The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2007, 10:45 PM   #1
gedenke

Newbie question...need some help

I'm new to handloading and need some recommendations for my 6.5x257 Arisaka 38. I'd like a good, accurate load (or two) that would be easy and affordable for a noob like me. Oh, I think I'll use this rifle for alot of range work, as well as hunting coyotes, smaller critters, and maybe deer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

p.s. To clear up any confusion before it starts, I did NOT mean to type 6.5x57, the gun is chambered for 6.5x257 Roberts (wish I had a buck for every time somebody asked me that )
Old December 16, 2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Wapiti

I would recommend the 75 gr for critters, and the 100 for deer.
I would start 10-15% below maximum charge, load various loads going up and down 1 grain at a time, and shoot groups of 5 looking for the best group. If you have access to a chronograph, look for the load that gives the most consistent vel from round to round. Find a load that your gun shoots well and stick with that.
Old December 18, 2007, 12:13 PM   #3
gedenke

Thanks Wapiti, could you be more specific? I've heard that the Arisaka's like the 129 and 140 grain bullets, but what I need is what brand/type of bullet and what brand/type of powder as well as how much powder to use as a good starting point. I've thumbed through a couple of loading books and none of them had data for a 6.5x257. They have the more common ones like 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 6.5x284 and such. Can anybody give me some pointers?

All I've got so far (from another thread) is IMR 4831/129gr Hornady Interlok, and H4831/140gr Sierra. Should I just try those?

Oh, and one more thing, what kind of primers should I get?
Old December 18, 2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Sport45

Deleted by Sport45

Last edited by Sport45; December 19, 2007 at 03:54 AM. Reason: to hide my ignorance of this wildcat
Old December 19, 2007, 03:49 AM   #5
Scorch

gedenke-
Wildcats are usually hard to find load data for, but in this case you are in luck. Hornady 7th Edition reloading manual (the newest) lists load data for the 6.5X57 (for load information purposes it's the same cartridge as yours). It seems IMR4350 is the powder of choice, 129 gr and 140 gr bullets are the classic weights.

129 gr bullet, OAL 3.005", IMR4350, min 39.3gr @ 2400 fps, max 44.5 gr @ 2800 fps.

140 gr bullet, OAL 3.030", IMR4350, min 36.3 gr @ 2300 fps, max 43.8 gr @ 2700 fps.

If you are going to try different powders and such, I would strongly recommend buying a reloading manual.
Old December 19, 2007, 03:53 AM   #6
Sport45

I did a quick search and found that this was a common rechambering for model 38 Arisakas after the war. It's basically a .257 Roberts with the neck expanded to 6.5mm.

Steves pages lists some load ranges.

http://stevespages.com/264_3_120.html
Old December 19, 2007, 12:14 PM   #7
gedenke

Thanks for the comments guys, that helps! At least it'll give me a starting point. Oh, man, I think I can see my next addiction coming on....reloading that is!

Now, how 'bout some suggestions on where to get the best deals on bullets and powder and such (online)? I've looked at midway and cabela's, and they seem to have decent prices/selection. I'll also look into my local shops but I'm doubtful they'll have much variety of the .264 stuff.
Old December 20, 2007, 03:09 PM   #8
htshot

Graff and Sons of Mexico Missouri is a good source of reloading supplies 'they are reasonable and shipping is a low fixed price. I shoot the 6.5x257 and use H4831 with 140 gr. Searria spbt bullets. Use any large primer for standard rifle brass ,not magnum. You may have a problem finding dies to load with but you can have a set made by RCBS for a price. Graff and Sons used to sell them under the Redding brand 'they may still have some. RCBS and others used to make them years ago ,so there are used ones out there if you look around. Myself I just take a 6.5 hornady neck expander and neck up a 257 Roberts case. I resize fired cases (neck only) with a 6.5 Sweed die. Works quite well.After several firing they may not chamber up because of base swelling due to not full case sizing , you will need the 6.5x257 set for this or you can run them through a 257 Roberts die and start over, but this puts a lot of stretching stress on the case. IT may crack. Hope I was of some help.
Old December 20, 2007, 04:42 PM   #9
gedenke

Thanks, htshot, I'll check out Graff & Sons. If you're interested in why I'm asking about the 6.5x257, here's a link to my thread about the Arisaka type 38 I recently bought:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=267447.
Scroll down towards the end of the thread for some pics...