The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 15, 2014, 08:40 AM   #1026
Real Gun

Quote:
I just picked up a .32 H&R Mag Singe Six fixed sight revolver (NIB). First .32 anything, I've seen ever at gunshows or gun shops.... Also, have one of the Single Six .327s talked about above on request from gun dealer. My plan is make them my reloadable '.22's as it is the 'smallest' common straight walled center fire rimmed case available that I am aware of. Thanks to the .22 shortage, my attention has turned to the little .32.... I have .357s on up for heavier work... So a lead 85g or so bullet at 1000fps-1100fps would be plenty for this little cartriage (for my intended use anyway) .
In scrounging for any valuable brass during my last range visit, I noticed some tiny cases and examined one to find that it was 25 caliber centerfire. It was about the same length as a 22LR. I couldn't imagine reloading them, but who knows?
Old September 19, 2014, 05:54 PM   #1027
A pause for the COZ

1st single sevens are starting to ship the 5 1/2 inch.
Even found a few on Gun broker already.
Stuck a burr under the saddle of my FFL this morning.
So maybe...
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...s=single+seven
Old September 19, 2014, 08:22 PM   #1028
ThundarStick

I had the one that is soon to be mine IN MY HAND TODAY! It had just been dropped at the store by the big brown truck and they hadn't even gotten it in their system yet! This IS the gun that Ruger should have made from the get go! Yes it is one sweet, compact package! May be a week before I shoot it, but it feels like a dream in my hand because it is sized for the round, not the round shoved into some other frame. It is real close to my S&W 627 in frame size and feel. All of you that have one coming, you're going to LOVE it!
Old September 20, 2014, 08:57 AM   #1029
LOLBELL

Took the 327 Blackhawk to the range yesterday for a fun filled afternoon. Carried the chrono for some numbers on some mild reloads. I loaded a 78 grn RNFP over about 3.5 grns of Unique and got an average of 1069 fps in a 10 shot string. I was most impressed at the speed with lack of recoil. Recoil was similar to a Single Six with the mag cylinder in it. Also shot a box of AE 100 grn and man those are smoking. The 10 shot string with those had an average of 1724 with a high of 1838 and a low of 1694. On the second cylinder in the string, first shot, I think, was the 1838 round. I'm not sure which round it was but in that 8 shot load I had a split case from mouth to rim. This was factory AE loads. I gave the BH a thorough inspection and went about my afternoon with no more problems. I don't know whether it was weak brass or over charge, but definitely some sort of problem. Of the other 349 rounds there was no issues. Brass pretty much fell out no splits or other signs of pressure. What ya'll think
Old September 20, 2014, 09:33 AM   #1030
Real Gun

327 Fed Mag velocities should be well up there, just like HV 22LR. If messing around at ~1000fps and even thinking about recoil, you might as well save your money IMO.

On the split case, I wondered about your chambers being oversized. Something to check, I think.
Old September 20, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1031
LOLBELL

been several 1,000 rounds down the pipe- this is the only one to show any signs of over pressure - saving my money is exactly what I am doing. I can load and plink with the 327 cheaper per round than I can plink with a 22. Been doing that for a couple of years now.

Last edited by LOLBELL; September 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old September 22, 2014, 01:08 AM   #1032
Sevens

Quote:
I'm not sure which round it was but in that 8 shot load I had a split case from mouth to rim. This was factory AE loads. I gave the BH a thorough inspection and went about my afternoon with no more problems. I don't know whether it was weak brass or over charge, but definitely some sort of problem. Of the other 349 rounds there was no issues. Brass pretty much fell out no splits or other signs of pressure. What ya'll think
I've done a lot of handloading and shooting with the .327 Federal from all three different Ruger platforms and in my experience, what you found was simply -one- piece of brass that did what so many of them are going to do... just so happens that yours did it on the first loading.

I don't believe it's any manner of a gun or chamber issue.

It think it's much more related to the 45,000 PSI Max limit of this cartridge. Only in my older, thinner R-P nickel and cheap S&B .38 Special brass do I see more splits.

