The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 13, 2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Brutus

problems logging in

I have been having problems. Sometimes when I log on and then go to a specific catagory I'm no longer logged on. Other times when I go to reply to a post, says I'm there but I'm not and it won't let me reply. Am I in the twlight zone?
Old February 13, 2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Not sure, Brutus. I performed a cursory search and couldn't duplicate your problem. Maybe another Staff member can delve deeper into your issues. Are you waiting for a long period of time between choosing to start a thread and submitting it?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 13, 2011, 06:12 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

It does not appear that it is a problem with your account settings or the forum software.

What browser are you using and do you have any unusual browser settings?
Old February 13, 2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

More to the point, when you log in, are you also checking the little box that says, "Remember Me?"
Old February 14, 2011, 10:20 AM   #5
tyme
Staff

Search for and remove cookies matching "thefiringline".

In IE8:

Tools menu -> Internet Options
Browsing History (middle) section, click on "Settings"
Click on "View Files"
Sort by file name by clicking on the "Name" heading in the first column.

Scroll down until you see files starting with "cookie:"

Find cookies where the second column contains "thefiringline.com" or "www.thefiringline.com" and delete all such cookies (select the right lines by ctrl+clicking in the first column, then right click, then pick delete).

“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 15, 2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Brutus

Just logged on into firing line and while login is good in the main menu and here if I go to Semi auto hundguns I am not. Haven't checked all the other catogories but I will shortly.
Old February 15, 2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Brutus

Just went through all forums and Semiauto handguns is the only one I don't have access to. Are those guys mad at me?
Old February 15, 2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Nope, not mad at you. I checked your access to the forums, and all of them should be accessible by you.

You didn't say, did you do what tyme suggested and delete your TFL cookies? You also need to answer the questions John and Al asked. Without a little help from you we won't be able to do much about the problem.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's really weird, because looking at your forum permissions everything is set to default, which is exactly what it should be in your user group.

I've gone ahead and reset your permissions in semi-auto to "yes."

Hopefully that will override any oddness in your particular profile.

Give it a try again and let us know if it works.

You will probably have to log out and delete your TFL cookies.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 27, 2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Brutus

OK fellas I just logged out, left the forum, deleted all cookies, reentered the forum, logged in clicking "remember me" and I still can't vist or post in the semi auto or rifle forums.
What do you say if you guys just delete me from the forum altogether so I can try with a fresh start?
Old February 27, 2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Moving from Gen Disc to Site Questions and Support...

Old February 27, 2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I just ran through the gambit and there's still no problems on this end that I know of. You sure you're posting correctly?

Old February 27, 2011, 08:12 PM   #13
tyme
Staff

You can post in other subforums though, it seems? And you sometimes can post in this forum and sometimes you can't?

Have you tried with another browser like http://www.google.com/chrome ?

Do you have any firewall or web filtering software running on your computer? You could try disabling it temporarily just to see if that has any effect.

Next time you try to post and it fails, if you can note the exact time+date of the failure, reply with it here or PM me and I might be able to help more.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 27, 2011, 08:38 PM   #14
Mal H
Staff

In addition to good tyme's suggestions, see what happens when you try to go directly to the Rifles forum. Copy this line and paste it in your browser's address field for a blank window or tab (don't even have TFL opened at all):

http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3
Old February 27, 2011, 09:23 PM   #15
Brutus

Still having the same problem except it's getting worse, Managed to log on and create two posts one here and one in semi auto. Niether posted.
My post here described how I had exited the forum, deleted all cookies, reentered, logged in, checking "remember me" seemed to be logged in but when I came back later, all was lost.
What do you think fellas, I think I should be completely removed so I can get a fresh start, Hope you will be able to read this I would hate to have to try typing it a third time
Old February 27, 2011, 10:12 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...I think I should be completely removed so I can get a fresh start...
Removing you and creating a new account won't solve the problem because it's not a problem with your account. It's some kind of an issue with your browser/browser settings or some other software on your computer.
Old February 27, 2011, 10:31 PM   #17
Mal H
Staff

John is right. I can pretty much guarantee you would be having the same problem no matter what user name or account you use.
Old February 27, 2011, 10:35 PM   #18
tyme
Staff

Threads merged.

Please read post 13: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hp?t=440754#13
Old February 27, 2011, 10:36 PM   #19
Mal H
Staff

What you said in post 15 is a clue because both of your posts did get posted.

Is the one in the semiauto forum this one:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. A few questions for Mr. Walt, How durable is the satin nickle finish? Whats CZ's turn around time for custom work?
I would like to have the front and backstrap checkered as well as some trigger work.
I'm beginning to suspect that you are having cached page problems. After you post and you don't see your post in the thread, do you refresh the page?
Old February 28, 2011, 09:46 AM   #20
Brutus

May have solved the problem which may be related to windows 7.
I clicked on "web page privacy policy" under the safety tab, I then right clicked on the first item in the list and allowed cookies from this sight.
So far problem seems resolved.
Old February 28, 2011, 10:48 AM   #21
Mal H
Staff

If you had followed tyme's advice back on Feb 14th (post #5), you wouldn't have gone this long with an unresolved problem. You would have said, "what cookies?", and that would have gotten the ball rolling in the right direction. Deleting all cookies as you did in post 10 doesn't mean there was a TFL cookie there to delete.