The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 24, 2014, 07:20 PM   #1
MTT TL

HK MP5 .22lr Compensator

I do not know if this has come up before but I am new to this gun and did not find anything on a cursory search so....

I purchased this gun at the LGS as a range toy. Since it is a toy I was playing with it. While I playing with it I noticed that the "fake silencer" (according to the manual description) that comes with the gun screws in at the muzzle, not the rear. This got me to wondering if it would shoot with it screwed in as real suppressor might be... after all the manual describes it as "fake".

So I take the "fake silencer" and unscrew it and reverse it and screw it in so that it runs out from the barrel. It looked like there was plenty of clearance so I fired a few rounds. It was definitely more quiet. It was getting dark so I did not feel like running to the shop to grab my meter but it sounded more quiet. So I grabbed some subsonics and loaded them up and fired a few rounds. Now it was really quiet. Not as quiet as a one of my suppressed .22s but nearly so.

So this leads me to the following questions:

1. Would you deem this safe or unsafe?

2. My understanding is that reducing the noise level no matter how much qualifies it as a suppressor; is this so?

3. If the "fake silencer" functions as a real silencer and it is actually attached to the weapon during normal operations is this some kind of weird BATFE rule violation for constructive possession just for having it?

I am actually considering selling the gun just to avoid problems, which is a shame because it is a fun range toy. Other comments appreciated.
Old August 24, 2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

I'm guessing you have the HK MP5 .22?

GSG ended up with the ATF recalling their MP5s for that very reason and made them swap out the hollow muzzle shrouds with solid ones, saying the hollow ones effectively ARE suppressors and therefore subject to NFA governance.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_41/305635_.html
Old August 24, 2014, 08:30 PM   #3
MTT TL

Everything indicates that it is an HK (produced by Carl Walther), not a GSG. It came NIB with the documentation and everything.