The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 19, 2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Blade37db

Your assistance please

I am in the process of crafting a letter to my senators and representatives to express my opinions on the impending anti-gun legislation that is bound to come their way.
In doing so, I would like to include links to articles where armed citizens helped to thwart an armed attack, whether aimed at a large group (ex. school or mall) or a single person. For example, I have already included links to an article about the civilian who engaged, but did not fire, during the Oregon mall shooting. I also belive there was another case at a school down south a few years back (involving an armed teacher or staff member), but do not recall the specifics.
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks!
Old December 19, 2012, 07:55 PM   #2
BarryLee

Here's a few:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 19, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Don't waste your time. As mentioned in a couple of other threads, all letters to congresscritters are opened and scanned by low-level staffers. They skim the letter to see what issue you're writing about and which side you're on (and they aren't interested in nuances), so they can put a check mark in the appropriate column under that issue for tabulating the results.

State the issue in the subject line and state your position/opinion in the first or second sentence. Take another paragraph or two to expand, if you feel the need, but don't fool yourself that anyone is going to sit down with your letter in front of a computer and check out your links. Not ... gonna ... happen.

Make your statement.

Explain your statement.

Re-state your statement.

Respectfully yours,
John Doe, Constituent.