The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 16, 2010, 09:44 AM   #1
2hooked

Origin and info-please on a Jeme or Geme shotgun

Bought a 12 ga S/S yesterday that is European with sling swivels and stock cheek piece. All the ser. numbers match, the barrels are marked nitro with lots of other symbles and the name in script that is either Geme or Jeme.
Can you provide any info as to where and who made it?
Thanks
Gary
Old October 16, 2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Jim Watson

If you showed pictures of some of those secret symbols it would let us tell you where the gun was made, most foreign proof marks are pretty distinctive.
Old October 18, 2010, 08:00 AM   #3
2hooked

pictures

Here are some pics. I hope you can see something that helps.
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-002F.JPG (77.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-007F.JPG (101.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-003F.JPG (71.0 KB, 55 views)
Old October 18, 2010, 09:18 AM   #4
SDC

Your pictures aren't clear enough to be able to see the proof marks, but the styling is German, and the "J..." or "G..." could be any one of several German abbreviations. If you can take some clearer photos, or even draw some of the marks on a piece of paper and post a picture of that, we could probably track it down.
Old October 18, 2010, 09:32 AM   #5
mapsjanhere

Hard to make anything out clearly, but the mark on the barrel looks like the ELG in oval, and there's something like the candlestick on the action, what would make it Belgian. But a clearer set of pictures would help -stay back more to make sure you get it focused, and then zoom in afterward.
Old October 18, 2010, 06:15 PM   #6
2hooked

more pictures

Thanks for your suggestions on the pictures. Here are some more on the proof marks.
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.JPG (89.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-010F.JPG (59.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-011F.JPG (63.6 KB, 49 views)
Old October 18, 2010, 06:26 PM   #7
SDC

You've got a well-made German gun, a Merkel; the "GM" in a shield and the GeMe stand for "Gebruder Merkel", or "Merkel Brothers". It's got pre-WW2 proofs, and Merkel wasn't formed until 1900 or so, so it was almost certainly a "bring-back" in some GI's dufflebag. The proofs show it's a 12-gauge, but these guns commonly have 65mm/2 1/2" chambers, so PLEASE don't shoot it until you have the chamber lengths measured; it would be a shame to damage it.
Old October 18, 2010, 09:47 PM   #8
2hooked

Gun info

Thank you very much for taking a look and providing the information.
Gary
Old October 19, 2010, 07:45 AM   #9
mapsjanhere

Good set of early German proof marks, eagle (preliminary) crown over U (final) and crown over W (choked barrel). The absence of a date stamp usually indicates a pre-WWI weapon. Starting in 1912 there should have been a 70 next to the 12 if the gun was chambered in 12/70. If it's pre 1912 is should have a stamp with the proof load somewhere which you don't seem to have, so my guess is a 12/65 gun made sometime around 1914.
Old October 21, 2010, 09:25 PM   #10
2hooked

Merkel---Trade

Thanks again for the added information.
Is there any chance I could trade this for a Greener in 20ga.? How or where could this be done?

Gary
Old October 21, 2010, 11:00 PM   #11
bob.a

I looked thru my online Bluebook; there's not a lot of info on pre-WWII Merkel shotguns. The only ones listed are either sidelock models, or a boxlock with sideplates, which is not the case for your gun, near as I can make out.

The modern Merkels run a large gamut of values, and without knowing the model and condition it's impossible to deternmine value.

Greener guns are also available in numerous pricepoints, going up to six figures, and down thru a grand or so.

You best bet would be to find an outfit that deals in high-end shotguns. They would have the expertise to value your shotgun, and probably be able to point you toward a Greener. I haven't been in that game for some time, but you might look and see who's dealing in that sort of gun on gunbroker, for openers. I recall Chadick's in Texas as being a high-end double gun dealer; I believe they're still in play.
Old November 7, 2010, 06:12 PM   #12
2hooked

Model 118 Gerbruder Merkel

I ordered a Standard Catalog of Firearms after seeing one at a gun show last week. I think I have found my model number. I would still like to trade it for a Greener or Parker of equal value.
The Merkel has a 14 3/8" LOP, 29" barrels, 2 1/2" twelve gauge chambers, right cheek piece and is in very good to excellent condition. I can provide pictures and more information if anyone wants. I can be e-mailed at [email protected]

Thanks for everyone leading me in the right direction.
Gary