The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 9, 2007, 10:53 PM   #26
roy reali

Example?

If lead is so poisonous, why do doctors leave slugs in people sometimes? I have a friend that had a lead pellet from a pellet gun imbedded in the palm of his hand. Doctors told him that trying to remove it would cause more harm then its worth. He has had it there for some thirty years.

Maybe lead is slow acting.
Old August 10, 2007, 08:59 AM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd like to see some analysis of the particular lead. For instance, if the condors had ingested lead from waterfowl, the deer hunters wouldn't be the problem.

Generally, the furry critters clean up gut piles or lost quail/doves before the buzzards have a chance. Buzzards tend to spot natural-cause deaths earlier, if they're out in open areas. Deer are more likely to be killed in brushy or wooded areas, and not as often out in the wide open country with no cover.

Art
Old August 10, 2007, 02:17 PM   #28
Scorch

Quote:
If lead is so poisonous, why do doctors leave slugs in people sometimes?
Lead is poisonous if ingested (eaten) because it breaks down in stoamch fluids and enters the bloodstream, where it interferes with nervous system function and muscle control. If a piece of lead is lodged in your muscle tissue, it will be quickly encapsulated and will not dissolve to a great extent.

This whole thread is a non-issue. If you check the CA DFG web site, they are not outlawing lead, they are asking hunters to try to minimize leaving lead in carcasses and gutpiles due to the potential for condors to ingest the fragments. Sounds to me like more of an upland game issue than a big game hunting issue. But what do I know?