The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 17, 2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Boomer8404

Problems with my BlackHawk

A couple of months ago I started a post about my brand new New Model Blackhawk .41 Magnum not being able to cock just after the first two rounds were fired. ( http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397291 ). I finally got around to going out to shoot it again. I initially thought that when I had cleaned it right after I had just gotten it, that I had not gotten the Base Pin seated all the way in. Anyways, I fired off two rounds and it happened again, it wouldnt cock. So I read through my old thread, and thanks to Pathfinder45 and his post it lead me to the problem. I found that the Base Pin Retainer wasnt moved over far as on my dads 6" .41 BH. So, I took the Base Pin out and the Base Pin Retainer and found that there was a big metal burr in the way, keeping the Base Pin Retainer from its full range of movement to keep the Base Pin in its place during recoil. I simply used a dremel with a drum shaped stone to remove the burr and it all works perfectly now.

Anyways, just a note to fellow Blackhawk owners.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2
drail

I have had that exact gun and currently have a Bisley .41 Mag. and I put Belt Mountain's base pins in both of them using the set screw locked into a detent drilled into the barrel. That stopped mine from moving under recoil. Keep an eye on that pin. They like to walk.