The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2013, 08:39 PM   #1
papershotshells

Sig 2022 thoughts?

Gentlemen,

I am looking to add a fullsize, double action, hi cap 9mm to the battery. After doing some reading and looking at a few at local shops, I am considering the Sig 2022.

Does anyone have one that they'd like to give an honest opinion about?

I have a Springfield XD 45, 1911s, etc, and I don't care for how Glocks fit my hand so I'm looking for something different. Plus, I've never had a Sig and the price seems right.

Thoughts??

Paperhsotshells
Old November 21, 2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

They're good guns. I had one for a while and I liked it. I'm a big Sig fan boy, but I just prefer the classic series - 220/226/229.

For polymer guns, I like Glock and M&P series...

It has a nice smooth trigger though. And they come in at a good price. If you're looking at picking one up, I'd say go for it.
Old November 21, 2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

What's your price point?
Old November 21, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Good gun at a good price. They've come up a bit from the steal they once were. What price are you looking at for the SP2022?
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 21, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
gc70

I don't have the SP2022, but I can speak to the original SP2009, which differed from the SP2022 by having an internal extractor and a proprietary rail.

The SigPro series is rock solid, with high build quality, accuracy and reliability. The trigger on my example surprised me by being even smoother than those on P-series Sigs.

My only complaint with the gun is that my little finger is sometimes pinched between the grip and mag base when shooting; why Sig chose to make the grip so short and use a huge mag base is beyond me.
Old November 21, 2013, 09:50 PM   #6
rickmelear

Just my opinion. After owning several poly da/sa pistols I far prefer the the 2000 series Sigs to any d/a series H&K series on the planet. Sig has a,much better trigger, a much more solidly built frame and in my opinion more accurate for half the price. YMMV but this is my opinion
Old November 21, 2013, 10:28 PM   #7
pat701

Great pistol at a best buy price, go for it!!
Old November 21, 2013, 10:47 PM   #8
papershotshells

Thanks for the input gents.

Seems like a solid design and I like the ergonomics of it.

Kevin,

I can get a new 2022 for $469, with regular sights and 2 mags. I also found a used one, with night sights and 3 mags for $400.

Papershotshells
Old November 21, 2013, 10:55 PM   #9
ejhc11

I owned a few Sigs but the SP2022 was my least favorite. The kickback from the recoil seemed a lot stiffer and I always had to warmup a few shots before I could hit my point of aim.

Yes, Sigs are not cheap but the P226, 229, 220, 228s are worth the additional costs. I love my 40 caliber P229's versatility - change drop-in barrel to go 357Sig, pull out slide and change out to 22LR slide.

Old November 21, 2013, 11:32 PM   #10
HungryHunter

Great pistol for the cost. I'll guesstimate 5k rounds through mine, no issues, shoots any brand of ammo. Cheap, durable, reliable. I think I paid $419, with night sights, diamondplate, and two mags at Academy.

All that being said, much prefer the "feel" of a 220. That's a whole different animal though.
Old November 21, 2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Kevin_d77

CZ75 is a fantastic gun as well and can be had for under $500! Cheaper mags too!
Old November 21, 2013, 11:54 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
Cheaper mags too!
You can get mags straight from MecGar now that are pretty cheap.
Old November 22, 2013, 12:26 AM   #13
FALPhil

Quote:
CZ75 is a fantastic gun as well and can be had for under $500! Cheaper mags too!
Yeah, but Sigs are for people who don't know about CZ.
Old November 22, 2013, 03:38 AM   #14
Tomac

While I like the shooting comfort of the metal-frame P-series SIGs, I prefer the lighter weight of the 2022 for CCW. Besides the lower weight, I find it's accurate, points naturally, has a smooth DA/SA transition, is substantially cheaper and the controls are very egronomic for me (YMMV).
To date I've discovered no downsides to the P2022 except there isn't as wide a variety of holsters available as there are for some of the older/more popular designs.
Tomac
Old November 22, 2013, 07:44 AM   #15
745SW

“The kickback from the recoil seemed a lot stiffer”

I believe this would be true for the compact, 4”, Sig 2022. A low-mass polymer frame hammered pistol like the Sig 2022, Ruger P95 and many of the polymer framed HK’s will have a comparatively harsh recoil. IMO the hammer will transfer the force of the recoiling slide to the frame early in the recoil cycle making the felt recoil more and increasing the susceptibility to limp wristing. That’s why a polymer-framed pistol, IMO, makes sense as a striker rather than hammered.
Old November 22, 2013, 08:46 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
A low-mass polymer frame hammered pistol like the Sig 2022, Ruger P95 and many of the polymer framed HK’s will have a comparatively harsh recoil. IMO the hammer will transfer the force of the recoiling slide to the frame early in the recoil cycle making the felt recoil more and increasing the susceptibility to limp wristing. That’s why a polymer-framed pistol, IMO, makes sense as a striker rather than hammered.
Most of what I own these days are hammer fired polymer handguns. I've also owned every striker fired polymer handgun in current production. I have never had, nor has my 5' wife with tiny hands, any issues with limp wristing with those hammer fired guns. I have had and have seen her have issues with the striker fired guns. As for recoil, the hammer fired guns may have slightly more recoil than the striker fired guns, simply as a result of bore axis. But I have found the difference to be very small.

To me limpwristing is more a result of the shooter's ability to control the firearm physically, and in this area ergonomics can be king. My wife has never limp wristed nor had malfunctions from doing so with my HK P2000, a compact polymer framed hammer fired gun. In fact she shoots it okay. A Glock 19, however, is too bulky in the grip for her and she limpwrists it constantly.
Old November 22, 2013, 09:05 AM   #17
Destructo6

The SIGpros are great defensive guns at any price.

