The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 7, 2007, 11:33 AM   #1
piercfh

Interarms MK X

I bought this rifle thinking it was a .270. I cant find anything on the rifle that says its a .270. The bolt face/shell holder is much larger than the one on my other Mauser action .270 as well.

numbers from the right front of the receiver read b 96376 also the numbers 087 are on the rear. It also says manchester england on the other side.

thanks
Old July 7, 2007, 04:21 PM   #2
dutchy

Mmm, interesting, and the question was?
Old July 7, 2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Phelptwan

I thought it was a .308
Old July 7, 2007, 06:53 PM   #4
RJay

Nothing can be learned from the serial numbers. A quick trip to the local gunsmith, chamber cast, mike it, and presto, the caliber. Should only cost a few dollars. Or you can order what you need from Brownells, do it your self, same cost, twice the aggravation. Sorry about that.
Old July 7, 2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Scorch

Sounds like a Parker-Hale, not a Mark X.

Just a guess, but I would guess 7mm Rem Mag based on what you said about the bolt face.
Old July 8, 2007, 02:50 PM   #6
piercfh

I hate to say it but Im goint to try and get my money back. Im pretty sure its a 7 mag, but there isnt anything that says it is. Also the safety doesnt work properly and the pin that holds the floor plate in is gone. O and not to forget the stock is cracked. There has to be something very wrong with selling someone a rifle and claiming its the wrong caliber. Im not saying I got scammed, but it was definitely a crappy deal.

thanks for all the help guys.

Frank
Old July 8, 2007, 07:19 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Interarms Mark X rifles were definitely marked on the barrel with the caliber, and so were Parker-Hale rifles. I suspect yours was rebarrelled at some point, the owner ran into problems (maybe the stock cracking) and unloaded it. Gunsmiths normally mark the caliber on the barrel when re-barrelling, but some amateurs don't. So you have a "no caliber" rifle that probably was worked on by someone at some time. The receiver is a good one, and may be OK, but unless you got the rifle at a good enough price to be able to afford a new stock and/or some other work, you might be better to get your money back. (Of course, then it becomes someone else's problem, but we do need to be heartless at times.)

Jim
Old August 3, 2007, 02:39 AM   #8
InferriCanis

Mystery rifle........

What you appear to have is a barreled action that was once sold by Herters as the U9. This was available in a lot of chamberings, so instead of guessing have a chamber cast made. If memory serves, these were made by BSA. Hope this helps.
Old August 3, 2007, 08:00 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

All Herter's "Model Perfect" rifles and barrelled actions were marked with the caliber.

Jim