

My reloading bench is in my den and is right off the end of my computer bench. My office chair works great because it is adjustable for height. My reloading bench is 5" taller than the computer bench.
Old October 14, 2012, 02:07 PM   #4
tkglazie

I reload with my press on a Lee Press Stand (the triangle one). I like having my loading station set off from the work surface. I can move my swivel chair in any position around the press depending on my preference. I like the way this lets me get "around" the press and inspect the cartridge all throughout the process (I load with a turret press in indexing mode)
Old October 14, 2012, 03:54 PM   #5
billcarey

I don't know of a "correct" height other than what works for the individual. I've reloaded on low and high benches...using an adjustable swiveling stool at both. My preference is high, so I extended the legs on the low bench to match the high bench. I like the high bench because I can sit or stand to work.

bc
Old October 14, 2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Djmudge

Mine is off a 32 inch shool teacher desk and a standard adjustable computer chair. All up to you and how you feel.
Old October 14, 2012, 09:28 PM   #7
thedaddycat

I read a post a while back and one reply was from a guy who had talked to a machinist or something about this issue. The bottom line was that the seat should be at a height so that when you are sitting on it you can rest your elbow on the workbench and rest your chin on your hand. Me, I just spin the stool around until it's higher or lower to get it where I want it...
Old October 14, 2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Oddzball

I just stand to be honest.

Sitting can make the up-stroke more work then it needs to be for me.

I tried using a stool for a while but I get up and inspect stuff to much to be sitting.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:30 AM   #9
droptrd

I built my bench at 36". I built my stool at 28". Just right for me.
Old October 15, 2012, 07:04 AM   #10
fineredmist

One section of my reloading bench is 40" and the other is 44" and I use a 28" bar stool. I use the 40" area for misc functions and my 2 loading presses are on the 44" section. This setup allows me to sit or stand at my convenience.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:32 AM   #11
drail

The exact numbers are going to be different for different people but you do need to get it just right for you. All of my friends reload standing up. I do it sitting down. I ended up making the bench a little on the low side and put wood blocks under the press to raise it until I found the right height. I like to be high enough above the press handle to use my upper body weight when resizing .44 Magnum cases. Even with carbide dies if I have to do a large amount of "stiff" brass I use a little bit of case lube. It makes the "up" stroke much easier.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:41 AM   #12
jmorris

My bench is 32" tall and I use and adjustable office chair. The reason for the adjustment is that unless you only have one model of press you will need to change the height.
Old October 15, 2012, 12:12 PM   #13
BigJimP

My bench ...is "counter top" height ....so a standard bar stool height works for me....

but I'd just cut the stool down to whatever height you need...as long as you don't feel like you're sitting in a "hole"...

I reload all of my metallic and shotshells...at counter top height benches...and sitting on a stool.../ no problem seeing what is going on - making sure the process is correct.
Old October 15, 2012, 02:12 PM   #14
rodfac

My benches are all 36" high...this allows me to rest my foot on a GI ammo box below the bench and saves my back! My rifle press stool is (the one used with the ammo box) is 29-1/2" tall and padded. This particular setup works well where I'm resizing tough brass...(Nato issue .308's are notorious for tough sizing.)

With the Dillon presses, both 550B's for handgun loading, my alternate stool is 24" tall and allows me easy press operation with no "across the shoulders" fatigue while doing lots of 400-450 rounds, (roughly 2-1/2 hour's work).

Here's a pic of the setup...Dillon's on display to the left with the shorter stool, one set for large primers and the other for small...easy caliber changes that way... on the right is the dedicated rifle bench with the taller stool and the ammo boxes below; that's an old Herters #3 press on the left that I've had since '61 or '62 and a much newer and very precise Harrell's Turret next to the safe.

Best Regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 15, 2012, 03:06 PM   #15
rebs

The two biggest problems I have is that the low chair is too low to be comfortable when I measure powder and need to see the digital scale, the higher stool is too high to work the press because the handle of my rcbs junior needs to be pushed so low to complete a full cycle. Maybe my solution is to use both the chair and the stool for different things I am doing.
Old October 15, 2012, 03:08 PM   #16
rclark

Not sure (I am at work) what height my bench is, but it is high enough so I can comfortably work standing without bending over. For sitting I have a bar type stool if I need to sit down and rest my feet on a low shelf under the bench. Works great for me. A standard chair is 'way' to low. Most of my reloading is done standing. If I need to, say, solder some wire, or clean a gun then I'll sit down....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 15, 2012, 03:46 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

I have a 35" tall bench and a 36.5" tall bench. I use "24 inch" bar stools at both, with the presses mounted directly to the bench surface (no strong mounts, etc).

One bar stool is closer to 22.75", and the other is 24.5".
Old October 15, 2012, 06:55 PM   #18
Crankylove

My bench is set up in Frankenmausers basement, so I will have to get measurements next trip over there, but I think we decided my bench is about 6" too tall. It's a great height for standing, but too tall for comfort while sitting, so I end up doing all my case prep, gun cleaning, and reloading while standing.

I have a bar stool like Frankenmausers, but it doesn't get any use. My bench was the first rough draft, his we actually decided what chair he was going to use, then set the press up on boxes to figure out what bench height to go with....Worked out much better that way.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:44 AM   #19
hooligan1

My bench is about 36 inches tall but we don't use any stools or chairs we stand mostly while working on loads, when I work on guns or anything else I have a nice office chair at a solid oak office desk, with a 1/2 inch thick plexi-glass cover. It's nice to be able to kick back and throw my feet up, and catch up on my sleep, when the "ole woman"is out and about.
Old October 18, 2012, 04:57 PM   #20
johnjohn

I stand for everything, if I'm sitting I always seem to need something thats just out of reach,get up sit down,oh wait a minute I need that other thingamajig,stand up again. Just stay standing.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:22 PM   #21
ronz

Mine is 43” best to make one that is comfortable to work on either standing or sitting that way if you ever get in the predicament where you cant sit or stand for a period of time you can still use it
Can always find a stool cheap that fits it I got a 30” bar stool from good will for $10 works perfect
Old October 18, 2012, 08:18 PM   #22
rebs

I used a tubing cutter and shortened the legs on my stool, now it just right. Thanks for ll the replies
Old October 19, 2012, 04:51 AM   #23
A pause for the COZ

How high you want your bench, press or chair is totally subjective to the user.
I am tall so I like my stuff set high. My wood bench I made it hip high for me while standing.
My new addition is a metal bench with a 1/4 inch steel top. My Hornady press rides way to low for my liking. Off to the scrap pile for some bits.

I built a steel base to raise it to a comfortable level for me.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; October 19, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old October 19, 2012, 05:45 AM   #24
4runnerman

Plus one for Oddzball. I have a desk i use to powder,chamfer,and trim,but all else is done standing.
Old October 21, 2012, 06:18 AM   #25
Cajun Ken

Arrange your set up so that when sitting, your forearm is parallel to the floor when resting on the table.