The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Closed Thread

Old August 10, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1
haliwa04

Ok, I learned my lesson about cheap optics

So, I recently got a 10/22 for under $200, in amazing shape, with base, rings, and a 4x BSA included. I shot with the BSA for maybe a week, and hated it. It sucked in anything less than full sun, and wouldn't hold zero more than 5 shots. So, I picked up a used Tasco 3-9x50 World Class, figuring it wouldn't exceed what i paid for the rifle, and it would be better than the BSA. Boy, was I wrong. While it was clear, and looked cool on the gun, it had one major issue: The person I got it from was a little less than honest, and I was a little less than wise about taking the scope on trade. I mounted it, took pictures, and put it up since it was dark. Well, I got up the next morning, loaded up mags and headed outside. Three shots down range, high and right. Ok, let's adjust to get zeroed in. That never happened. The adjustment caps were so tight, even with cushioned channel locks they would not come loose. I finally went caveman on them and the whole turret came loose from the scope. So, without putting much thought into it, I put a little lock tite on the turret threads and let it sit while i was at work. That night when I got home I put some penetrating oil on the underside of the caps, hoping it would get down in the threads and i could get them loose. I let that sit overnight, and broke out the cushioned pliers once again. This time, the whole turret came loose, apparently the adjustment threads are stuck now, and it is clicking when you turn the caps . I can't get them all the way out and they will not tighten back up now. From what I read on the Tasco site is that scope carries a limited lifetime warranty, so i'll call them and see if they'll do an idiot a favor. That way i can at least use the scope until my brain figures out how to put money toward a decent optic. Has anyone ever had this happen? Found a fix for it? Suggestions? I know alot will tell me to ditch the scope and pony up some greenbacks. And I understand that now. But, I dont want to just throw a scope away, as that could be sold and cash be put toward something else. Thanks
Old August 10, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
603Country

Sounds to me like you have a worthless paperweight that once was a rifle scope. Toss it and buy something else. Plenty of threads in this forum on what to buy for various prices. I'd suggest a used scope by Leupold (full lifetime warranty, even if you didn't buy it new). I hear Vortex has a similar warranty, but I don't know that to be a fact. And Nikon and Burris will do fine also.
Old August 10, 2013, 08:11 PM   #3
ripnbst

Clearly since you replaced a BSA with a Tasco you aren't looking to spend a lot of money. I would buy a Nikon Pro Staff and nothing else in the "cheap" category. Check out Optics Planet's dealer demo and open box scopes. Really good value in some of those.
Old August 10, 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
TXAZ

Optics are often an area many feel cheap =OK.
I know a .50 BMG shooter that put a $500 "good" scope on his beast, from his .308.

Less than 20 rounds later, the scope was toast, unable to handle the recoil. He ended up spending almost $3K for one with an excellent reputation from guys shooting a similar config.

I mention this not as you'll experience similar recoil, but I would expect you may scopes in the $150-300 range much more to your liking, and find they hold a zero, have a better sight pic and are more of a joy to shoot.

Good luck.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 11, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
haliwa04

Re: Ok, I learned my lesson about cheap optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnbst View Post
Clearly since you replaced a BSA with a Tasco you aren't looking to spend a lot of money. I would buy a Nikon Pro Staff and nothing else in the "cheap" category. Check out Optics Planet's dealer demo and open box scopes. Really good value in some of those.
I paid $150 for the gun, I refuse to pay more for a scope. Barrel, yes. Stock, maybe. No need for leupold. I'm not a sniper, or competing. My friend that is kind of an optic snob, has Simmons 8 point on a $4-500 10/22. He killed me at bench rest battleship.

Why does everyone here suggest sticking $4-500 scopes on something that's not going to do any more work than a few squirrels and backyard paper punching?

I won't buy a Tasco or BSA out of a store for full price. I'm currently looking at a Simmons 8 point, and blazer. Both are 3-9x40, never used(taken off package deals), and cost a whopping $25 each. Unless someone would like to be uber generous and donate a Swarovski, I'll stick to el cheapo for my chicken of the tree.

Last edited by haliwa04; August 11, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old August 11, 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
allaroundhunter

An optics snob does not put a Simmons 8 point on a gun, they aren't the best of scopes, either.

What you will find is that if you want a good scope that won't let you down, $150 is about the minimum that you will have to spend. I learned that the hard way, but now the majority of my scopes cost about as much (or more) than the guns that they are on. The reason that I spend that money on a scope is because I don't want to have the question in the back of my mind when I am hunting of whether or not the scope is still zeroed. My .270 WSM came with a Simmons scope on it. It lasted all of 2 shots. The scope that is on it now cost me $400 (the gun was $450). I have no doubts when I pull it out about where that bullet is going to hit, and confidence in your gear is what will make a hunt go well.

And for what it's worth, snipers do not use $150 scopes. Their scopes cost no less than $2,000.
Old August 11, 2013, 08:42 AM   #7
ripnbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by haliwa04 View Post
I paid $150 for the gun, I refuse to pay more for a scope.
You're doing it wrong. You have much to learn young Skywalker. It is not uncommon to spend twice on an optic as on the rifle.

