The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 30, 2010, 05:51 PM   #1
lockedcj7

Range report: YHM Mite

This is my first foray into NFA items and I decided to jump in with a .22lr suppressor. After doing a lot of reading and researching, I decided that a YHM mite would fit within my budget and seemed to have a good reputation. Keep in mind that I've never even held another brand so I have absolutely nothing to compare it to.

First impressions: The unit is quite small and light as one might expect for an aluminum suppressor. It appears to be well finished, well made and must be CNC machined based on the precise nature of all the internal cuts. The lettering on the outside is etched and is very precise. Unfortunately it's airbrushed or screen printed with white and the edges of the letters are fuzzy. Attachment to the firearm was straightforward.

I should have fired the gun without the suppressor to get a direct comparison but I was in a hurry and didn't. Besides, I've fired lots of .22lr pistols and revolvers and I have a good idea how loud they are. The sound produced by the first round was quite a bit more than I expected.

I know that real suppressors aren't "Hollywood quiet" but I think I was secretly hoping that it would be. I tried it with UMC "hi-speed" loads and noticed a distinct sonic crack. I don't have a chronograph so I can't verify it but I suspect that they were running super-sonic. I know that many people claim that all .22lr ammo will be subsonic out of a pistol but I don't believe it.

I also tried it with Remington sub-sonic hollow points and they were noticably quieter with no "crack". The sound was comparable to, and probably quieter, than my pneumatic brad nailer. Overall, I'm very pleased. Once I got used to the amount of noise that it made, I began to consider how quiet it actually is. I have a .22 bolt action rifle that is very quiet with the subsonic ammo already. I can't wait to get it threaded to see just how quiet it will be!

YHM supplies a really beefy takedown tool and disassemby could not have been easier. The baffle assembly is all one piece, unscrews with the supplied tool and comes out as a unit. I cleaned it per YHM's instructions and reassembled with anti-seize.

The picture was taken after disassembly but before cleaning. I had fired about 40 rounds. The blocks on the target are exactly 1 inch and that should give everyone and idea about the size. I'm writing up a range report for the pistol and it will be on the semi-auto forum.

Old January 30, 2010, 08:54 PM   #2
richmondtx

What pistol were you using to shoot, I have 2 TI65 silencers and have shot a YHM Mite as well side by side from two Sig Mosquito pistols as well as 2 walther P22s They are both good and both can be cleaned.

The plus for the YHM is its ease of takedown...TI doesn't supply you with a takedown tool, you have to spend another 50 bucks to get that and it isn't as nice as the YHM

I also have a YHM M4 Cobra for my Glock 17, that thing is awesome. I have shot .22 LR CCI minimags through my SIG Mosquito and Walther with both the YHM and the TI with no sonic crack, as the barrel length will not let these rounds break the sonic barrier...but we all know there is more to that then just FPS Many things like temp, dew point, humidity etc play a part!
Old January 30, 2010, 10:17 PM   #3
lockedcj7

The pistol was a 5.5" Browning Buckmark Camper Whisper, temp was around 31 degrees F and humidity was probably 100%.

I'm already thinking about a 9mm or 30 cal can and YHM isn't out of the running. Being able to clean it was definitely a selling point.
Old February 1, 2010, 08:21 PM   #4
paper757

Any chance you could post a pic of it mounted on the buckmark?..specifically the as to any possible obstruction of the sights. I have been thinking about getting one myself.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:28 AM   #5
reaper715

I have an AAC Pilot I bought years ago. I use it on a SIG Mosquito, a SBR'd GSG-5 and a savage bolt action. the bolt action is scary quiet. u hear the bullet hitting the target and nothing else. I use the Remington green box sub-sonic rounds in all of them. The only thing about my can is it is an old design and doesn't come apart for cleaning. It is a pain to clean but I love it.
Old February 2, 2010, 07:00 PM   #6
lockedcj7

for paper757

Here is a link to the thread where I wrote up the gun. It has a pic of the can mounted. It's so small that it doesn't interfere with the sight picture at all and it's so light that you hardly realize it's there.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=395953