The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 15, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1
blgoode

Winchester model 670 Safety help

This is a Winchester 1968 model 670. Looks as if it was used very little as there are minimal marks on any blued or blackened steel and the magazine follower isnt marred up very much.

The only thing iffy about it is that in the safety rearward position the bolt doesnt lock down like it should. The middle safety works, and the firing works.

I am thinking screw it - see if it functions well amd use it as is. My only other bolt gun is my fatherinlaws old Browning BBR and i dont want to have that in the woods but this one has no sentamental meaning and deserves to get out and get used!! I wont mind this as a beater so to speak as it didnt cost me anything. Its in .234 so will be a decent round around my area as we dont have beasts in our brush like moose and elk. Just Deer and smaller type game.

Any ideas where to look online for the safety/bolt lock help?

Old November 16, 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
blgoode

UPDATE UPDATE
Okay - I lucked up and discovere a gunshop/smith about 50 min from me. He was very familiar with the 670 and told me to bring him just the bolt. Won't need the gun.

Basically the 670 was a cut corners model 70. Area's in cutting cost was faster assembly = less fitting. Its not that the detent is missing but that the pin isn't long enough to grab the bolt and lock it closed. He is going to work on it and refit the pin.

Cool part is that the gun that he used to test the bolt in was a Feather Weight model 70!!!! So its simple - a 670 is a cut corners Model 70

Other area's they cut corners is a matt blued gun (not polished), birch stock, non checkered ball and fitting such as the slopy pin.

I am thinking if he gets the pin to lock the bolt down this may actually be my most favorite game gun. Reason being is that I don't have but $40 invested in a virtually unused gun from 68' and poor weather and truck riding marks won't bother me in the least!! I also dig the iron sights as well as the bolt gun = more sheapeople friendly for my truck gun.

I hope to get this gun out for some well deserved gunpowder residue.
Old November 17, 2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Ifishsum

I bought a model 670A in .30-06 from a co-worker a few years ago for $125, yes it's just an economy version of the M70 with a cheaper stock. Mine was made in 1971 and it's been a great rifle - I glass bedded and free floated the barrel and it shoots MOA or better consistently. Congrats on the purchase!