A split in a piece of .327 Federal brass is, in my experience, common. I'd say it's nothing to be concerned about.
Old September 22, 2014, 08:11 AM   #1033
pesta2

Picked my Single-Seven up Saturday 5 1/2". My woman got it for me as a belated B-day present. The dealer told me it was a hard one to get and all are already allocated. He had one more for sale at his shop.
Old September 22, 2014, 05:11 PM   #1034
Gdawgs

You are a lucky man Pesta! Enjoy
Old September 25, 2014, 11:37 AM   #1035
tulsamal

My first .32 Mag was the Ruger Single Six in the short version. Had it for many years now and always reloaded for it. I bought a box of Federal factory ammo for it when it was new. A few of those split at the mouth on their first firing. Even though it was a very mild load. Then I started reloading them and the splits really got going. I thought I was doing something wrong until I tried some Starline brass. Then I had zero splits. I'm not anti-Federal in general but that brass wasn't up to spec.

Gregg
Old September 25, 2014, 01:12 PM   #1036
Real Gun

Quote:
My first .32 Mag was the Ruger Single Six in the short version. Had it for many years now and always reloaded for it. I bought a box of Federal factory ammo for it when it was new. A few of those split at the mouth on their first firing. Even though it was a very mild load. Then I started reloading them and the splits really got going. I thought I was doing something wrong until I tried some Starline brass. Then I had zero splits. I'm not anti-Federal in general but that brass wasn't up to spec.

Gregg
There is no ".32 Mag" of which I am aware. I know of 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal Magnum.
Old September 25, 2014, 01:45 PM   #1037
tulsamal

Really?

Sometimes I wonder.

"Pre-.327," if somebody said .32 Magnum, what did you think they meant? People say .38 Special all the time rather than saying .38 S&W Special. Or .44 Remington Magnum. I've never owned any kind of H&R firearm... I think I can get away with just saying .32 Magnum. I will agree it is a bit more potentially confusing now that the .327 is out there... but I had all my .32 Mags in hand long before the longer version came around.
Old September 25, 2014, 05:52 PM   #1038
jimbob86

I like the .32 cal .... and love the idea of a six shot revolver that is not 1 1/2" wide or more across the middle ..... and now Ruger went and discontinued the gun I wanted ..... maybe I'll run across a used one .....

Last edited by Tom Servo; September 25, 2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Response to deleted material
Old September 25, 2014, 05:57 PM   #1039
ThundarStick

I picked up the new Ruger Single Seven 5.5 inch today! Pictured with the 8 shot BlackHawk 327 Fed.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is THE gun Ruger should have put out first, wonder if that cylinder will fit into a SP101?
Old September 25, 2014, 06:07 PM   #1040
jimbob86

Quote:
wonder if that cylinder will fit into a SP101?
Today 05:52 PM
Doubtfull.

The Nagant cylinder sports 7 .32 holes, with pretty thin walls ...... and it's more than 1 1/2" .....
Old September 26, 2014, 07:16 AM   #1041
WhitSpurzon

Thundarstick,
Thanks for posting the pictures. Excellent comparison shots.

Sure makes it tougher to be patient waiting for mine to arrive though...
Old September 26, 2014, 01:24 PM   #1042
saleen322

I seen a Single Seven today at a LGS. It is a very nice looking revolver. However as I guessed, the cylinder is shorter to the point that the heavy 327 bullets I am currently loading for my Blackhawk are too long for the Single Seven cylinder which appears to be just under 1.5". So long as you stay with lighter bullets or seat them deeper, it should work okay.
Old September 27, 2014, 01:42 PM   #1043
zfk55

I carried a 3.5" .41 magnum for years, but after I hit 65 or so my wrists were done. 50 years of chisel and mallet mural carving left me with little cartiledge in both wrists, so (at my son's suggestion) I tried the, then new, .327 magnum.
I have two. The smaller Taurus I carry in the summer and the Ruger (with Crimson Trace) in the winter with heavier clothes. At a nominal chrono'd 1,450fps a nominal 435#ME with handloads, either of them is a solid carry piece. Hollow points are preferred, and you can order a custom mold for hollow point bullets. I have 2,000 boxer brass cases.

