The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 16, 2000, 08:20 PM   #1
railroader

Both of these shoots are monthly. The 1st one is at Lake Arrowhead gun club on June 25. Signups are at 8:30am shooting at 9:00. You need at least a.38 special. Enough mags. or speedloaders for 35 or 40 rounds. LEAD or copper washed bullets, no fmj(3 boxes). No red dot scopes or compensators.We shoot 8" plates, poppers, tombstones ect. Timer goes off you start shooting the course(usually about 25 rounds minimum)till you hit everything. Each shooter shoots this 3 times. Low total time wins. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place get trophies. Afterward we brbq 1/4 lb. dogs with sodas and beer. It's $15 for the shoot and food and drink.The next one is at the olympic shooting park in Chino. This is a bianci style shoot. Everything is in strings of 6,drawn from a holster. Here we shoot plates at 10, 15, 20 and 25yds. We then shoot tomstones from barricades at 10, 15, 25 and 35yrds. We then shoot the tomstones without the barricades at 10, 15, 25 and 50 yrds. On these you need to practice drawing and getting on target fast. Any guns are allowed. Any ammo. You need 144 rounds. There is a practice on July 2nd. there, and the match is on July 9th. It's $12 for the practice day, and $20 for the match day. Get there a little before 9:00 am. Come on out. Email me for more info.
Old June 17, 2000, 12:46 PM   #2
David Berkowitz

I am interested in attending the events, but as a spectator, not a competitor.
I have seen some of these events on TV and and I am interested in trying them, but I would like to watch in person before I do.
Are these events open to the public as spectators?
I have shot at Chino, but on the trap range. Where is the pistol range in relation to the trap range? Every time I was there was for night shoots and I never saw a pistol range.
Where is the range in Lake Arrowhead?
Old June 18, 2000, 05:31 PM   #3
jdthaddeus

Sweet! I would love to come. I am in northern San Diego right now. I love shooting steel!!! I am not familiar with the area though, so I hope it is not too far of a drive.

David - you really should give it a try if you want to go. A lot of people are hesitant to go through the jitters of competiing in front of people, but you should do it just for fun. You will become very addicted. Shooting reactive steel is a blast!

[This message has been edited by jdthaddeus (edited June 18, 2000).]
Old June 19, 2000, 12:47 AM   #4
railroader

jdthaddeus, Lake Arrowhead is about 2 1/2 to 3hr drive from San Diego. It's in the mountains north of San Bernardino. Chino is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from San Diego up I-15. Both matches usually have about 10 shooters and last about 3 hrs. At the arrowhead match if you shoot perfect you will be only going thru about 2 boxes of ammo,more if you miss, 3 boxes at chino. I think they will let you have free range time at arrowhead after the match if you want to shoot (rifles too). If you don't mind driving your more than welcome to come out. Let me know and I'll email you directions.
Old June 19, 2000, 01:38 PM   #5
Hydejam

Railroader,

I'm an Orange County resident and I'd love to come out for the practice and competition shoot in Chino. This would be my first time for such an event. Could you give me directions? Are there any special holster regulations? Please e-mail me: [email protected]

Thanks for the tip!