The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 25, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1
KBP

What does concealed carry lic really mean?

Not sure if this is the right forum or even the right question. I sometimes carry a good size folding pocket knife with me. Does my CCL allow me any protection against breaking any knife carring laws? I am not talking about carrying switchblades or other illegal knives. If I am stopped by a police officer in PA does the ccl permit include any non firearm weapons? I would not like to go to jail because I carried a folding pocketknife 1 inch too long!
Old February 25, 2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Skadoosh

I doubt it. Here in Virginia Beach, VA, I was issued a conceal handgun license. Better to check with your local license issuing agency.

Quote:
Pennsylvania Gun Laws

NOTE: The information listed below regarding Pennsylvania gun laws is meant as a reference point only. Pennsylvania firearm laws frequently change so be sure to consult your local law enforcment agency before making any final firearms related decisions.
Pennsylvania Concealed Carry Laws

Issuing Authority: County Sheriff or Chief of Police
Statute: 18 PA Cons. Stat. ยง 6106 through 6109
Issue: Shall Issue
Cost: $19
Permit Term: 5 Years
Additional Pennsylvania Gun Law Info

No weapon may be carried on school property, unless it is used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course, or for other reason allowed by law.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Don H

The title of the permit isn't always relevant. For example, Utah issues a "Concealed Firearms Permit" that essentially exempts the holder from certain laws including the law prohibiting carrying "concealed dangerous weapons".

"Concealed dangerous weapons" are defined as:
Quote:
"Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is:
(i) covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence; and
(ii) readily accessible for immediate use.
(b) A dangerous weapon is not a concealed dangerous weapon if it is a firearm which is unloaded and is securely encased.
Which, of course, begs the definition of "dangerous weapons":

Quote:
"Dangerous weapon" means an item that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.
(b) The following factors shall be used in determining whether a knife, or another item, object, or thing not commonly known as a dangerous weapon is a dangerous weapon:
(i) the character of the instrument, object, or thing;
(ii) the character of the wound produced, if any;
(iii) the manner in which the instrument, object, or thing was used; and
(iv) the other lawful purposes for which the instrument, object, or thing may be used.
(c) "Dangerous weapon" does not include an explosive, chemical, or incendiary device as defined by Section 76-10-306.
Under Utah law, a person with a permit (including one issued by another state), could legally conceal a machete or Bowie knife, an Asp or baton, switchblade or automatic knife, etc.
Old February 25, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4
brickeyee

Quote:
Does my CCL allow me any protection against breaking any knife carring laws?
Look up the law authorizing the carry permit and see what is allowed.

It varies by state.

FL issues permits for weapons 9IIRC) while Virginia is just for handguns.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBP
Not sure if this is the right forum or even the right question. I sometimes carry a good size folding pocket knife with me. Does my CCL allow me any protection against breaking any knife carring laws?
It depends on the state and what their laws say. You are from Pennsylvania. You do not have a "CCL," you have a "LTCF" -- License To Carry Firearm.

Ergo, your license offers nothing pertaining to knives. Neither does my home state. Florida, for example, issues a concealed weapons permit, which DOES include knives.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:10 AM   #6
lawnboy

You're in luck. It looks to me like PA doesn't have blade length restrictions. You can find some info right here on TFL http://thefiringline.com/library/blades/knifelaws.html

It seems they're more concerned with automatic opening knives there than they are with blade length.

I live in WA. My license is a Concealed Pistol License. It has nothing to do with knives here either.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old February 26, 2012, 12:53 AM   #7
9mm

It depends on your state, in mine our CCW only covers handguns/revolvers not knife. You can open carry a ninja sword/pirate sword all day long, or a k bar but if it's covered up its illegal.

Most people carry a pocket knife, you just wear them on your short/pants so the clip of the knife is visible.

So for halloween I could be a pirate(big old sword) and it's legal, or Indy Jones with a whip and revolver no permit needed.

I think it should be that way for all states, open carry legal. Just like a construction worker having a tool belt, it's not illegal unless he uses his tools to attack.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:35 PM   #8
rcurry

In Kentucky we have CCW (Concealed Carry Weapons) permits. It covers weapons.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Crazy88Fingers

Yep, here in Florida I can carry a sword if I can conceal it. I could also carry a "common pocket knife" without the permit. Though there is no description in the law of what constitutes a common pocket knife. Regardless, it isn't considered a weapon. Though the local Democrats are trying to change that.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:53 PM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
In Kentucky we have CCW (Concealed Carry Weapons) permits. It covers weapons.
Conversely, in Nebraska, we have a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) ....

Quote:
28-1202. Carrying concealed weapon; penalty; affirmative defense.

(1)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any person who carries a weapon or weapons concealed on or about his or her person, such as a handgun, a knife, brass or iron knuckles, or any other deadly weapon, commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.

(b) It is an affirmative defense that the defendant was engaged in any lawful business, calling, or employment at the time he or she was carrying any weapon or weapons and the circumstances in which such person was placed at the time were such as to justify a prudent person in carrying the weapon or weapons for the defense of his or her person, property, or family.

(2) This section does not apply to a person who is the holder of a valid permit issued under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act if the concealed weapon the defendant is carrying is a handgun.

(3) Carrying a concealed weapon is a Class I misdemeanor.

(4) In the case of a second or subsequent conviction under this section, carrying a concealed weapon is a Class IV felony.
Old February 28, 2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Ben Towe

As has been stated, the name on the license isn't always relevant. Refer to your state law. In Tennessee it covers only handguns. In Kentucky it covers automatic knives, batons, and various other weapons as well.