The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 11, 2013, 07:59 PM   #1
ninjaamt

Better feeding in a .45 with semi hollow point??

Strange but true, regarding my older .45cal AMT! Although I have had great success with new style mags., such as Tripp and Wilson, the Hornaby critical defense ammo chambers, fires and ejects essentially 100% of the time even with a stock mag. Now this gun is very finicky and like many .45s was designed to fire ball type ammo. Other internet posts note that most problems with the AMT are failure to fully lock into battery. I figure that it somehow lilkes the more traditional bullet shape of the Hornaby round over the bulbous shape of the standard ball ammo. What do you think? Thanks!
Old May 11, 2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Nathan

Maybe, but I'm struggling with what physical changes make a gun ball or more JHP friendly.

On shorter stroke guns a bullets profile and the shells OAL can mean a lot to feeding.

I'm thinking bringing calipers and measuring OAL would be best. The just buy the shortest. Shorter will feed faster...Although, depending on the gun, because some guns are over spring and need slowed down...I.e. longer OAL.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
jrothWA

What year is the Amt?

For those made in the 80's and up, were modified to feed HP ammo.

Normally, the feed ramp is polished to insure that the surface has no imperfections to retard the HP moving up the ramp face.

Then the edges of the chamber are "broke/ relieved" to act as a "funnel" that the hp round won't hang-up on.

There's plenty of information regarding this procedures, that you could attempy or find a good .45 smith to handle it.
Old May 20, 2013, 02:59 PM   #4
dgludwig

I can't speak for the AMT pistol, but it's been my experience that nothing feeds more reliably in a semi-auto pistol than hardball (fmj) ammunition.
Old May 20, 2013, 05:51 PM   #5
RickB

Quote:
lilkes the more traditional bullet shape of the Hornaby round over the bulbous shape of the standard ball ammo
What shape is more traditional than hardball?
Old May 20, 2013, 07:14 PM   #6
EdInk

Unless the ammo shortage has forced you to buy somekind of knock-off brand, it's is HORNADY.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:24 PM   #7
kraigwy

Sometimes you just have to go "old school".

My USGI 1911a1 don't care what you feed it. It just keeps going and going.

And I've loaded some real junk trying to find out what it doesn't like.

My Series 70 Gold Cup is the same way.

I just use cheap old GI magazines in both.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 20, 2013, 09:15 PM   #8
s4s4u

Quote:
more traditional bullet shape of the Hornaby round over the bulbous shape of the standard ball ammo
Is not ball ammo considered traditional? Not all FMJ are created equally relative to the ogive. If your gun is not going into battery, try setting the bullet back a few .001"