I have an older SIGpro 2340 and it has performed well. I can't recall any failures of any sort.

I've seriously considered a newer 2022, just because.

Keep all of them clean.
Old November 22, 2013, 09:51 AM   #18
745SW

“Most of what I own these days are hammer fired polymer handguns. I've also owned every striker fired polymer handgun in current production. I have never had, nor has my 5' wife with tiny hands, any issues with limp wristing with those hammer fired guns.”

I’m sure most here on TFL will not be affected by LW (limp-wristing) but given a high enough round count in a single session or having some physical issues at the time may prove to be different. I like to think or try to be totally immune to LW by using my weak hand and/or to have a round count high enough to cause fatigue and still not have pistol cycling issues. All of my hammered pistols are metal and most are all steel.

Low bore-axis is a feature/element that is brought up frequently with pistols but to this day I really can’t see what advantage it has over a higher bore-axis especially since the difference is only a small fraction of an inch. A higher bore-axis means more frame material at the top of the receiver helping tame recoil. The higher bore-axis also makes it easier to bring the pistol up to eye level while a low axis necessitates more wrist bending. This same wrist bending gives the wrist more vertical movement ability that appears to encourage more roll in the recoil.

The rifle world is different. I can’t recall anyone complaining of the extremely high bore-axis of the AR platform while the AK as an extremely low bore-axis. Yet overall I believe people like the AR because of its ergonomics.
Old November 22, 2013, 11:05 AM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
Low bore-axis is a feature/element that is brought up frequently with pistols but to this day I really can’t see what advantage it has over a higher bore-axis especially since the difference is only a small fraction of an inch. A higher bore-axis means more frame material at the top of the receiver helping tame recoil. The higher bore-axis also makes it easier to bring the pistol up to eye level while a low axis necessitates more wrist bending. This same wrist bending gives the wrist more vertical movement ability that appears to encourage more roll in the recoil.
Your comments were mostly in agreement with mine.

I make no claims of being immune to limpwristing. It's why I typically won't go above 300 pistol rounds in a session. Not because I start having limpwristing failures, but because fatigue has set in and it no longer feels beneficial to keep the session going. My fundamentals have started waning and I'm just reinforcing bad behavior.
Old November 22, 2013, 11:42 AM   #20
swman

I've had a SP2022 9mm for about a year and use it as a carry gun. It's as accurate as my other SIGS, recoil is minimal and accuracy is excellent. Never had a misfed and the rail handles lights and lasers. I carry it in a IWB. Price was $419.00. Lightweight with a smooth rounded trigger. You won't regret buying it; the French National Police haven't.
Old November 22, 2013, 11:43 AM   #21
Uncle Malice

Quote:

The rifle world is different. I can’t recall anyone complaining of the extremely high bore-axis of the AR platform while the AK as an extremely low bore-axis. Yet overall I believe people like the AR because of its ergonomics.
There is so much wrong here that I don't know where to begin. I'll start off with the AR definitely NOT having a high bore axis. It's a completely linear platform. The stock is perfectly in line with the bold and barrel. All recoil is transferred directly rearward. There is definitely not a high bore axis on the AR platform.

With regards to pistols, it's a similar idea. The lower the bore axis is to the point of contact with the body - in this case, the hand by the lower grip, the less muzzle flip it will have. This has a perceived effect of lower recoil since there is more energy transferred rearward, vs on an high axis above the contact. To take this idea to the extreme, think about how the recoil would feel if you were to take a glock 26, put an extended 33rd magazine in it, and hold it by the very bottom of the magazine when the round went off. Obviously, the gun would flip rearward with a lot more force then when holding naturally.

I agree that the low bore axis/high bore axis argument is often times overblown, but it is definitely there; and a higher more axis certainly does not help to tame recoil. Glocks and 1911's have fairly low felt recoil for guns of their size, weight, and given caliber because of the traditionally lower bore axis. With Sigs in 9mm which do have a rather high bore axis(I'm referring specifically to the classic P series) the perceived difference in felt recoil is mitigated by the overall increased weight of the gun.

As for sight alignment, it should have little effect with proper stance/technique.
Old November 22, 2013, 12:10 PM   #22
Martowski

I have a number of 9's including the SP2022. In short, it's an excellent pistol and a "best buy" in my book. Now, keep in mind I paid around $350 for mine brand new with night sights; once it gets closer to $450 then there's a lot of other alternatives to consider. Not necessarily "better", but alternatives. Here's a couple posts I've made in my blog about the SP2022.

http://martowski.wordpress.com/2012/...stols-my-pick/

http://martowski.wordpress.com/2012/...vs-sig-sp2022/
Old November 22, 2013, 03:21 PM   #23
745SW

“There is definitely not a high bore axis on the AR platform.”

I stand to be corrected and/or clarification. I meant the bore-axis relative to the pistol grip of the long gun. Today unlike yesteryear, AR15, the most common version of the AR is the M4 or M-Forgery (non Colt) that has the collapsible butt. I imagine the M4 and AK are used without the butt extended at times mitigating the stocks use.
Old November 22, 2013, 03:44 PM   #24
LockedBreech

Sig 2022 thoughts?

I like the 2022 series. When they were $399, they were unbeatable bargains. At the current $450-500 price point I'd pick a number of firearms over them, particularly M&P, but they're still good.
Old November 22, 2013, 05:08 PM   #25
papershotshells

Ok Gents,

I'm convinced. I "pulled the trigger" on the purchase today. Put $300.00 down and I'll probably pick it up some time next week after I get paid for a small remodeling job.

Now to find some good leather for it, but that's another topic, lol.

Thanks for all the input.

Papershotshells