The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2008, 08:21 PM   #1
roc1

223 Brass Problems

I just started loading 223 for an AR.I aquired a set of Lee Dies in a lot of equipment I bought so I thought I would load a couple boxes.I load rifle and pistol all the time but have not had these problems.I keep pulling the head off the brass even with good lube on them.I have a #4 shell holder in the Lee set which shows to be right.The main brass giving problems seems to be marked nny which is what?Military brass gives problems also.If it does not pull the head off it pushes the decap pin all the way backout no matter how tight you tighten it.Does anyone have any ideas?I can cull the brass but I need to know what to look for.
Thanks
roc1
Old September 22, 2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Loader9

The problem is the brass is too soft. I've had the same issue with the same make and Remington Nickel brass. Both are now garbage in my book. As I remember correctly, the nny is made by the same folks as Winchester.
Old September 22, 2008, 08:46 PM   #3
roc1

Thanks Loader9 I guess if that be the case I need to cull all of that out and inspect my cases better as there is a lot of that.
roc1
Old September 22, 2008, 08:54 PM   #4
R.Childs

Had no experience with that brass but what stands out to me is the decapping pin. Is it pulling it out of the die or pushing it in? From your post I can't tell.

Either way, it sounds like your pin is too big for the flash hole.
Old September 22, 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
scsov509

Quote:
what stands out to me is the decapping pin
I had the same thought in reading your post. If you're sure that it's not a lube issue, in I'd give Lee a call and explain what's happening. It might be that your decapping pin is out of spec, in which case a call to Lee would 1) identify the problem and 2) get a new one ordered. I had a problem with a Lee rifle charging die, and after a few weeks of frustration I finally broke down and called for help only to discover that the die was out of spec and I wasn't to blame! I had a replacement in my mailbox within 72 hours and haven't looked back since.

Give them a call. Have a pair of calipers ready as they will probably have you measure a few dimensions to verify the part, and the rest should be simple enough. If it isn't the part, then I'm sure they'll be able to walk you through things so that you identify whatever problem it is. Best of luck,
Old September 23, 2008, 12:08 AM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
If it does not pull the head off it pushes the decap pin all the way backout no matter how tight you tighten it.
Are you using two combination wrenches, with the die held securely in the press? Then giving it absolutely all the strength you have? If not, you don't have it tight enough.

There could also be the idea given above, the flash hole in that brass COULD be undersize. Some foreign brass has undersized flashholes. Also, are you sure it's not berdan primed?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 23, 2008, 01:47 AM   #7
Go Kiwi

NNY is Privi-Partizan brass - not exactly top shelf but not egyptian mil-surp either

I have reloaded hundreds of rounds of NNY brass with no issues. The only times I have pulled off rims is loading .223 & you will find that they stick and then come apart much more easily than larger calibres. I would clean and inspect your die & have a look at your lube setup.
Old September 23, 2008, 06:34 AM   #8
roc1

I have tightened the decap pin in the press with two wrenches extremely tight.The decap pin seems to work fine on other brass.I am using Hornady spray lube which I use on all other rifle calibers without this problem.I have only had this problem on 223.Maybe the die is out of spec or the shellholder?
Thanks
roc1
Old September 23, 2008, 09:06 AM   #9
nickl405

I like to put some lee lube on a qtip and lube inside the case mouth really good as well as using the one shot spray.
Old September 23, 2008, 09:19 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

The pushing of the decapping pin may be the whole problem. If that pushes up far enough during sizing, it will jam the long Lee expander into the neck area of the sizing die and jam the case neck into place. You could try loosening the decapper when the press ram is pressed all the way up, then tapping it down with a plastic hammer to see if it goes down any?

Are you sure you don't have any Berdan primed brass in your mix? That would sure push the decapper up.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 27, 2008, 07:08 PM   #11
HAMMER1DOWN

The military brass

With military brass some or at least a lot of it has been berdan primed which means it has two holes in the bottom of the case where there is normaly only one and when you pull you handle down to decap a berdan primed case you are pushing your decapping pin into the brass between the two holes. A lot of the time that that has happened to me it has been with older military brass, mostly fom Lake City but that could be your problem my suggestion would be to inspect the inside of your cases with a flashlight.