The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2010, 03:46 AM   #1
Scribe

New rifle advice.

Hi Chaps,

advice sought regarding a new rifle. I’ve wanted a 92 action for years and have finally got one. It’s an Armi Sport Chiappa, brand new, unfired, case hardened finish with a round 20 inch barrel in .44 magnum. Just picked it up and have not shot it yet because it’s the first lever action I’ve owned and I wanted to read the manual and get it right.

I wanted to ask if there are any suggestions about running it in etc. The action seems tight but smooth and the initial shooting will be with factory ammo, probably Magtech.

First impressions are positive. I know that .44 won’t deliver full bore performance, but compared to the Mausers and Mosin Nagants I’m used to this thing sits in you hands like a magic wand.
Old March 14, 2010, 10:19 AM   #2
10-96

Just run it like ya stole it!
I don't have that model, but I have a Winchester 94 16" .357 Magnum. I still get amazed at how clean the action stays even over hundreds of rounds. Just use a quality lube (mostly for rust prevention) in the innards.

And, I still get amazed when I see a post from the Empire about somebody getting a new rifle. We've had it pounded into us for years that you all were 100% stripped of all firearms and when I ran across a MidwayUK- I got all sorts of confused.

But anyway, just shoot your .44 like you was born to it and clean/maintain like any other rifle and let it break in (run in?) like any other rifle. Have fun and let us hear from ya & let us know how it's behavin.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 15, 2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Scribe

10-96

Thanks for the advice which I'll put into practice as soon as possible. My life is a bit like a slow motion train crash at the moment and it may be a month or two before I get to the range.

Regarding firearms owner ship over here, we are still allowed repeating rifles and shotguns. But all firearms are registered, you have to jump through hoops every five years to keep your certificates, and possession is only for sporting or recreational purposes. Though technically our Bill of Rights enable us to own weapons for self defence, in reality it is not an option.

And the press across the board here cannot decide which is the more vile. A law abiding firearms shooter or a convicted paedophile
Old March 16, 2010, 10:27 AM   #4
10-96

Are you in a damp area? I just had a thought that you might want to pull the wood off and see if it's had a sealant, like tung oil or something similar, applied to it. Maybe this isn't an issue, but gosh I hate to see bare wood... even when it's hid.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
And the press across the board here cannot decide which is the more vile. A law abiding firearms shooter or a convicted paedophile
One is a private free citizen, the other is a friendly old man. The press does not like free citizens.