I've heard that the Taurus has a bad rep, but this one has been entirely dependable with no issues whatsoever and I love being able to use four different cartridges.
I have long fingers so I replaced both grips with larger custom ones.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old September 27, 2014, 01:52 PM   #1044
superspirit

Well, I picked up a new single seven yesterday, really like the look and feel of it. since I traded all my .327 brass and ammo off after I sold the defective taurus .327 I now am starting over. lol. since I hadn't got set up to reload this caliber, I thought Id ask you guys A few questions. what are the best set of dies for this caliber, and where can I get some economical cast bullets that will handle 327 velocities, I've been real happy with Falcon bullets, but they dont produce any in this caliber, thanks for any advice.
Old September 27, 2014, 08:07 PM   #1045
A pause for the COZ

Picked up mine yesterday. Took it out today and shot both it an my Taurus 327.

Nice gun, I did notice the feed gate is a little finicky. There is not one extra mm of space not being used to get those 327 rounds in there.
There is just enough play in the cylinder that you can get over center on the ejection port.
The lip can catch on the gate and not come out. Found that if I keep the cylinder left they pop out just fine. But there sure is no extra room.

Hey! XFK55 where did you get bigger grips for your Taurus?
I really need a set.

Here is my Baby!
Old September 28, 2014, 04:58 AM   #1046
Cosmodragoon

I also love .32-caliber stuff and have been happy with .32 H&R and .327 Federal. I too love having 6 where 5 would normally go on a smaller frame. I still wish Ruger would make an LCR in .32 H&R Magnum. I know .327 was supposed to be their baby--their lack of support is depressing--but would it just end up being fireworks in that tiny thing? (I feel like .357 pushes the envelope in an LCR too.)
Old September 28, 2014, 07:33 AM   #1047
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
There is no ".32 Mag" of which I am aware. I know of 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal Magnum.
Quote:
Really?

Sometimes I wonder.

"Pre-.327," if somebody said .32 Magnum, what did you think they meant? People say .38 Special all the time rather than saying .38 S&W Special. Or .44 Remington Magnum. I've never owned any kind of H&R firearm... I think I can get away with just saying .32 Magnum. I will agree it is a bit more potentially confusing now that the .327 is out there... but I had all my .32 Mags in hand long before the longer version came around.
Just spotted a S&W 631 with "32 MAGNUM" stamped on the barrel. Is that a separate caliber or the effective default for "H&R" in the gun's day?
Old September 28, 2014, 08:06 AM   #1048
Sevens

That's another one of scores of examples of one manufacturer not wishing to stamp the name (even the initials...) of another manufacturer on their product.

It's the same thing as every Glock 22, 23 and 27 model that is stamped ".40" on it and absolutely nothing more, even though the cartridge is well established as the .40 S&W.
Old September 28, 2014, 08:15 AM   #1049
Sevens

Quote:
since I hadn't got set up to reload this caliber, I thought Id ask you guys A few questions. what are the best set of dies for this caliber, and where can I get some economical cast bullets that will handle 327 velocities, I've been real happy with Falcon bullets, but they dont produce any in this caliber, thanks for any advice.
Hey superspirit, visit this thread for lots of discussion and ideas for handloading with the .327 Federal.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454312
I've only (so far) used one commercial cast bullet for my .327 Federal shooting and that has been Penn Bullets and his 115gr slug.
https://www.pennbullets.com/32/32-caliber.html
Old September 28, 2014, 11:42 AM   #1050
Real Gun

The die set would be the RCBS Cowboy, the only die set I found that acknowledges the larger size of lead bullets. RCBS is singularly committed to support of cast bullet reloading. I first wasted a lot of die money on other brands to find that out.