The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2012, 07:13 PM   #1
hellbent

Huppert 434 Burn-out Furnace

Good evening, many of you might see me as digging through the past, but I have a serious question. About the kiln mentioned above in the subject heading, does anyone have an instruction manual or know how to get the thing running? I have yet to find instructions on line and my requests to the company are clearly falling on deaf ears.....

The one I have has been used, parts of the refractory are cracked with some chunks missing(nothing major), and it does turn on, the coils light up and the thermostat reads about 150 or so....however, the label on the front instructs you to turn it to the right to start it. When you get it hottish, and go to move the knob to the left so as to reach appropriate temperatures, as soon as it hits the off direction, it shuts off. Am I supposed to let it get to a higher temp and then switch it in the right direction? If you try to spin it around in the same direction, it trips a shut-off. Is the unit broken or in need of repair and I just don't know it?

I'm trying to harden some 10/22 parts I modified, and am not willing to buy an oxy torch. This was free, and frankly I feel it is a sfer alternative.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 25, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

A propane torch and a firebrick would be a lot quicker, cheaper to operate, and more controllable.
However, you also have to know how to heat treat steel, and what steel it is. If you "modified" the parts and didn't get them too hot to alter the original heat treat, nothing further is necessary.
Old January 25, 2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Hog Buster

How about here?
http://huppert.com/
Old January 26, 2012, 06:25 PM   #4
hellbent

Call it a free learning experience. The parts were all free, as well as the furnace, and as far as I can tell, the trigger parts are only surface hardened, as the sear/hammer engagment point peens right over when pulled about 20 times, while the factory parts do not....I have a free supply of Kasenit, just need to learn how to work the furnace and get the furnace up to temp.

That sight you recommended has no info on older models, and they have yet to respond to my inquiry.

Thanks for your replies.
Old January 26, 2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

You don't need the furnace to use Kasenit.
Heat the part red with a propane torch, and dunk it in the Kasenit.