Also, so far no one in this thread has recommended a $500 scope so calm down. I recommended the Pro Staff and news flash this is a "package take off" now from some Savage rifles and could be found for cheap but you might have to spend *gasp* upwards of $75 for one.

Did you even go to Opticsplanet and look at their open box and demo scopes like I recommended?

Last edited by ripnbst; August 11, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old August 11, 2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Hawg

I put a cheap Bushnell fixed 4 power on my Marlin 60. Cost a whopping 25 bucks on sale at Wal Mart and has been a great scope. If it comes apart today it was still money well spent.
Old August 11, 2013, 08:55 AM   #9
chiefr

IMHO, I have seen both expensive scopes and "Cheap" scopes with problems. I too had a Simmons scope I could not remove the cover to adjust the reticle. When I used force, the entire turrent and its insides came out. Sent back to Simmons & they replaced it free.
Also had a 7.5" 500S&W with a Simmons scope mounted on top. I blasted away at least 500 full power rounds thru that beast & the Simmons scope never failed.
Friend of mine has a SRH in 480. He put a new Leupold on it and it lost its zero. Leupold promptly repaired it.
Most scopes come with lifetime warranties. Recommend sending in and saving receipts.
Old August 11, 2013, 10:05 AM   #10
mfreem08

Hey guys. I too have been looking for a scope to put on my Marlin 60. Like the OP I will not be using this for more than plinking or the occasional squirrel. According to a rimfire website, a lot of guys spoke very highly of this scope. Doesn't seem like a bad price either at $70
comments or suggestions?

http://www.tasco.com/products/index....F2C54488B8965E
Old August 11, 2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Dave P

I always suggest a reasonable/starter scope from walmart. If it causes problems, take it back and get a better one. Repeat until satisfied.
Old August 11, 2013, 10:19 AM   #12
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnbst View Post
You're doing it wrong. You have much to learn young Skywalker. It is not uncommon to spend twice on an optic as on the rifle.

Also, so far no one in this thread has recommended a $500 scope so calm down. I recommended the Pro Staff and news flash this is a "package take off" now from some Savage rifles and could be found for cheap but you might have to spend *gasp* upwards of $75 for one.

Did you even go to Opticsplanet and look at their open box and demo scopes like I recommended?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
I'd suggest a used scope by Leupold (full lifetime warranty, even if you didn't buy it new). I hear Vortex has a similar warranty, but I don't know that to be a fact. And Nikon and Burris will do fine also.
Hmmm leupold, they're not exactly selling for less than $200, and vortex are $200 at least.
There's no need for calming down. In my opinion, remember MY opinion, if you spend more than $200 for a scope, it better be for hunting something very important from a very long distance, competition, or taking out a threat in a warzone that you just can't get close to. For what I'm using the gun for, I don't see anything about any scope over $100 that would make it any easier to take out a squirrel or punch a battleship target at my buddies house. Now, when I get enough property and room to shoot 1,000 yards with a proper long range rifle that I pay upwards of $2,000 for, then I'll go out and get the best of the best. If you feel comfortable paying $300 for glass on a $150 gun, good for you. But I have other things that I can put cash into. I recently participated in a Zombie shooters pistol match and would much rather advance in that or in my actual hunting equipment for deer season. I hunt for food, not for TV, so I can do without the most expensive best of the best there too.

And yes, I checked optics planet, their deals aren't exactly as good as the current deals I have found locally.

Thanks for everyones input. But has anyone had any experience with the Simmons 8point or blazer?

Last edited by haliwa04; August 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old August 11, 2013, 11:18 AM   #13
allaroundhunter

If you are hunting something very important, a scope $700 or more is a good choice. If you shoot competition, a $400 scope is a minimum for a cheaper scope. If you shoot long range competition, $1,000 is about a minimum...

$150-$200 is about as low as I would want to go on any scope...

Now, if you see that as a "high end" scope, then I guess you will end up learning the hard way the 'buy once, cry once' rule. Many people here have offered their opinions based on real world experiences, and it seems that, contrary to your title, another lesson is in the future.
Old August 11, 2013, 11:56 AM   #14
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter View Post

Now, if you see that as a "high end" scope, then I guess you will end up learning the hard way the 'buy once, cry once' rule. Many people here have offered their opinions based on real world experiences, and it seems that, contrary to your title, another lesson is in the future.
I've already learned a lesson, that forums are for people with deep pockets and little respect for budget minded people who are asking for an honest opinion, not to get bashed for not being able to or not wanting to blow a chunk of a paycheck on something that will get used once or twice a month. If I can find a $150 scope for $60 are you going to tell me that its a piece of junk? Probably. I prefer using iron sights, but recently started shooting a little further than I can focus with naked eyes. I don't feel the need to pay that much when I can search and be patient and find a deal. So, unless you want to be generous.... I'll stick with what I can afford to use once or twice a month.
Old August 11, 2013, 12:12 PM   #15
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haliwa04 View Post
I've already learned a lesson, that forums are for people with deep pockets and little respect for budget minded people who are asking for an honest opinion,

If I can find a $150 scope for $60 are you going to tell me that its a piece of junk? Probably. I prefer using iron sights, but recently started shooting a little further than I can focus with naked eyes. I don't feel the need to pay that much when I can search and be patient and find a deal. So, unless you want to be generous.... I'll stick with what I can afford to use once or twice a month.
To answer the first part. You came here saying that you learned your lesson about cheap optics, but then replaced said 'cheap' optic with another. We have you our opinions, some of them that we have also learned the hard way.

