The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 5, 2016, 11:53 PM   #1
GerryRA

Is the Hy Hunter Remington Zouave approved for NSSA shoots?

I’m looking for information on the quality, and fair value of a reproduction Remington 1863 ‘Zouave’ 2 band rifle, and if it is NSSA approved.

No pictures, but when I saw it a couple of months ago, under the dust, it looked like it just came out of the box. Owner says it was purchased in the early 1960’s.

Barrel marking between rear sight and tang:
Hy Hunter inc. Firearms Mfg. Co.
Hollywood, California, U.S.A.

Serial number 1358 marked on:
Barrel breech left flat, inside trigger guard bow, inside patch box lid, and on stock inside patch box

Stock is a straight grained hardwood with light walnut stain.

Made in Italy marked on the right side of the barrel below the rear sight

Left barrel breech flat also marked HHH

Proof marks on left of breech:
circled star over PN; star over shield with crossed guns; circled star over FINI10; XVIII

Proof mark on barrel tang: circled star over shield with crossed guns

The breech plug and tang are threaded into the rear of the barrel

Italian proof marks per http://www.tiropratico.com/htm/punzoni.htm
Armi con polvere nera / Canna e Codettone
Weapons with black powder / barrel and ?????

Prova definitiva a polvere nera
Definitive black powder test

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Old August 6, 2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Hawg

XVIII is 1962. Hy Hunter does not have a good reputation. Hy Hunter Zouaves are not on the NSSA approved list, supposedly banned from NSSA because of brazed breeches. Hy Hunter was an importer and not a manufacturer and nobody seems to know who the actual manufacturer was. You can google it and come up with the same info but they all pretty much read like this.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/traditi...hunter-zouave/
Old August 6, 2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Tidewater_Kid

Looks like some were better quality than others. Hy Hunter was just the importer.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...Hunter-Zouaves

TK
Old August 6, 2016, 05:25 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

I can't speak to the Zouave you are talking about.

But, whenever I hear "Hy Hunter" . . . it makes me want to RUN in the opposite direction. Back in the 1960's, I had the opportunity to look at and examine several "Hy Hunter" single shot BP pistols. One I remember in particular was called the "Buccaneer". The breech plugs were not threaded into the breeches they wee a smooth tapered fit - slid in to the breech and pinned. Not what I would want in line with my head when shooting.

If you are considering purchasing it, I'd be checking the breech plug/breed as well as other parts such as the lock internals, bore, etc.

As a fromer N-SSA shooter . . . it the N-SSA doesn't approve it, that would be enough for me to think twice on it. I own two different Remington Zouave repros. One I've owned since the early 60s - no maker's name bu a very well built rifle with a true walnut stock and it has had literally thousands of rounds through it. I recently picked up a Navy Arms Zouave made my Zoli. The quality isn't as good as the one I bought in the 60s but it s adequate. A hardwood stock (not walnut) and fit and finish appear to be decent with a bore that is an ideal fit for the minies that drop from my Lyman/Ideal 575-213 mold.

Again, no experience with a Hy Hunter Zouave - but checkout over carefully. Used Zoli Zouaves are fairly easy to find and priced around $300 - $350 from what I've seen. I was able to snag mine for $200 and that's the primary reason I picked it up.

Good luck to you and hope it all works out.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 11, 2016, 06:21 PM   #5
GerryRA

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information on the Hy Hunter Zouave.

So my friend’s rifle is now just a wall hanger. What a disappointment. The finish of the metal, and the wood to metal fit of the lock plate, breech and tang, trigger guard, and buttplate are as good as I have seen on any replica, and every fitted part has an assembly or serial number. What a shame to have wasted such work on a useless rifle.

I have failed to find any actual report of a Hy Hunter Zouave barrel failure. It would be of interest to know just went wrong - whether it was a user overload on a proofed gun, or an intrinsic weakness that will always fail in time.
Old August 11, 2016, 09:12 PM   #6
Hawg

You can remove the barrel and scrape the joint where the breechplug meets the barrel and if it's not brazed I'd have no problem shooting it. If it is brazed it really is nothing but a wallhanger.