The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
30cal_or_higher

348 Winchester ????

I have a friend who wants to load his own...or he wants me to load for his 348 win. I have limited load data on this cartridge.

Does anyone aound this site know anything or anyone I might get in touch with to learn a bit more about this round. It looks like on helluva deer round or small bear round, and I would really like to not screw anything up.

Any info is greatly appreciate.

Thanks.
Old November 11, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Barnes and Noble ?

Try to find a Lyman 47th edition or older All you need is there ! The .358 is a better cartridge and alot more bullets available , IMO .
Old November 11, 2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Malamute

Check in over here, http://www.levergunscommunity.com/ and either search, or sign up and ask. There's a number of .348 fans there. Most load their own. Threads with load info come up now and then.

It's a great round and a great rifle. Its good for more than small bears. It has had a strong following in Alaska for many years, including Kodiak. On the Alaska outdoors forum, one poster told of a rancher on Kodiak that used a Winchester model 71 for bear killing for many years and had no complaints. Loaded with the Barnes 250 gr originals, it has a good reputation for killing large critters with sharp edges. I carry mine with Barnes 250's up on the mountain where the grizzlies live and play.

The 358 may be "better" in some technical sense, but it has nowhere near the soul and character of a 71 and the 348 round. The Model 71 Winchester being a somewhat updated (for 1937) version of the model 1886 Winchester.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old November 12, 2009, 12:53 AM   #4
JASmith

I used a .348 for a few years -- and still have the rifle after many more.

Rifle is great for ranges where iron sights are good. Standard scopes have to be side mounted. Wish I knew about scout scopes in 1962!
Old November 12, 2009, 11:31 AM   #5
CraigC

The .358 'may' be a better cartridge, hell lots of cartridges may be "better" but that doesn't do you much good if you're trying to feed a Winchester or Browning 71.
Old November 12, 2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Malamute

Good point Craig.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old November 13, 2009, 07:31 AM   #7
30cal_or_higher

Thanks for the info folks...I am all set up with dies and I need to get some down range asap opening day in MI is only two days away! I can't believe I wasn't on this site earlier...would have saved so much more time.

Thanks again!
Old November 13, 2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
The .358 is a better cartridge and alot more bullets available , IMO .
That helps him with 348 how?
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 13, 2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Malamute

3 grs of Red Dot with a .350" diameter round ball lubed with Lee liquid Alox makes a nice small game and grouse load. Hardly any noise. I'm just starting to experiment with this combination in the 348. I use a similar load of Unique in the 30-30 for small game and grouse. Red Dot reportedly isnt as position sensitive as Unique.