To answer the second part. No, we would not call that cheap, we would call it a good deal.

No one here is suggesting that you put a $1500 scope on your 10/22, but I have a friend who has done just that. It is tack driving rifle and he shoots it out to 300 yards with that scope. If you want us to be optic snobs then we can tell you that you shouldn't spend any less than $3,000 and should have a Schmidt and Bender scope on your rifle, but we haven't because that would be impractical. The scopes that we are suggesting, while over $100, are scopes that will allow you to do what you'd like, and allow you to do so for the rest of the life of that gun without having to worry about spending one more cent on another optic.

So, you can spend $60 on another 'budget' scope, and then possibly (probably) have to replace it within 5 years and pay another sum of money. Or purchase a $150 scope with a lifetime warranty and never worrying about buying another scope for that gun again. Your call, but we did give you our opinions.
Old August 11, 2013, 01:30 PM   #16
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter View Post
So, you can spend $60 on another 'budget' scope, and then possibly (probably) have to replace it within 5 years and pay another sum of money. Or purchase a $150 scope with a lifetime warranty and never worrying about buying another scope for that gun again. Your call, but we did give you our opinions.
The Tasco came with a lifetime warranty. In fact, in doing my research, most brand name optics carry a lifetime warranty. Its kind of like holsters. I paid $50 for a hybrid from one guy on a forum, lifetime warranty. It was made from .06 kydex and broke within a week. I had to send it back to him, took him 3 weeks to replace the shell and send it back. Broke again, I asked him to use .08, and haven't heard from him since. I paid $50 for a name brand holster, .08 kydex and I broke a screw tightening the retention. The company sent a new set of screws, made from harder steel and that's all they use for all holsters. So, its not the price, but who you buy from. I called Tasco and got a voice prompt that never even said the name Tasco. I called Simmons just to check and within 3 minutes had someone on the phone. Just as I did with leupold.

I asked for opinions on two specific scopes from people who have experience with them. Wasn't being unappreciative, just want to keep on subject and keep this from being a lecture thread.
Old August 11, 2013, 04:21 PM   #17
603Country

Whew! You asked for opinions and you got them. You want cheap? Drive over to my place in central Texas and I'll give you a BSA fixed 4 power. Or I'll sell you an old steel tube Weaver K4 for whatever the market price is. I think a fellow could drive nails with that old Weaver and not kill the scope.

As for the "lecture", most of us have had scopes fail on us, and some of those scopes weren't cheap. That causes us to lean toward scopes with good warranties and not limited warranties. My suggestion to you was that you look for a used Leupold. I think you could find an affordable one, and the moment you own it the lifetime no excuses warranty comes into play.

If you want to disregard the suggestions of seasoned hunters, go ahead and buy whatever cheap scope you want. Doesn't matter to us.
Old August 11, 2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Somehow, I doubt the problem has anything to do with "cheap" scopes and a lot to do with the fact that both of those scopes were used and came from someone who was less than honest.

I've used almost nothing but cheap scopes for most of my life. Until about 5 yeas ago, I never paid over $150 for one and I had exactly one fail me, and it was the one I paid over $150 for.

Get yourself a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 3-9x for like $70. They work great on a 22.

And, everybody, let's drop the bickering about what's cheap and what isn't and what lessons we've learned.
Old August 11, 2013, 06:26 PM   #19
haliwa04

Maybe I wasn't clear. The BSA that came on the gun functioned fine, but was not enough magnification for the targets or distance I was shooting at. The scope was actually supposed to be removed before I bought the gun, but the knucklehead stripped the screws. I bought better rings last night and waiting for a clear day to try the 4x again. I thought my friend had a high dollar big name scope on his target 10/22, but I found out its only a simmons 8point. I have 2 young kids and a gf with 2 younguns as well. I don't see the point in spending over 50-75 bucks on a scope that won't get hunted with. Now, when it comes time to take an elk or something special, I'll go drop coin on a nice scope. So, if you want to continue being hardheads and trying to bicker me out of my question, so be it. I don't pay anything to be a member here, and I definitely don't get paid to get lectured. If you've used, owned, tested, etc a SIMMONS 8 POINT OR BLAZER, which I can currently get either in like new condition for $25, please give feedback. Otherwise, go find some mall ninja newb to argue with. That is all, thank you have a nice day.
Old August 11, 2013, 06:33 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

And we didn't drop the bickering nonsense so that'll be the end of that.
Closed Thread

Tags
cheap , idiot , scope , tasco