The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 31, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
sigcurious

Range Finding: Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC, Leupold rx650, or other?

For budget minded range finding these two, seemed to provide the best bang for your buck, based on a forum search and general internet search. Are there other options I should be considering for target shooting at 300 yards or less?

Most of the information I found tended to reference hunting where the light conditions and how reflective the target are greater factors than for my use. Before spending the cash on something I was hoping to clarify if a less expensive model would work just fine given that I could make the conditions more ideal by leaving a reflective surface at my shooting location to range find off of, then range find from my target location.

Something else I considered was just getting a gps unit, to get an approximate range which would also provide me with additional functionality. Has anyone gone this route for target shooting? I'd imagine the additional temp, barometric and altitude information that some units provide would be useful as my shooting progresses.
Old June 1, 2012, 08:13 AM   #2
oldandslow

sig, 6/1/12

I've had the Leupold 650 for a couple of years and used it on about 25 or 30 hunts. It gives good readings and is simple to operate. I mainly hunt in hills and brush and no problem getting readings to 300 yards. I have not tried longer distances. I think I paid $199 new for mine. I have no experience with the Bushnell. Good luck.
Old June 2, 2012, 08:02 AM   #3
603Country

I have a Nikon 600 that's maybe 6 years old (at least). It's good to about 400 yards sometimes. Always is good to 300 yards. You could probably pick one up real cheap, and it'd do fine for 300 yard target shooting. For hunting, if I was going to get a new one, I wouldn't go with anything less than a rangefinder rated for 1000 yards. From what I've seen, the worst case range of most of them is going to be about half of the rating.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:57 AM   #4
sigcurious

Just thought of something, do range finders get interference from mirage type effects(I shoot in the desert)?