Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 13, 2009, 02:11 AM   #1
hardhit

US President Barack Obama authorised navy snipers to kill three pirates

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html
Old April 13, 2009, 03:36 AM   #2
raimius

Drive by posting which is neither Law nor Civil Rights...
Old April 13, 2009, 06:01 AM   #3
divemedic

and Obama did not authorize the shoot. The Captain of the Bainbridge did, after noting that the hostage was in imminent danger. This has been part of the standard rules of engagement for my entire adult life. From the article you linked:

Quote:
The pirates were pointing AK-47s at Captain Richard Phillips and he was in "imminent danger" of being killed when the commander of the nearby USS Bainbridge made the split-second decision to order his men to shoot, Vice Admiral Bill Gortney said.
I fail to see how a 'split second decision' in any way was made in the White House.
Old April 13, 2009, 06:01 AM   #4
Nnobby45

Headline story in the Washington Post was "Captain's Rescue Gives O'Bama an Early Victory".

Below that, of lesser importance, was "Navy SEALS Kill Three Pirates".

I guess you really can't expect a liberal bird cage liner to lead with something like "Navy SEALS Rescue American Capt. Unharmed as the World Watches".

But I guess that's just me, and millions of other Americans who'd rather credit the US Navy, the SEALS, and the ship's crew that took on the Pirates.

Or, to be more simplistic and to the point: How about a victory for America?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/?reload=true

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 13, 2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old April 13, 2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

It does not matter who was in the White House, the incident would be tied to the President, especially since it is so early in his administration and because this is a new event for the administration that will have some affect on how the administration is perceived.
Old April 13, 2009, 06:37 AM   #6
blume357

Very true... how folks will see it politically depends on their

leanings...

Had nothing to do with who is in the white house....

Now what is gun related... is I would like to know more about the Navy shooters who took the shots and how.... has to take some experts to pull that off.. then again they handled it right... wait it out until the right moment.

seems to me with the technology we have, these pirate boats could be tracked down to their location in ports... I think we could take care of the majority of them pretty easily.
Old April 13, 2009, 06:54 AM   #7
skydiver3346

Obama approved shooting?

I just read in our local paper this morning that the Captain of the Navy ship ordered the Seals to use deadly force if they felt the American hostage was in imminent danger (which they did thank God).
President Obama will get the credit as it ended with the hostage being freeded unharmed. However, if it had gone south and the hostage was killed then the ship's commander would be toast. That is just how it goes when dealing with "politics"........
Old April 13, 2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Drive by post.

Not L&CR related.

Fully political in nature and a duplicate of an ongoing thread in the General Discussion forum.

Closed, closed and closed.
Closed Thread