The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 15, 2000, 10:21 PM   #1
cc

Hello fellow aficionados!

My gunsmith desperately needs and cannot find a rethreading die for the gas chamber. When he removed the gas chamber plug (at my request) for cleaning/checking, the threads on the plug stripped due to the gas chamber being pressed in on three sides during (apparently) original assembly. The chamber is basically out of round and the plug (or a new one) cannot be threaded in as it now stands.

We'll buy/rent/borrow, but not steal, the right tool. We're just too conservative (not pc correct, but too bad!) to toss my beautiful barrel and buy another just to get around this minor but serious problem.

Your help will be sincerely appreciated!

Chris

[This message has been edited by cc (edited March 16, 2000).]
Old March 16, 2000, 05:06 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Moving to The Smithy.
Old March 16, 2000, 10:51 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

CC, I don't mean to brush you off but you should post this question at www.jouster.com. It's more a M-1 Garand site but there are a lot of carbine owners that might be able to point you in the right direction. If you had brought the rifle to me, we'd be doing the same thing you are right now. Another source for at least information might be the tech support staff at Brownells. www.brownells.com. George
Old March 17, 2000, 12:05 AM   #4
Grayfox

Check Brownell's first. George is dead on that a call to their excellent tech support line may be all that is needed.
Do you know the size, type and number of threads you need? If you do or can find out, try contacting some tool and die companies to see if they have what you need. Vermont American comes to mind as I've used their taps and dies for over 20 years. Sorry, I really have no idea just how to get in touch with them. Try searching the web.

------------------
Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!
Old March 17, 2000, 05:12 PM   #5
BBBBill

That hole is threaded 1/2 x 32. Any good bottom tap with a slight lead ground on the front end will chase the threads. Just be sure to keep it square to the hole. There were GI tools made for this that aligned the tap with the hole. It also served to align the wrench that is used to remove/install the gas plug. They are hard to find now, but not really necessary.